May 28th, 2010

Obama: 'The buck stops with me'

Washington (CNN) - "I ultimately take responsibility for solving this crisis," Obama said about the continuing oil spill in the Gulf. "I'm the president, and the buck stops with me."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Liz the First

This man makes me so proud i voted for him. This is what a real president does, not spending a third of his presidency on vacation 'clearing brush.' He can't wave a magic wand and make it all better, but he sure is trying. if he raised the dead and healed the sick, the mindless haters would find a way to bash him for it. i'd bet none of the morons who post all the hate on this ticker could do even a hundredth as good a job as he's doing in the most difficult job in the world.

May 28, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. Four and The Door

Usually he is much quicker to actually pull himself together and make a speech. But hey, he had DADT to worry about and then that whole Sestak thing. After 6 weeks I'm sure this is starting to look like something he should go down and make a speech about. I hope he didn't get any oil on his Salvatore Ferragamo shoes. It's pretty sticky down there in Lousiana these days.

May 28, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Willy Brown

Where were you 5 weeks ago Barry?

May 28, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  4. ib

He used this disaster to promote his so called green agenda. Every American will pay for his promoting his personel agenda. What a joke we have for a president.

May 28, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. TCM

wow...I feel better...now...knowing that Obama's on the job...the most inept, crooked, inexperienced chicago street thug..who's managed to slip into the White House is suddenly an oil expert..whew...

May 28, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  6. JES

You just don't have a clue. Another photo op and you are on your way.

Get real and try to do something you really mean and not just trying to score points with the voters.

I thought Jimmy Carter was bad but you take the cake.

This is why we needed someone with experience not someone who can manage up but not down.

May 28, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. Ken

It's amazing how people talk bad a bout the gov't but realize how important gov't is when we really need them. I bet it's environmental engineers from the Aif Force and/or Navy that finds a workable solution. aka federal gov't

May 28, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. sine

I have never seen a President as responsible as this guy. Honestly speaking, although the President is the President he shouldn't feel the need to take responsibility for every single thing. Sometimes it's bigger than him.

But that's what makes him great and all the others average!!!

May 28, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Riley

Obams is no loner credible and certainly NOT IN CHARGE OF ANYTHING.....except rhetoric!!!

May 28, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. American Patriot -- a "real" tea partier

It has been too long since America could be proud of her president. We had 8 years of being ashamed of Bush and Cheney and what they did.

May 28, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. not enough

I am extremely disappointed in President Obama. What he is doing is not enough for the following:

1: Picking a number like "tripling" the hiring may sound good in a sound bite but that type of arbitrary number is not based on need.

2. It is not enough to say "more" beaches-"all" beaches need cleanup and protection.

3. The federal government should pay the claims and seek reimbursement from BP. That will eliminate the delays and allow the government to decide what are valid claims and not BP.

I am sadly disappointed in this President's response. I had previously been a supporter of Obama but he appears to have missed his opportunity to address this situation and instead sought photo ops and soundbites.

May 28, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. no more incumbents

Unfortunately, all of our bucks stop with him. They don't get to us anymore. I think I'd vote for Biden over this idiot. At least he's too stupid to con anyone.

May 28, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  13. Marie MD

The buck should stop with the people from BP who continue to lie about what they are doing to everyone, including our government.
    It's obvious that they can't stop the leak.
    All those engineering minds and nothing to show for it.

May 28, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. Paul from Phoenix

I love how he says this after 35 days and the apparent successful stopping of the spill. However, he was more then happy to blame everyone from BP to Bush before this.

May 28, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  15. normajean

It takes a lot of courage and character to be president at this stage in the game. He came in to more major problems than most any president has and in the midst of trying to correct a tremendous mess without the help, in fact the hindrence, of the other party, he has now been hit with a problem like no other president has ever faced and being critisized from all sides while trying to get things done. Picture yourself,with everything in your life falling apart at the same time and then an earthquake levels your house.I wouldn't blame him if he just threw up his hands,said "hell with it" and took off for the Riviera. You people that continue throwing barbs must be extremely special or, just THINK you are.

May 28, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. domincanmamaforuhbama

The only thing this clown is capable of is passing the buck.

May 28, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. FL

Give me a break! The crisis is coming to an end and after oboma and his administration did nothing but stand in the way of solving the problem he wants to step in and get credit. HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK WE ARE? The media coverage is just plain sick. "Daddy did you plug the hole yet?" What an insult to your readers who want real journalism and not partyline political propaganda. DADDY DID YOU PLUG THE HOLE? YOU CAN EVEN SEE HOW DISJOINTED THE ARticle was. THE PARAGRAPH WAS JUST PLUGGED IN THERE with no flow at all. Not buying the lame explanation of the job offer which was made. Give up a political career move for a low level none paying job. That's a realistic story.

May 28, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. LilKlutz4

There are reports from Grand Isle that Obama was fooled! Clean up crews were bused in this morning, spread out over areas Obama would fly over, and as soon as the choppers were gone THEY LEFT!

May 28, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  19. jp,michigan

I* hate to be the one to tell you Mr. President, but since the day you took the oath of office the " buck stopped with you". It is finally now that you have taken OWNERSHIP of that fact. That the Bush administration is long gone and it is the Obama administration!

May 28, 2010 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Remember the Alamo

Well it stops on a dead end road.

May 28, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  21. Joe

I am not the President, but the buck should have been with me to start cleaning up that mess.

May 28, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. Eric

"I take responsibility for solving this crisis," Barry Dunham said.

Uh oh... up next: "Bucks for Barrels" or "Cleanup Stimulus."

Hold onto your wallet... Barry has an "idea."

Is it 2012 YET???

May 28, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. leaning right....

lol the bucks never stop with you!!!!!!

May 28, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  24. mike

I feel sorry for President Obama and the reason I do it that this man can do nothing right base on the opinions of every tom-dick-harry. Everyone on the news channel is saying he's not doing a great job on the oil spill. IF i remmber over the last 19 months everyone was saying that the government should back off and let the states work out their problems. The A merican people need to stop and look at them selfs and shut the hell up and stop complaining because the U.S. problems can not be solve over night nor by a one term president. These problems been in the making over a numbers of years and its going to take years to correct them if we the people work with the government instead working against the government. I do agree with all my heart that we need to clean house in our congress but not with nuts like PALIN,PAUL,MCCAIN ETC ETC!!!!!!!!!!!

May 28, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. Discernment

WHY?

How come I never hear any high level politician ever say "the buck stops with me". I have never heard high profile Republican-GOP members utter those words.

(1.) – Not from Bush for his war in Iraq over non-existent WMDs.
    (2.) – Not from Cheney for his stripping EPA, MMS, OSHA, and other agencies that protect America from BP oil disasters.
    (3.) – Not from Maverick John McCain who did not vet Sarah Palin before bringing this stupid foul mouth idiot on the national scene.
    (4.) – Not from Sarah Palin who refuse to own up to her plundering of Alaska's state funds and improper firing of Alaska's state trooper, but she still manage to quit half way through her governorship to make money touring the country and giving speeches.

May 28, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |