May 12th, 2010

Sanford reunites with Argentine mistress

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford said Wednesday that he spent the weekend with his former mistress.

Washington (CNN) – South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford confirmed Wednesday that he spent last weekend trying to rekindle a relationship with an Argentine woman he once called his "soul mate."

"As a matter of record, everybody in this room knows exactly who I was with over the weekend," Sanford told reporters during a press conference. "That is no mystery to anybody given what I said last summer. And you know the purpose was obviously to see if something could be restarted on that front, given the rather enormous geographic gulf between us, and time will tell, I don't know if it will or it won't."

The rendezvous was originally reported by the website Gawker after tipsters spotted Sanford and a tall brunette in the Florida Keys.

South Carolina's Attorney General decided last week that the Republican governor will not face criminal charges following an investigation into his travel and campaign expenses, a probe that started after media organizations began examining the governor's financial practices following his disclosure of the extramarital affair last June.

At Wednesday's press conference, Sanford pushed back against continued interest in his personal life, saying "[W]hat I do know is this, the obsession with one's personal life needs to come to an end."

Sanford, who is not running for re-election in November, had been considered a possible 2012 Republican presidential contender before he admitted his affair in a nationally televised statement.

In February, a judge granted a divorce to Sanford's wife, Jenny, who separated from her husband last summer.

Filed under: Extra • Mark Sanford • Popular Posts • South Carolina
  1. gypsieroze

I agree 100% that a person's personal life should be kept private. I really don't want to hear the details it's TMI.

May 12, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. carlos

republican VALUES at their best............scumbags

May 12, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  3. Texas Granny

What the guy did to his wife is dispicable. Plus he lied to his fellow South Carolinians.
    But the bottom line is the man is divorced now. He's single & free to date again if he chooses.

May 12, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  4. anhthu Lu

Go for it, Governor. It's not everyday you find the love of your life. Best wishes.
    It's the public and the media who is hypocrite. I wish him the best.

May 12, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  5. Rich

That Argentine woman must have put something in his soup for him to acting this way. It simply can't be love.

May 12, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. Randall in TX

Good for him. She's hot.

May 12, 2010 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. JR

The only question I have is who paid for the room, the citizens of South Carolina again?

May 12, 2010 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. Jamie

What a terrible father!!! How insensitive to his children! I bet his Argentina girlfriend is a spy and found herself one butt ugly politician to prey on. He fell for the bait; hook, line and sinker. Or she is hoping for a better life, remember her living quarters, like a cheap hotel. He is not going to be much of a sugar daddy with the alimony and all the child support he has to pay. Sanford does turn my stomach.

May 12, 2010 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  9. jackson

______________

And if Sanford were a Democrat, do you think the GOP would buy that line????

What a big steaming pile.

May 12, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  10. LibertyQueen

Mark Sanford having a press conference to discuss his philandering is so pathetic. Jenny Sanford is a class act all the work. A smart, savvy woman and mother. Thank Goddess the once-and-not-future guv railroaded himself out of a future possible nomination for President .

May 12, 2010 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  11. LibertyQueen

My comment about Jenny Sanford should have read: Jenny Sanford is a class act all the way.

May 12, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  12. Callie

He not my gov. so I could care less, but when some one tell so many lies I can't help but wonder what else he has forgotten the truth on.

May 12, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  13. M

Good for him, gives us all hope that we too can find TRUE LOVE...We all need love:)

May 12, 2010 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. Steve

And she's gonna be moving into the state house, when?

May 12, 2010 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  15. Republicans is smart in the head area

Learned a new acronym recently – IOKIYAR – which stands for "It's OK If You're A Republican". Sums just about every situation up nicely with the GOP hypocrisy these days. And these people want to "take our country back"? To where, exactly?

May 12, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  16. Kelby

Don't Cry for me Argentina
    the truth is I never left you
    all thru my wild days
    My mad existence
    I kept my promise
    Don't keep your distance

May 12, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. Gustavo

Leave him alone. Have you guys met an argentine woman? If you don't , you don't know what I'm talking about.

May 12, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  18. Pragmatic

but his buddies in the party of "family values" said he had done no wrong ... SC: too small to be a state – too large to be an insane asylum.

May 12, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  19. AT

This fronm the party of family values, if he was a Democrate the repugs would have a field day.

May 12, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  20. Ronno

Between Sanford and Edwards, us Carolians can't get a break. Will these two ever just go away???

May 12, 2010 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  21. Jim

I don't blame the guy for falling in love or having trouble in his love life. The only that bothers me is when people do these kinds of things while spouting the religious right nonsense. In this case, Sanford did that (as do many of the of religious right). If he had a more compassionate attitude toward others, I wouldn't hold this kind of thing against him.

May 12, 2010 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  22. bernardo

this guy is a joke,like the mayority of hypocrites running the Republican party,Thing is that the electors and voters of that state know that if this inmoral guy is forced to resign the one in order to take his office has a taste for very,very young girls,so they have to keep the lesser evil in office,where 's the morality in South Carolina politicians???

May 12, 2010 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  23. Aaron

Hypocrite. He was all over President Clinton's personal life but wants his off-limits.

May 12, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  24. Clark1b

what Governor Sanford doesn't seem to understand is this:

he made solemn oaths to his bride with witnesses including God. And he has had no problem breaking those oaths and betraying his wife.

If he is willing to do that in his private life (even when those oaths were made with witnesses in public) .... then he has the character that will make him untrustworthy with his oaths in his public life as well.

May 12, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  25. Mike in New Orleans

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

And that you're a family values Republican.

May 12, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |