May 6th, 2010

CNN Radio: Getting tough with Arizona

(CNN) - Regarding Arizona's new immigration law, a leader of a Hispanic advocacy group said Thursday that the law "is so unjust, and it's so beyond the pale," that a boycott of Arizona is needed.

Clarissa Martinez of the National Council of La Raza explains why with CNN Radio's Bob Costantini

Listen to Costantini's report:

To subscribe to the Political Notebook podcast in iTunes click here

Filed under: Arizona • Immigration
  1. Dan

When the left forces the rest of us against our will to have a bill we do not like, they say "tough, but we won" "it is democracy" etc. etc.
    When the people of AZ have majority for the bill and the local senate and governor get a state bill that merely states the will of the people and goes against "illegals" only, the left is suddenly against democracy. Then, they take measures that are extreme (while crying out loud about the "tea party" for merely demonstrating).
    Double standard on the elite left is a universal phenomenon, and is disgusting!

May 6, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  2. Ruty

Arizona is doing what ever other state should do.They are cleaning up the streets and taking back their state. Mexico let their prisoners out of jail to come to America, just like Cuba did. Enough is enough. Good for you Arizona for having the balls to fight the system.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Send ALL illegals back to where they came from.

May 6, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  3. jovana

It seems to me that all the people including myself who do not live with this problem daily as they do in Arizona should butt out and leave the decisions to those who live with the situation.

May 6, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  4. alicia

Go Arizona! I wish the rest of the states would do the same!
    We need to take back our country!
    As a Hispanic American I FULLY support this law. I'm sick and tired of people telling the US how to take care and who to let in the country. I say that if you enter the US illegally then you need to be prepared to be sent back to where you came from. You break the law, you should be punished! No free passes!

May 6, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  5. Jason from Hollywood

There's a saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    The liberals would have us now say "If it is broke, don't fix it"

Pathetic. I can already tell this law will help clear out some of the problems Arizona has, how can I tell? Illegal Alien Supporters are protesting and calling for boycotts to the state...

The law hasn't gone into effect yet and here we have all these whiny alien-friendly supporters calling it racist. Guess what? The bill targets the main problem the state has shown to have: Illegal Immigrants.

Health care was a problem for 70 years – should we wait another 40 years to do something about this problem?

May 6, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  6. t22

So Ms. Martinez thinks it's okay if these laws are not enforced? How about robbery, after all those people just want to make a better life for themselves.

May 6, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  7. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Nothing has changed in Arizona, just left Phoenix last week and will go back in July. Visit or live in Arizona and you will find most of what you hear is no more than propaganda. Not supporting anyone with this statement, just facts.

May 6, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  8. Jason from Hollywood

There's a saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    The liberals would have us now say "If it is broke, don't fix it"

May 6, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  9. German,Irish,American

Once again, the liberal racist Democrats are trying to demonize an entire state. The lies coming from these violent, extremist left-wing nuts is unbelievable. Yet, the MSM reports it as truth. I wonder what part of illegal the media and the hatefilled racist liberals don't understand.

May 6, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  10. Ryan

I live in WA – so if WA were to adopt this policy then that means I basically have to walk around carrying my papers like I'm some Jew from the 1940s in Germany because it's possible I might look "suspiciously canadian".

This is not "enforcing the law" – it is flat out racial profiling and it's not aimed at illegal immigrants – it's aimed at anyone who looks Mexican.

I'll tell you one thing, if you get rid of all your Mexicans then you can expect to pay $10.00 per tomato. Because no legal citizen is willing to do hard labour for that cheap – Our prisoners don't even do that kind of work.

They aren't coming over to rob you, they're coming over to WORK and earn a better life like every single one of our great grandparents did. – So if you're going to crush their incentive then come down HARD on the employers – not the employees.

Idiots.

May 6, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  11. phoenix86

This is PATHETIC. The Arizona law simply allows the state to enforce a Federal Law that has been in effect for decades.

It is also kind of ironic that the left decrys the issue of having to prove citizenship yet fully supports having to prove you have health insurance.

Hypocracy and idiocy must be a requirement to be a part of the left.

May 6, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  12. Randy

If La Raza is boycotting Arizona, mission accomplished.

May 6, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  13. Shelly

I agree we need to stop illegal immigration bu AZ law is plain wrong. It is unAmerican. Many here say other countries have tough laws. But we are NOT them, we are America. Please try to be in the shoes of your hispanic friend who is a legitimate citizen/legal of this country. Imagine being asked for your papers. Imagine being looked at as a potential suspect.
    Freedoms of the decent, hardworking, taxpaying people who happen to look hispanic will f orever be diminished.
    We have to stop employers from hiring illegals, develop a better strategy at borders, the Mexican government has to lift it's people and drug trafficking has to be stopped.

May 6, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  14. Gordon Shumway

If you have illegal mexicans pouring into the country, you shouldn't be playing a silly political game by professing to be against profiling. You are profiling and you are doing your job – they're mexicans for gosh sakes!

May 6, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  15. MCD

In a nutshell:

My parents could be legal immigrants from Mexico.
    I could be a legally born US citizen.
    Police could stop & ask me for my "paperwork",
    just because I look like I'm from Mexico,
    and then haul me off to the nearest detention facility
    until somebody comes in and proves my citizenship.

This is not the way to do things in my America.

May 6, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  16. Walter

Well there is a problem in the country that has to be fixed, and you cannot conclude this problem by just sending them back, the US is in War with Irack when we shouldnt is not our business yet Mexico is influencing us with the problems why dont we get into helping them instead so we can stop the vast amount of immigrants coming into this country.

May 6, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Arizona get their legislation prepared by a racist idiot. The man who wrote the bill has many ties with racial groups, now tell me if that law they pasted was racially motivated. That is why the hispanics in Arizona are so pissed off.

May 6, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  18. GOP = the great white dinosaur

Um Dan, why is it when the right forces us into war on lies and fear against "our will" it's democracy etc. etc., when the left questions a facially unconstitutional law (look it up) the right cries?

Why is it the right cries about government takeover and intrusion yet they supported the patriot act which severely eroded our 4th amendment rights, wants the government to control a woman's right, wants the government to control who can and cannot marry, etc.etc.

Double standard on the right is a universal phenomenon, and is disgusting!

The AR bill does not only go against illegals, if you really believe that you are a fool.

May 6, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  19. Rob

Hopefully other states will follow the example of Arizona. I'm from Texas and I hope we will enact similar laws soon.

May 6, 2010 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  20. Washington has failed us

I wonder how many of the self-styled "expert critics" have actually read the law? Never let the facts, get in the way of a good political opportunitiy, right? The biased liberal media is yet again spreading mistruths ans misinformation that the liberal sheep are soaking up all to easily. Smearing your political opponents is more reminiscent of Nazi Germany than anything about this law.

May 6, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. LA

this is insanse. Arizona should be ashamed of themselves. Are they really trying to send us back in our progress? This makes racial profiling legal. How can this country continue to say that people can come here and if they work hard they can be successful? Do any of you who are supporting this understand the difficulty in coming to this country? People don't want to be here illegally. They get no benefits. They work for less than minimum wage. They are at risk constantly of being seperated from their loved ones and not being able to care for those around them. Furthermore, how can you look at a person and assume their ethnic background? Do you know the vast array of skin color, eye color, hair texture, and body types there are in Mexico? There is not a Mexican "identity" and there will never be. I am ashamed that a state in my country would do something so wrong. I would also like to add that I am not Mexican American.

May 6, 2010 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  22. Minnesotan

The United States of America now has it's very first police state. Congrats AZ on becoming the new south! Hope your economy can weather the storm that's about to come down on you guys hard!

May 6, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. capt snarky

Go Arizona!!!! I'm behind you 100%! You are doing the right thing here, despite the whining of the media and latino groups. I will buy your products! I will vacation there this year!

I'm WITH YOU!

May 6, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  24. Al-Chesapeake

It still amazes me that some of the politicians just can't understand
    what the word "illegal" means. Arizona is only cleaning up the mess
    left at their doorstep by the Federal Government by not enforcing
    the laws on the books. If you don't go through customs at a border
    and show proper documentation then you shouldn't be in that
    country. Illegal means you didn't process the proper documentation
    to get in.. PERIOD................

May 6, 2010 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. Al

Arizona should be pat on the back. Standing up for what they need to do. I am planning a trip to Arizona just because we need a state that stands up for them selves. The only people that are mad about this is the illegal's that are already in the states. I have yet to see apoll on who is with Arizona, all I see is the Latinos saying they are not happy and they are going to boycott Arizona. Wow the U.S.A is so screwed up right now that we need to get tough with all the drugs and and crime that is being allowed to just walk across the border. GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES

May 6, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |