May 11th, 2010

Bill Clinton lends a hand on wife's debt

Former President Clinton is helping Sec. of State Hillary Clinton retire her remaining 2008 presidential campaign.

Washington (CNN) - If you supported Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her 2008 presidential run, chances are you received an e-mail Tuesday morning from her husband asking for help to pay down the remaining campaign debt for her failed presidential bid.

Subscribers to Clinton's formidable e-mail list, amassed during her 2008 presidential run, received a message offering a day in New York with former President Bill Clinton. A contribution earns the donor a chance to enter their name into a contest."How would you like the chance to come up to New York and spend a day with me?" Clinton asks. "Hillary's campaign still has a few vestiges of debt that I know she would like to see paid in full. Will you reach out today to help Hillary this one last time?"

Clinton hosted a similar fundraiser in earlier this year, and writes he would "like to do it again."

As of March 31, the Clinton campaign was still in debt to the tune of $771,000, down from $845,500 owed at the end of December 2009. Clinton's e-mail list itself is one of her strongest fundraising tools. The campaign raised just over $169,000 during the last filing period by renting out the list to the campaigns of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, Sen. Patty Murray of Washington, Florida gubernatorial candidate Alex Sink, and Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado.

The Democratic polling firm of Penn and Schoen is the Clinton campaign's sole remaining creditor.

– CNN's Robert Yoon contributed to this report.

1. Victim of GOP Taliban

Yet the Clintons still refused to graciously bow-out and have nobody to blame but themselves. I won't shed a tear they have plenty of $.

May 11, 2010 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. pam

I am a Democrat with no intention of helping Hillary pay off her debts. She stayed in the campaign way too long after it was well known that she had no chance of winning.
    Sorry Hill, this one is on you!

May 11, 2010 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. rita

That would be so fabulous to win!!! I could share stories of gay family members who were kicked out of the military. I could ask him to do his "I did not have sex with that woman" routine. Loads of laughs!!!

May 11, 2010 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Larry

The Clinton's have reported a net worth of $109 million. During her campaign Hillary "loaned" her campaign $20 million.

They need help? So do all of us.

The Clinton's are just as slimy as the rest of the Washington politicians.

May 11, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  5. Eric 31m

Save us Hillary from this atrocity called Obama!

May 11, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. aproudmemberoftheunpatrioticmob

Isn't it amazing how much money these two corrupt crooks have after having worked for the government all their lives and lived in government housing for most of it?

May 11, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  7. S Callahan

This just turns my stomach.....how arrogant....take your own money and pay off her debt....your policies Bill made years ago are reaping their wrath now...and yet you ask everyday people to pay off your political debt. Sad day in America.

May 11, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. Jules

Are you kidding me???As much as I like Hillary, the thought of bailing someone out, when the rest of us are still far from recovering from our economic downfall is rude, unfealing, and totally wacked.

May 11, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  9. Living in America

Where is PUMA when you need them. They were supposed to be "Standing by Their Woman" till the end. Now that she needs them they have bailed out.

May 11, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. ben

This is news because....?
    Why a millionaire needs help paying a debt is news is beyond me.
    How much $$$ have they made since Arkansas?
    Maybe if the Clintons opened their financial records to the public that they want help from they could generate some sympathy.

May 11, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. Sarah the baby seal basher

The Clintons are nothing more than closet republicans.We can thank them for sending our jobs to China and India.

May 11, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  12. chillin

Pay your own bills like the rest of us little people. This just goes to show how out of touch politicians are with main stream america (RON PAUL 2012)

May 11, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. Traska

Let me guess. Some young woman with big hooters will be selected to spend the day with Bill. And it's for a good cause. Hillary won't mind. Have these people no shame?

May 11, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. stevetall

WHen I have a debt, I have to dig deep into my own wallet. I love you Clintons, but show a little self-respect. Pay your own bills out of your substantial bank account and quit bothering the rest of us who have no savings, no health insurance, and no 401k, IRA, or retirement accounts.

Sheesh!

May 11, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. SocialismBad

Sounds more like Hillary is getting ready to run in 2012! I think even SHE knows Odumbo is a one and done mistake...

May 11, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  16. Fair is Fair

A democrat spending more money than they took in? Go figure.

May 11, 2010 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  17. Life

Wow, they need us to bail them out for "small change" when the're worth over 100 million ? I wonder if she's even taking salary as Secretary of State? I mean, really! Get over yourselves!

I'm just glad we the Clinton machine didn't win the primaries otherwise we'll be seeing more of these bold acts of selfishness and self-preseverence.

Meet Bill Clinton for a price? I rather meet and donate to my local reps.

May 11, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  18. j

Just like all politicians---– GIMMY,GIMMY,GIMMY . That`s all they know. The Clintons live in a better home than I`ll ever hope to have, have more $$$$ in their checking account------ Thanks, but I`ll keep my money ( what little I have left ).

May 11, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. wow

and I loved the Clinton's....but I have my own $50k debt to pay down! they are rich and get paid way more than ME!

May 11, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  20. Jeff

What I want to know is did they ever give that kid his bike money back?

May 11, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  21. Otis

Help me pay my debt down. You can lunch with me. :)

May 11, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. bryan Jon

I'm nobody, just your everyday working American. I have about $80,000 in debt that I need to pay off. You could spend a day with me if you would like. Of course, I don't have the baggage this guy carries, but I think I could show someone a good clean time. So what do you say?

May 11, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  23. Artie

Grand prize; a day with Clinton in New York ? What egotistical crassness!They would have to " pay me " big money!

May 11, 2010 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  24. quent97

It sounds like Bill is being pimped.

May 11, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  25. AT

If she would havve conceeded when she knew she would lose the primaries she would not be in this mess. I do not feel sorry for her at all. She ran a mudslinging campaign and I was so happy when it was over. let us all move on and bring this counry back to where it needs to be.

May 11, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |