May 20th, 2010

Islamic leaders decry Tea Party reference to Muslim 'monkey-god'

(CNN) – A national leader of the conservative Tea Party movement has been strongly criticized by Islamic civil rights leaders for referring to the proposed site of a New York City mosque as a place for Muslims to worship "the terrorists' monkey-god."

Tea Party Express organizer Mark Williams blogged on his Web site last week that the mosque - to be constructed near the former site of the World Trade Center - would be a "monument ... for the worship of the terrorists' monkey-god and a 'cultural center' to propagandize for the extermination of all things not approved by their cult."

Williams, who also referred to "animals of Allah," was rebuked Thursday by the Council on American-Islamic Relations. The group issued a release Wednesday calling on other Tea Party activists to repudiate Williams' remarks.

"It would be shocking if such ignorant comments failed to elicit a strong response not only from Tea Party leaders, but from other parties throughout the political spectrum," CAIR National Legislative Director Corey Saylor said.

For his part, Williams was unapologetic toward Muslims.

"In the course of the article I described the 'god' worshiped by terrorists as 'a monkey god,'" he wrote on his Web site. "I was wrong and that
was offensive. I owe an apology to millions of Hindus who worship Lord Hanuman, an actual Monkey God."

Hanuman is known to followers of the Hindu faith as a symbol of strength and devotion, among other things.

Hanuman "is known as a destroyer of evil and to inspire and liberate," Williams said. "Those are hardly the traits of whatever ... it is that terrorists worship and worthy of my respect and admiration not ridicule."

The twin towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan were destroyed in an attack by al Qaeda terrorists on September 11, 2001.

1. Brook

Ah the Tea Party... putting the "T" in Terrorism!

May 20, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. Obama the liar

any followers of the muslim cult should never be allowed to be anywhere near New York-go pound sand CAIR..

May 20, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. David in Houston

The TEA Party would never condone this type of speech! Nor would they condone racism or bigotry...oh, wait a second.

Nevermind.

May 20, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Dale

That's okay, the Tea Partiers will claim it was done by a rogue Liberal who was trying to make them look bad. It's the same excuse they gave for the people threatening voters to vote for Paul while going to the polls in Kentucky. It's the same excuse they give for racist posters and comments made at their rallies. If they could find a way to blame the oil slick in the Gulf on them, they'd do it (oh, wait, some are already doing that by claiming it was a terrorist attack by liberals).

And isn't that just grand? They can do anything they want with no consequences to their actions because "we have no leader and if something goes wrong, it's because the Democrats are just trying to make us look bad!" It's like a party full of spoiled grade-school kids.

The Tea Party – we take no responsibility for anything said or done.

May 20, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. Mike

How about we decry such statements when muslims condemn their fellow muslims over killing innocent men,women and children. They seem to be strangely silent on that issue neither do them condemn the beheading of others with a short knife. Before they expect an apology, muslims should issue one of their own.

May 20, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. JB

I suppose Mr. Williams is a "christian" who belives that "all men are created equal".... so much for that. This guy is a joke. Typical christian republican, they "love" America, which is based upon the idea of FREEDOM. Aparently that freedom does not apply when other's opinions or religion are different from their own.

May 20, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

And don't forget – he probably wrapped himself in the mantle of self-righteous Christianity when he made that statement!
    Sorry, but as a Christian I take offense to his comments! Over the course of my 56 years I have been associated with four different Christian Denominations (currently I belong to the United Methodist Church); I have studied under Rabbis, Mullahs and Brahmins to learn about their respective religions; I have read the writings of religious teachers from throughout the World. My conclusion is that all religions have one common problem: The loudest proponents of each faith are the most intollerant of those not of their faith. There are millions of religious teachers and clergy out there teaching the ways of peace and brotherhood. We never hear of them. Why? They are not screaming into a microphone about their "Godless" opponents who should be destroyed!
    Williams, do us all a favor and read the writings of Francis of Assisi, Thomas Merton and the Dalhi Lama before you go on the attack again!

May 20, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  8. Randy

I'm not even close to being a teabagger but I'm with them on this. I think it's a slap in the face for a mosque to be built there because it's going to be seen as a victory for the islamic terrorist. The people that are pushing this forward know it too...no matter what they say.

May 20, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. notfooledbydistractions

Have you ever listened to Mr. Williams speak? He definitely puts the a$$ in jacka$$.

May 20, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. Mike Mc

Aren't the teabaggers calling their own god a monkey god as well?? I mean Christianity IS an Abrahamic religion just like Islam, right?

May 20, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. once upon a horse

if past actions are any indication, the far right and Tea Party bunch are going to LOVE this guy! Sounds like somebody that Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin will be proud to endorse.

May 20, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  12. Nadine

Teabaggers messing with the wrong group..... "they will get teabagged"!

May 20, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. Dave

The ignorance and stupidity of some people is just shocking.

Muslims worship the exact same god that christians and jews do. They happen to recognize a different prophet, but the god is the same.

May 20, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  14. ziggypopp

Is this guy for real? Did he really think that muslim extremists (terrorists) worship a monkey god? Then when some one actually educated him on who actually does worship a monkey god, he apologizes to them rather than to the muslim community that he truely insulted.
    I wonder what god he worships.

Before anyone goes off on me for being some crazy liberal, I would like to ask the question of the Council on American-Islamic Relations: Where have you been for the past decade when radical muslims have been calling for Jihad against anyone they perceive to be infidels? Where have your rebukes been?

I grow weary of the constant and oft very foul way that people treat one another. This is another example of unapologetic ignorance being thrust out into the public domain. It is a shame that we have come to such an ugly era of politics in this nation. I would love to see folks actually present thier arguments with out calling each other names. Our country has lost it's sense civility. Not just online, but in person and in the chambers of our elected government.

May 20, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. TEH the Conservative

Who really cares what the Islamic Leaders think? They obviously do not like America anyway. Their long term goal is to take-over the west. They don't belong in America!

May 20, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  16. Franklin

How long before Al Sharpton claims that this was also directed at African Americans too?!!

May 20, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. Dave

Well, considering that the Judeo-Christian 'God' is the same that Muslims worship, this guy is a hypocrite. He is showing his true colors as an ignorant and a racist. This seems to be a common characteristic among the 'tea-partiers'; this is sick and is not representative of America.

May 20, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  18. Shorn

"I see your true colors shining through...I see your TRUE colors....

May 20, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  19. reACTIONarry

The Tee Pee-ers get all huffy when they are labeled racist, and they then turn around and make ignorant, and intollerent statements like this. And their candidate Rand Paul wants to do away with the civil rights act and let businesses discriminate! If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, maybe it IS a duck.

May 20, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  20. Concerned

And this is the kind of thing that makes the US a target by the fringe extreamist groups out there. I'm neither Islamic or Hindu, but despite that even I feel offended by these kind of statements. Complete lack of decency...

May 20, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  21. Tomm Wells

What an idiot! Now the tea party is supposed to stand for racism? Where is this country going? I'm glad I'm not a black guy going to get my eyes examined with this guy, he'd most likely kick me out.

Why should the people of our country who have ancestors from all over the planet, and only a very few Native Americans, be allowed to discriminate to anyone much less have this as a basis for his political platform.

Well, maybe he's trying to bring back the KKK? Hated, lynchings, crosses on fire in front of houses, mob rule.

Doc, get a grip, this is 2010 and you will eventually get left in the dust of mankind's progress for a better America-which is an Inclusive Venture.

May 20, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  22. minnie

I think the more that the tea party gets comfy in their space, the more we're going to learn about their thinking, philosophies and what they stand for.

May 20, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  23. cool j

Not really surprise about the Tea party and by extension the republican party.we've seen rallys full of hate spitting on Congressmen.One of them even thinks lawmakers were wrong to pass the civil right bill of 1964 banning descrimination.
    I have 2 words for these people :Hatefeful and ignorant!!!

May 20, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  24. Steve (the real one)

Personally, I disagree with the name calling and I fully disagree with a mosque being built anywhere near near the former World Trade Center site BUT...This is America and either we have a open and free society or we don't!

May 20, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  25. ziggypopp

One additional thought.

I'm assuming that this man is christian. I could be wrong in this assumption, however, it does not change the point I'm about to make.

There is hate group out of Oklahoma that many of you may well be familiar with. The go the funerals of fallen soilders in thier christian gods name. The carry signs that thank god for killing these soilders in retribution for our countries acceptance of homosexuality. There is little doubt in the minds of most that this in fact a hate group.

Does this make all christian churches dangerous? Perhaps we should not allow any christian church to be located near a cemetary because they must also be hate group because of this one christian extremist group.

I don't judge all christians based the extremists in thier midst, nor should we judge all muslims based the extremists in thier midst.

May 20, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |