May 7th, 2010

Crist leads in new Florida poll

A Mason-Dixon poll reveals that Florida Gov. Charlie Crist leads a hypothetical three-way race for Senate.

Washington (CNN) – Gov. Charlie Crist leads in a hypothetical three-way race for Senate in Florida, a week after he decided to leave the Republican primary and run as an independent.

Crist enjoys a six point advantage over Republican Marco Rubio and Democrat Kendrick Meek in a new Mason-Dixon poll of 625 registered voters surveyed by telephone.

Crist captures 38 percent in the new poll, followed by Rubio with 32 percent and Meek with 19 percent.

Crist announced last week that he would run for Senate as an independent candidate, sidestepping a primary showdown with Rubio. The survey shows that Crist enjoys double-digit support from Democrats.

The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 5 percentage points and was conducted May 3-5.

Read the full poll results here.

Filed under: 2010 • Charlie Crist • Florida • Kendrick Meek • Marco Rubio • Poll
  1. scott

despite i am a dem i would vote 4 crist 2 get at the repub if i was staying n florida

May 7, 2010 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. Ben

Crist is nothing more than a political opportunist who will say anything to get elected.

May 7, 2010 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I usually don;t trust polls, but this is good news for the governor. Independants and moderate republicans will support him. I'm still waiting to see what comes out of the investigation of Mr. Rubio's misuse of the RNC credit card.

May 7, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  4. GL

GO CRIST – I am rooting for you and I am a Democrate. I all voted for Spector when he was a Republican and I will continue to support Spector. If I could vote in Florida, you would get my voter. I like your views.

May 7, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  5. Duck Fallas

Meek, God bless him, should bow out and throw his support behind Charlie Crist.

May 7, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  6. No Incumbents 2010

Rubio is toast. It looks like Florida will have an independent voice in the US Senate. Someone who is not beholden to leaders of either party and who can work with Senators from both parties.

May 7, 2010 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  7. ran

Good for him. I hope more Republicans turn Independent and run against the fear/hate/obstructionist/purity Republicans.

I see a backlash against the current Republicans actions of the past year. And more true Democrats or Independents will win in 2010 then Republicans.

Oh happy days.

May 7, 2010 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  8. Timus, Powder Springs, GA

What? You mean that Rubio and his tea baggers don't have enough suport to actually get him elected? I'm shocked!!! ;)

May 7, 2010 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. Eric

There is only one poll that actually matters: Election day.

Crist, buddy, work on that resume now, so you're not having to compete with all the democrats we're going to add to the unemployment line in November.

May 7, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  10. I love it!!!!

Go Crist!!!!! I think most candidates should be independents...I'm a democrat, but the majority of this country has stubborn independents who can't make up their dang minds..so if you can't beat em, join em i say!

May 7, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  11. Chad

What does" Crist enjoys doublt digit support from democrats" mean? It could mean he enjoys 11% or 99% of their support. This kind of vagueness is the kind of reporting that misleads people.

May 7, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  12. Ruty

Go Charlie Go. It is time for new blood in Washington.

May 7, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

Go Charlie! Rubio is trying to play like he is mainstream (just like McDonnell in VA). America does not need any more right wingnuts in Washington DC. Marco will always be Dick Armey's cabana boy.

May 7, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  14. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Democrats for Crist and I hope Crist doesn't return the money to Republicons until after the election. You go Charlie.

May 7, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  15. wayne

ANYONE but Rubio!

May 7, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. Scott B

Score one for the moderates.

May 7, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  17. Ryan

I'll be more impressed when he finally comes out of the closet. Everybody knows he's as gay as the day is long... but if that's something he's willing to keep hiding (and failing at) from us then I can only imagine what else he's hiding. Leopards don't change their spots and...well...after all he was a republican a week ago...

May 7, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. jon

If he truly means what he says that it's about the people of Florida and not the Party, he'll do well. If he wins, we can hope and pray he stands by his words and not rubberstamp anything that comes down for a particular party and be a voice for the people.

May 7, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  19. RCasson

I'm a Democrat rooting for Crist. I like Meek, but he doesn't seem like a strong enough candidate for the senate. I hope Crist kicks Rubio's looney, far right tea party BUTT!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  20. Beauty

Good for him!
    I am a democrat and would like to see a democrat win but more than that, I want common sense to prevail. So, I want Crist to succeed, especially to let the GOP 'PURE OR BURST' crowd know that no one is pure and you have to do what is right for your constituency. He took the stimulus money to help his constituency because they need it and the GOP turned against him. Do GOP care about the welfare of their people? Would they rather see them suffer? Most of them did what they are supposed to do but sometimes, life happens and those who will not normally seek for assistance suddenly find themselves needing help.
    What is Jindal doing asking for federal money to help his state after he blasted the stimulus? We need common sense in Washington – not party purist. Best of luck to you Crist!

May 7, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  21. AEK

Go, Charlie, Go!!!!! A moderate Republican fights back against philosophical cleansing by the party of NO. Hopefully, maybe, the Party of What's Best for America again someday soon.

May 7, 2010 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. JFS

Hope he wins.....would have prferred that he would have switced to Dem's......but still hope he wins.

May 7, 2010 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  23. Doug

Hang in there Governor Crist. You're going to be attacked from the left and the right (mostly the right), but those of us in the middle want and need someone to represent us. The powers that be will go all out to stop you, but we need a voice of moderation to bring us together and move this country forward. These poll numbers are encouraging, but don't give up no matter how rough it gets. We, the people of the center, will back you all the way.

May 7, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  24. Wisconsinite

Sweet! Go Charlie! I have to say, even though I am a die-hard Democrat . . . if I lived in FL, I'd probably vote for Charlie!

May 7, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  25. A Brick in A Wall of Gridlock

The DNC should approach Crist, broker a deal where Meeks drops out in the last 2 weeks and endorses Crist.

Once Crist wins as an indepdendent, he should declare himself a Democrat and bolster the Democratic majority in the Senate.

Any increase in the number of Republicans means that action in America will stall because the GOP has proven it will not work with the Obama Administration even on common sense things like Wall Street reform ... remember all that opposition? Vote for Democrats, keep them in power and then ... hold them accountable [including President Obama] in 2012 if you don't like their work performance.

May 7, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |