May 15th, 2010

Palin does a bit of stand up

(CNN) – She's a politician, an author, cable news contributor and sought-after speaker. But perhaps former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is interested in a new title: comedienne.

In what can only be described as a bit of a schtick, Palin had some fun Friday with the notion that she and her family might be rednecks.

Speaking at the National Rifle Association's annual meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina, Palin claimed that some in the media have tried to portray members of the Tea Party movement as "violent or racist or rednecks."

"And I don't really have a problem with the redneck part of it, to tell you the truth. I don't," the former vice presidential candidate told the crowd. "That's fine with me."

Palin told the gun rights supporters how she recently searched online for the best redneck jokes to prepare for an appearance in Alabama where she was introduced by a radio personality named "Bubba."

"But, I'm reading them [thinking] these aren't funny, these are me," Palin said to laughter. "They really are."

Holding what looked like a BlackBerry, Palin told some of the jokes to the NRA crowd.

"'You're a redneck if directions to your house include turn off the paved road.'" "Yep," Palin said rhetorically, "Go to Wasilla, turn off the paved road. That's where we are."

"'You may be a redneck if you're ever involved in a custody fight over a hunting dog.'" "Todd and I? No. But, we have friends – yep, truly – a custody fight over their hunting dog."

" – 'If you yell at your husband, come move this transmission so I can take a bath.'" "I thought that one was funny," Palin told the crowd.

"-'If you use your fishing license as a form of i.d.'" "Well, I do that all the time in Dillingham," Palin said. "That's how you cash your checks."

Palin also told jokes about having steel toes in your "best shoes," going hunting on your honeymoon, getting the septic tank pumped as an anniversary present, having Thanksgiving dinner served on a ping-pong table, thinking Wal-Mart is expensive, and spending the night in the bed of your truck rather than paying for a hotel room.

Filed under: NRA • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. ken1952

Palin must have ben read some good Jeff Foxwothy jokes. She mite act silly and dumb sometime, when fact she very smart. I love it when she is slaming Obama.

May 14, 2010 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  2. I am a redneck also

I am sure there will be hundreds of people slam Sarah for her comments. They will call her all sorts of names, call her stupid, Carabou Barbie, etc etc.
    I work a blue collar job where I get dirt under my fingernails, mud on my shoes and I wear blue jeans to work. ( From Wal Mart )

Part of the problem now a days is people will look down on me because I am a blue collar redneck, I do not have a college education, I own guns which I hunt with and eat the animals I shoot.

Sarah is a blue collar lady, but many of you will call her names because she did not come from a high dollar political background.

I am proud to be a blue collar redneck, and Sarah is too.

Too bady many of you can not see below your standard of living, and accept those who FEED and CLOTH your butts.

May 14, 2010 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  3. Che

So I guess rednecks = the Republican base. Well enough said. That explains everything.

May 14, 2010 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  4. Matt M.

Says the woman who's now worth upwards of $12 million dollars. Please, give us a break.

It's a shame that John McCain's legacy will be bestowing the gift of Palin upon the American policy.

May 14, 2010 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  5. No Brainer

No Sarah ... you are a wanna be ... you wanna be whatever benefits your pocketbook.

At 36-30-40 you remain Caribou Barbie. I'll bet you'll pose for Playboy once the Republicans tire of you.

May 14, 2010 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. Leon

Is it "fine" to call Obama a "redneck?" He's the last angel standing...

May 14, 2010 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  7. Dmog

First she was a Gov. of Alaska, quit that, tried to be Vice Pres, loss that, said she was a Maverick quit that, said she wrote a book, not smart enough to do that, Now she says she's a Redneck!! I believe that, Please Ms Palin for once think just think before you speak because I'm sure you will quit being a Redneck soon! and move on to being a Gooseneck ,Rubberneck Turkeyneck, Chickenneck, and on to a Noneck.

May 14, 2010 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  8. lagunalad

Syphillis & in breeding have made her a sad crazy shell of a human being.

May 14, 2010 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. FastBoat

I wouldn't give her that much credit. She's a female Glenn Beck. I wonder if she has Nazi tourette's too.

May 14, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  10. Hmmmmm

Oh Sarah, you are making this too easy.

May 14, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  11. Margo

I dream of a day when I will not have to see Palin on TV, the internet and all media outlets!

May 14, 2010 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  12. chad

notice how she has a teleprompter and a bunch of stolen jokes from jeff foxworthy?

May 14, 2010 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  13. sam

Oh, good – she can add this handle to Bimbo, Nutjob, Wacko, and, did I say Bimbo?! - And, by the by – no way is she an author – she can't string two intelligible sentences together, for gods sake!

May 14, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  14. Ken in Mt

And this is something new? She most likely signs her name with an X as it is.

May 14, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  15. Fitz in Texas

I'm with you Palin...fine with me as well to be called a REDNECK!

May 14, 2010 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  16. J

The reason the tea partiers are portrayed as violent racists is because they are violent racists.

May 14, 2010 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  17. Leslie

Palin is such an EMBARRASSMENT! Sorry, Rednecks of AMERICA!
    She needs to GO AWAY!

May 14, 2010 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  18. Nija

I am a racist and that is fine with me too.

May 14, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  19. Jimbo (The real one)

Wow, these people really scare me. Is this what our country and the human race has evolved into in 2010. Please, let's give them their own state and call it a day...

May 14, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  20. Tom

Why does the media keep mentioning this woman? Why doesn't anyone in the tea party understand that the neoconservatives are trying to infiltrate them? I'm part of the tea party and I for one am socially libertarian and fiscally conservative and most of the tea partiers I speak to feel the same way. We are not being represented fairly by the main stream media and this type of coverage only makes us look worse. Palin does not represent old school conservatism and absolutely no libertarianism so I don't know what she is trying to accomplish by showing up at tea parties where only a small majority agree with her.

May 14, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  21. Home 2 Alaska

Sarah Palin is the most incompetent, dishonest politician I have seen in my lifetime. She in single-handedly dumbing down the Republican Party as no one else can. And as a Democrat I couldn't be happier.

May 14, 2010 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  22. David Scott

Hell, she is a stupid, lying bigot... and redneck too. This low life she dog
    has nothing on Joe McCarthy. What a numb nut. She is as dumb as a bag of hammers.

May 14, 2010 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  23. sue

Oh good God! Redneck my ass! The only thing redneck is her love of violence and racism. You don't see to many rednecks wearing designer clothing! Funny how she tries so hard to identify to whatever crowd she is speaking to. Go speak at an Ivy League college you dim-wit, they will surely get a good laugh!

May 14, 2010 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  24. JohnRJ08

Why would anybody want to insult rednecks by applying that term to Palin?

May 14, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  25. Joe

There was a time in America when politicians tried to uplift, to appeal to the "better angels" of their constituents natures. We've gone to the other extreme now, and apparently making yourself out to be as ignorant and stupid as possible, and reinforcing the worst instincts of your constituents is construed as leadership.

May 14, 2010 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |