May 3rd, 2010

Oil spill presents first challenge for Mitch Landrieu

Mitch Landrieu first day as mayor will be consumed with the challenges of the massive oil spill.

(CNN) - The first white mayor of New Orleans in more than 30 years steps into his first challenge as soon as he takes office Monday: the massive oil slick that is creeping to his coast.

The fallout from a ruptured undersea well off Louisiana is spewing about 210,000 gallons (5,000 barrels) of crude a day into the Gulf of Mexico. And efforts to corral the rapidly growing oil spill have so far been unsuccessful.

The slick was still nine miles off the Louisiana coast early Monday, but seas of 6 to 10 feet have made deploying booms to fend the spill off the coast "somewhat problematic," Adm. Thad Allen, the commandant of the Coast Guard, has said.

Full Story

Filed under: Energy • Mitch Landrieu • New Orleans
  1. Clint Houston

I like Mitch lots more than I like his sister. I watched him dive into the murky soupy waters after Katrina and help an elderly black man into a boat. He's a good man IMO, and I wish his the very best.

May 3, 2010 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  2. Monrob

He will do just fine.

May 3, 2010 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  3. TOTUS FOR PRESIDENT

Looks a lot like Joe the Plumber. But unfortunately he is only a legacy politician from yet another Dem family dynasty – Landrieu. He simply inherited this job, not based on any qualifications, so keep your expectations low...

May 3, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  4. Anonymous

What does him being White have anything to do with the challenge he faces???? Just asking?

May 3, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  5. Bob in PA

Not to worry Mitch, Obama has you covered. I mean what Oil Spill could withstand that many media blitzes saying that all resources will be used. I mean, if I were that Oil slick, I would just give up now.

May 3, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  6. Mark from Louisiana

First he needs to do something about the crime & murder rate in new orleans, it's a very dangerous place. Hopefully he will start soon weaning the cradle to grave entitlement folks from their government funded gravy train.

May 3, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  7. JimL

Why is Mr. Landrieu's race part of this reporting? Shame on you, CNN.

May 3, 2010 11:21 am at 11:21 am |