May 11th, 2010

Bill Clinton lends a hand on wife's debt

Former President Clinton is helping Sec. of State Hillary Clinton retire her remaining 2008 presidential campaign.

Washington (CNN) - If you supported Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her 2008 presidential run, chances are you received an e-mail Tuesday morning from her husband asking for help to pay down the remaining campaign debt for her failed presidential bid.

Subscribers to Clinton's formidable e-mail list, amassed during her 2008 presidential run, received a message offering a day in New York with former President Bill Clinton. A contribution earns the donor a chance to enter their name into a contest."How would you like the chance to come up to New York and spend a day with me?" Clinton asks. "Hillary's campaign still has a few vestiges of debt that I know she would like to see paid in full. Will you reach out today to help Hillary this one last time?"

Clinton hosted a similar fundraiser in earlier this year, and writes he would "like to do it again."

As of March 31, the Clinton campaign was still in debt to the tune of $771,000, down from $845,500 owed at the end of December 2009. Clinton's e-mail list itself is one of her strongest fundraising tools. The campaign raised just over $169,000 during the last filing period by renting out the list to the campaigns of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, Sen. Patty Murray of Washington, Florida gubernatorial candidate Alex Sink, and Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado.

The Democratic polling firm of Penn and Schoen is the Clinton campaign's sole remaining creditor.

– CNN's Robert Yoon contributed to this report.

1. Fitz In Texas

All the millions these Limousine Liberals are worth and they're asking for handouts. Not surprising at all.

May 11, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. Bob L

Second prize is two days with Clinton.

May 11, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  3. Chucklehead

And what do we have for the loser? TWO days with Clinton!

May 11, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. Wisconsinite

I'm guessing that all of you complaining about "I have my own debt . . . . . . they're millionaires . . . . .they're Republicans in Democrats clothing . . . . .waaaaaaah" probably didn't support her in the first place, so who cares what you think really?

May 11, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. rose in Colorado

What an arrogance! Win and spend a day with me in New York. Who would like to be with that old womanizer.

People are hurting financially and they are asked to pay Hillary's bill because she overspent during her campaign? Both Clinton's have more money than any of us. Why don't they pay their own debt?

What a disgrace, this act speaks volumes about Bill and Hillary's slimy character.

May 11, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  6. essie

i cannot pay my own bills,send me some money to pay off mines, than i will help you pay off yours..

May 11, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  7. Beverly - NYC

It's been 2 yrs, why not have Mr. combover Mark Penn refund his fee for all the bad advice or lower the flower and food budget for Chelsea's wedding and paid your own debts.

May 11, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  8. Don

The winner gets one day and the loser gets two.

May 11, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. phyllis

Sorry Hillary love you madly but I have my own debt that I'm trying to play catch-up after being unemployd for so long and by the grace of God I'm now working.... But this one is on you and Bill have at it just like rest of us that work for a living.

May 11, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. tess

oh yeah, i'd love to give you my hard-earned money since you don't get but about $500,000 per speech about yourself! let me know when you need more to pay for chelsea's wedding too. afterall, we are all waiting in anticipation to be able to slobber all over you clintons – such shameless trash!

May 11, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  11. Bobbie T

Nope, not from me. No one helped me out financially when I had to search for a new job to replace the one I lost due to the financial debacle. In fact, I don't even recall expecting anyone to help me out.

I don't mind at all giving to charities or to other outlets that help people that truly need help. However, I can not think of even one good reason to give any money to you. Find another source.

May 11, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  12. Dale

Must be nice to have someone else pay for all your debt while at the same time living in luxury and making millions of dollars each year. Where is all this social justice I am always hearing about? Or are all the rich politicians exempt from paying for social justice?

May 11, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  13. Claudia, Houston, Tx

The Clintons will always be 2 of the most powerful people in history and I will gladly contribute. I'm not jealous and I'm not a player hater.

May 11, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  14. paying my own way

What's second prize? Two days with Clinton?

May 11, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  15. rachel

Hillary did her best and if she had bowed out everyone would be calling her a quitter. If you dont want to contribute don't don't whine about it.

May 11, 2010 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  16. mary

The political contributions I make this year will be to candidates facing strong republican opposition in key House and Senate races. Not to the Clintons.

May 11, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  17. curious

Here's a curious question: Often times a candidate will loan their own campaign funds from their personal accounts – I wonder if this is the case in this instance ... in other words, the Clintons would essentially be asking for people to send them money to pay themselves back.

May 11, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. Hugo

How do people elected to public office collecting a taxpayer funded pay check of $200,000/yr become multi-millionaires in a few short years? All that Capitalism pay to play in the Capitol that goes along with elected office? This is what is wrong with America's political system, no accountability, no responsibility and a bunch of self serving lawyers manipulating ethics laws to fill their pockets!

May 11, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  19. Tom

When I read the headline I thought Bill was going to pay off her debt or at least part of it instead of pandering for dollars. I guess their relationship isn't at the level where he can loan his wife money.

May 11, 2010 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  20. Washington has failed us

Are you surprised they aren't too proud to beg?

May 11, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  21. Ruty

They sound like greedy Republicans to me , always wanting someone to give them money.

May 11, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  22. Elaine

The Clintons are PATHETIC!!!!

May 11, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  23. SLP

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Whatever. What do you expect from these two?

May 11, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  24. Linda

Since the monies go to Mr. Penn, who made many mistakes with her campaign, I say he should go without. He messed up, so why should we pay him. I think, if he is man enough, to make the slate clean and get out of the business he is in, since he was disaster.

May 11, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  25. Johnny DC

There's a joke in here somewhere about irresponsibly handling other people's money, and then asking the same other people to chip in even more.

I forget how it ends, but Democrats are redistributive scum.

May 11, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |