May 18th, 2010

Specter waits in Philadelphia

Sen. Arlen Specter speaks to reporters in Philadelphia.
Sen. Arlen Specter speaks to reporters in Philadelphia.

(CNN) – About two hours before polls close in Pennsylvania, a subdued Sen. Arlen Specter walked into the Sheraton Hotel in Philadelphia and told reporters he is optimistic about the outcome of tonight's Democratic primary race.

"I'm optimistic if we get out our vote. I've been in a lot of tough races, a lot of close races," Specter said. "I would describe six of my races as the political fight of my life. I am like a cat with seven lives."

After a hard fought campaign, Specter can only wait for results to be announced.

"No regrets. No regrets. No regrets," the incumbent senator said.

Specter has waged a bitter campaign against Rep. Joe Sestak. The winner of Tuesday's primary will advance to the general election.

Filed under: 2010 • Pennsylvania • Pennsylvania Senate
  1. GI Joe

At 80, it's time to retire. Set the example for McShame, McTurtle-Face, and a lot of others to just GO.

May 18, 2010 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  2. Chad

toomey 2012

I hope specter wins tonight so he can lose to toomey

May 18, 2010 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  3. A Kickin' Donkey

I hope he loses. The President was wrong to guarantee him that he would back him before he "joined" the Democratic party. Specter had no choice ... he was toast in the Republican Party anyway.

The President needs to stop backing candidates against the wishes of the party's base.

Joe Lieberman should be stripped of his committee chairmanship. Time to show folks that the Democrats won't be triffled with.

May 18, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  4. HYT

Specter should have asked to see Obamba's original birth certificate and his college records; it might have helped his chances.

May 18, 2010 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  5. rachel

Please sestak win send spector to collect his pension.

May 18, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  6. David H.

After stealing my vote by switching parties I hope he goes down hard. Hopefully the democrats aren't foolish enough to believe he is anything more than part of the problem in Washington.

May 18, 2010 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  7. A.B.

I am waiting for the results in Pennsylvainia and hope that Arlen Specter loses and Joe Sestak wins the primary. The voters have two choices: They will either vote for the real deal–Joe Sestak or vote for the phony democrat–Arlen Specter. The choice remains with the voter of Pennsylvainia. I hope that the people make the right choice for Pennsylvainia and for the country.

May 18, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  8. BMAX

Get him OUT!

May 18, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  9. Emmanuel Bussie

Sen. Arlen Specter we are proud of the way you have represented the state of Pennsylvania. By changing political affiliations to me further demonstrates that you have always placed people first, politics second and after all the important things are address then we party. I have called and text’d all day to Philly reminding my friends and family to get to the polls. – See you in November my friend. – Emmanuel Bussie-

May 18, 2010 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  10. David

i hope Pennylvanias show him the door to retirement ..its time the elected officials vote for what the people want..not for what they want

May 18, 2010 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  11. Richard Taylor

Even if Spectre should win the Primary I doubt he will win in Nov. he will be too severely bloodied by this Primary fight to be effective.

May 18, 2010 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  12. November

Time to hang it up, Arlen. You are just what we need to vote out of office. No one trusts you anymore. You're just a career politician working on your next re-election – perpetually. Time to exit stage left.

May 18, 2010 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  13. Bonnie Mester

I believe it's nine lives a cat is reputed to have.

May 18, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  14. WILLARD BULLOCK

I am belived that specter are not alright cause he was moved to democratic that he is involet move to democratic

May 18, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  15. Loyal Dem

Bye, Bye Arlen. Pack your bags and start looking for a real job.

May 18, 2010 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  16. KirbsterT

When a person is concerned about "losing his job" in relation to his elected office, then I believe that is a definite indication that their priority is not where it should be. Being an elected member of Congress is NOT a job, it is a privilege to be in public service.
    Those that have made a "career" of being in Congress for 20, 30, or more years should see this all as an indication that the people want public servants and NOT career politicians. We do not choose to elect people to careers, rather to be leaders and public servants that will make the tough decisions, NOT political decisions.

May 18, 2010 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  17. Omar Balleth

I hope and pray that Arlen Specter wins the nomination. I think he is the right person for that job. Good luck Arlen.

May 18, 2010 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  18. Goose66

I don't care much what happens in any of these races, I just want Specter to lose. He is most clearly in it for himself first, and that's just wrong.

May 18, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  19. Tom

Yeah, why is it that Specter gets so much face time on CNN and Sestak not so much? I hope Specter is gone tomorrow.

May 18, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. simon1959

Specter needs to go!!

May 18, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  21. Beate Smock

I am so glad Spector won, because this way he will be defeated in November. Sad that Spector never listens to his voters anymore. His office is using the answering machine as a comment line for the last 5 calls I made to voice my opinion. I guess campaigning is too expense to pay staff to answer the phone. This shows me he is pretty tiered to represent us properly.

May 18, 2010 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  22. Julie

Waiting to hear of Specters defeat. We are all sitting around waiting to cheer for a new face in town.

May 18, 2010 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  23. Cliff

Oh, if only the other "dude" can hold his lead and send old man Spincster home....for good.

He has been a thorn in the side of conservatives from his political beginning!

May 18, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |