May 13th, 2010

Hawaii can ignore repeated requests for pres. birth certificate

President Obama’s certification of live birth.
President Obama’s certification of live birth.

Washington (CNN) - Hawaii would like for so-called "birthers" to stop asking to see President Obama's birth certificate.

The state passed a law on Wednesday that allows state agencies to ignore repeated requests to view government records, including the president's birth document. Hawaii's Republican Gov. Linda Lingle signed the legislation into law.

This will impact requests from a fringe movement dubbed the "birthers." Adherents question President Obama's constitutional eligibility to be commander-in-chief, suggesting he was not born in the United States despite proof that he was born in Hawaii in 1961. CNN and other news organizations have thoroughly debunked the rumors about the president's birthplace.

Hawaii has released a copy of the president’s birth certificate – officially called a “certificate of live birth” – and the hospital took out ads in two Hawaiian newspapers announcing the 1961 birth.

But adherents to the “birther” theories persist. Army surgeon Lt. Col. Terry Lakin subscribes to the “birther” theory and faces a court martial for refusing to deploy to Afghanistan unless the president shows his birth certificate. He disputes that the Hawaii birth certificate is real.

“I believe we need truth on this matter,” he said in an interview earlier this week on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360.

In recent testimony to a state senate panel considering the new law, Hawaii Director of Health Chiyome L. Fukino said her office receives about 50 emails a month requesting access to the president's birth certificate.

Fukino cited a small group of individuals "who engage in a pattern of repeated requests" in a transcript of her testimony provided to CNN. "We believe having to respond repeatedly to essentially the same request or a variation of the request all centering on whether or not President Obama was born in Hawaii is a frivolous use of department time and resources."

And in a recent WABC interview before she signed the bill, Hawaii's Republican governor said the birth certificate issue “is simply a distraction from the more critical issues that are facing the country.”

“And so I had my health director, who is a physician by background, go personally view the birth certificate in the birth records of the Department of Health,” Lingle said. “ … The president was in fact born at Kapi'olani Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii. And that's just a fact. And yet people continue to call up and email and want to make it an issue. And I think it's, again, a horrible distraction for the country by those people who continue this."

"It's been established he was born here,” the governor added. “I can understand why people want to make certain that the constitutional requirement of being a, you know, natural born American citizen … but the question has been asked and answered. And I think just we should all move on now."

Filed under: Birthers • Extra • Hawaii • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Roy

Ignorance knows no limits. It makes one wonder whether the U.S. is really ready for democracy. Consider this happened only once in U.S. history and that was when a black man was elected President.

May 13, 2010 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  2. Carol

If I were President Obama, it would rain where it's really, REALLY HOT before I produced a birth certificate. First, it's insulting. And second, I just wouldn't. I think it's funnier watching these goofballs chase their tails.

I don't have a copy of my original birth certificate. The one my mother carried had less information then Obama's does. I don't know the name of the hospital, I don't know the doctor, and since mom's dead, I'll probably never know. Each state is different as to what they give people who request a copy. And one isn't any less or more legal than the next.

May 13, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  3. Former Republican, now an Independent

These nuts are trying to add to the distractions caused by the republican neo-con jihadists.

May 13, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  4. Josh

These are the same people who love this country so much that they were willing to get Sara Palin a heart beat away from the most powerful office in the world. The same who want the gov't's hand off their medicare, the same who refuse to understand why it was essential to bail out the banks to prevent a depression. They are loud and easy to fool and, they are really fools.

May 13, 2010 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. Seattle Sue

Birthers are completely off their rockers.

May 13, 2010 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  6. The Scientist

There are so many credible things to criticize Obama for, such as supporting the Wall St. bailout and stimulus package, not acting promptly on DADT, or backpedaling on his promise to close Guantanamo.

To spend so much time and effort railing against something that has been proven to be without merit is a testament to one's bullheadedness and ignorance, and does nothing to solve the true pressing issues.

May 13, 2010 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  7. Anne McDonald

I think Hawaii has gone above and beyond the call of duty in making the truth known about Obama's birth. Good grief, how would the "birthers" like it if the rest of the nation demanded a copy of their birth certificates over, and over, and over again?

The problem with these "birthers" is that they don't have enough integrity to recognize the truth. They'd rather waste everyone's time with frivolous law suits. Too bad they can't turn their attention to more worthwhile matters...like solving the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

No, I didn't vote for Obama, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to defame someone just because the person I voted for didn't win. Get a life, people.

May 13, 2010 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  8. sickof republicanphonies

If someone wants to see Obama's birth certificate, they should first have to provide a certificate showing they themselves are of sound mind and not certifiably insane. The birther nut cases will not be able to do that- voila! Problem solved.

May 13, 2010 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  9. 2much

these birthers should go harrass the governor of California

May 13, 2010 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  10. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

If people don't believe that Obama was born in the 50th state by now, then they will never believe because they hate him. I think that he would have been disqualified long before he launched his campaign.

May 13, 2010 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |