May 24th, 2010

Palin to Haley: 'Hang in there'

Washington (CNN) – Drawing parallels to her own experiences with rumor and political sniping, Sarah Palin used a Facebook posting Monday to defend the candidacy of South Carolina Republican gubernatorial hopeful Nikki Haley.

"As I said to Nikki this morning, 'Hang in there. I've been there. Any lies told about you will strengthen your resolve to clean up political and media corruption. You and your supporters will grow stronger through things like this.'"

Palin's reaction comes just hours after Haley denied a claim that she once had an extramarital affair with a prominent South Carolina political blogger.

Palin endorsed Haley earlier this month in a surprise move, and then traveled to South Carolina, where the two women appeared at a rally.

"There is some good news for your state," Palin said at the time. "And her name is Nikki Haley."

Haley now prominently features Palin's endorsement on her campaign website – and the Tea Party favorite has surged in the polls since appearing with Palin.

In her online posting, the former GOP vice presidential nominee makes clear she is standing by her endorsement of Haley.

"When Nikki and I held her endorsement rally on the steps of the beautiful and historic South Carolina state house last month, I warned her and her family that she would be targeted because she's a threat to a corrupt political machine, and she would be put through some hell," Palin wrote on Facebook.

Palin's post also harshly criticized Will Folks, the political website editor who wrote Monday that he had an "an inappropriate physical relationship" with Haley.

Urging South Carolinians to not believe the reports, Palin wrote, "[D]on't let some blogger make any accusation against your Nikki if the guy doesn't even have the guts or the integrity to speak further on such a significant claim."

After Haley issued her denial Monday, an associate of Folks told CNN: "He has nothing to add to his comments regarding this matter and will not be conducting any further interviews on the subject."

-CNN's Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Nikki Haley • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin • South Carolina
  1. Peter M

Palin is a joke; so is Nikki, Mccain all all the Right Wing lunatics. They are hypocrites. They are divisive extremists who should crawl back into their holes in the backwoods. They do not belong in the 21st Century.

May 24, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Yeah, too bad the guy who is "telling lies" is a supporter of hers, so unless it's a giant farce to attempt to draw a sympathy vote or incite feminists to get angry, he has no reason to lie. In fact, he put the cards on the table because people who don't support her were leaking things, so he apparently wanted to diffuse the effect of such reports by being up front about it.

When the story actually breaks that he wasn't lying though, I want a big front page article about the egg on Palin's face, CNN. After all, you make a huge stinky deal of it when Obama endorses someone (even though you do one tiny little article on the endorsement) and that candidate doesn't win. Well, you've been shoving it in our face every single time Palin endorses someone...this would be a HUGE blunder for someone trying to sell us on her "family values," "mama grizzlies" and theocracy. I'm sure you'll walk on egg shells though...she's an advertising revenue cash cow since we flood every article to rip on her.

May 24, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Jeremiah

Palin = sideshow loser

May 24, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Chas in Iowa

Another one of Sarah's high dollar endorsements.
    She don't care about ethics, it's all in the money.

May 24, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. Dave

It amazes me how you can use someone's own words against them, and they deflect blame like you are trying to trick them.

What is your foreign policy experience? I can see Russia from my porch. You betcha.

Stupid is as stupid does!!!!

May 24, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. mitchyj

Every time Sarah Palin opens her mouth, I reach for my airsick bag.
    What a disgusting hypocrite.

May 24, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. Robin

Well...Palin is the expert!!! I wonder if all of sudden some photos or videos are posted on the internet...

May 24, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. Jane in WI

what a dingbat Palin is

May 24, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. Independent Joe

I laugh at the way liberals try to take down female canidates. Who says sexism is dead? It's alive and well in the democrat party! Just ask Hillary.

May 24, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

YAYYyyyyyy
    Another tin foil hat endorsement!
    I can't wait to see how the Tea Party MOVEMENT impacts the general elections in November...
    Every time Sarah Palin and the Tea Party endorses another "successful" Republican candidate, the stakes go up!
    If the Baggers win a lot of seats, it's REALLY bad for the general populace.

VOTE AMERICA

May 24, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. Squigman

Every time this persons face is shown on the news, or any form of media, I'm motivated to shut down the computer, turn off the television, and cancel the subscription to the paper. If this is the best we can muster, we need to do a lot of self analysis, and follow the path leading away from this kind of mind-set, and reasoning.

May 24, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. keeth in California

Palin is at home in South Carolina, where the politicians can only crow "Me, me, me, me, me!"

May 24, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. Palin Schmalin

Anyone taking advice from Sarah Palin must be completely out of their mind. Every time this woman opens her mouth something dumb comes out. I will never forgive John McCain for bringing this ditz to mainsteam media's attention.
    Why doesn't she just drive that snowmobile and fade away on that bridge to nowhere.

May 24, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Frank A NYC

"she's a threat to a corrupt political machine,"

I assume Palin is talking about Sanford. In SC whomever wins the GOP primary wins the election, so the knives are out.

May 24, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. The_Traveler

Sarah Palin's "Advice for the Sexually Compromised"...

May 24, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. CMG

No surprise, Sarah, is always there to encourage other women to join her "I am a victim club." Take your money and go home. Those of us with more than marginal intelligence can see through you and your strategies. I just wish Rachel Maddow could take you on like she did your friend, Rand. You wouldn't have a prayer. She wouldn't protect you and your ignorance, like the boys on FOX...

May 24, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. Four and The Door

It is refreshing to see a politician just step up and say the right thing quickly and decisively. That's just one of the things that makes Sarah Palin genuine. It's called knowing what you are talking about and stepping up with confidence. Unlike some of the politicians in Washington who are trying ( and trying... ) to act like leaders, she doesn't need a room full of political advisors to tell her what stance to take on issues.

May 24, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Joel in Ohio

Palin blogged "[D]on't let some blogger make any accusation against your Nikki if the guy doesn't even have the guts or the integrity to speak further on such a significant claim."

So what is she saying about bloggers? Calling the kettle black Palin?

May 24, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. Louis

***TO ALL PALIN SUPPORTERS: Can anyone please explain how Sarah Palin has any credibility? Palin's advice to Haley regarding the governorship–"Hang in there. I've been there." And what did Palin do when she was governor? SHE QUIT. And this is the Tea Party's idol?

May 24, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Steven in Charleston

I wonder if Sarah Palin would be so quick to assume the accusations made were "lies" if they had been leveled at one of the Democratic candidates, or even one of Ms. Haley's GOP opponents.

Actually, I don't wonder at all. I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

May 24, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. forwardgal

Aside from the fact that the accusations may not be true, I doubt it matters in dummy South Carolina anyhow...they'll follow cows to the polls they're so dumb. So, who cares which idiot politician there wins ANYTHING?
    I keep suggesting they put a fence to keep them contained; nobody listens! How frustrating!

May 24, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Quake

Does Palin ever say anything useful or relevant? What suggestions has she ever made on policy issues or strategy? She wins the award for talking a lot and saying nothing.

May 24, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  23. Jdog

Imagine the false outrage from Palin, the GOP establishement, and their teabagger followers if this Haley had been a Democrat! LOL...

If you vote Republican you are a self-loathing sap for supporting the "do as I say not as I do crowd." Either you have convictions or you don't, people!

May 24, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. jerseylou

YUPER.....Qualifications and Integrity is at stake here South Carolina. You have to have both of these to lead not just one, think before you vote.

May 24, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  25. IKHAN

unfortunate for Americans to have the likes of Sarah Palin qualifying to be on national media & endorsing wannabees.

May 24, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |