May 28th, 2010

Sestak confirms White House account

Sestak released a statement Friday.
Sestak released a statement Friday.

(CNN) – Rep. Joe Sestak is confirming the statements in the  White House memo released Friday morning, saying former President Bill Clinton reached out to him about a potential unpaid position in the Obama administration:

"Last summer, I received a phone call from President Clinton. During the course of the conversation, he expressed concern over my prospects if I were to enter the Democratic primary for U.S. Senate and the value of having me stay in the House of Representatives because of my military background," Sestak said in a statement. "He said that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel had spoken with him about my being on a Presidential Board while remaining in the House of Representatives."

Full Sestak statement after the jump:

"Last summer, I received a phone call from President Clinton. During the course of the conversation, he expressed concern over my prospects if I were to enter the Democratic primary for U.S. Senate and the value of having me stay in the House of Representatives because of my military background. He said that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel had spoken with him about my being on a Presidential Board while remaining in the House of Representatives. I said no. I told President Clinton that my only consideration in getting into the Senate race or not was whether it was the right thing to do for Pennsylvania working families and not any offer. The former President said he knew I'd say that, and the conversation moved on to other subjects.

"There are many important challenges facing Pennsylvania and the rest of the country. I intend to remain focused on those issues and continue my fight on behalf of working families."

Filed under: Joe Sestak
  1. Sgt. USMC

Good job Sestak... take your foot out of your mouth and start campaigning. The last thing we need is another repub in Washington.

May 28, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  2. Joe

Don't ask don't tell policy should be apply to the White House staffers.

May 28, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  3. Anonymous

The call for special prosecuters on every issue is getting to be a joke.
    As a Deomcrat and if a Democrat did it i would say the samething as i say to the Republicans that seem to call for these so often- Whose paying for it?
    these investigations cost money and other than for politcal "gotcha" ability what is the purpose?
    Our politicans remind me of the women whose house was on fire and complained she needed to dust before she could leave it.
    Put your efforts and our money in to things that matter.

May 28, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  4. lovable liberal

This story has legs – Fox legs. Without a network of right-wing media openly trying to damage President Obama, this would be a small curiosity. Instead, it's a monger's scandal – nothing there but hot air from pundits.

May 28, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  5. barbara

isnt this the same guy who, just last week, kept saying that he was answering honestly about being offered a job? why does he find it so very easy to lie now? i have news for him,...it doesnt matter what he says and swears to in this matter, he will NOT beat Toomey for the senate seat so he really is just wasting his time and money.

May 28, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  6. phoenix86

Ah, the Obama adminstration. Mob rule with Al Capone politics. I haven't see anything like this since Idi Amin in Uganda.

May 28, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  7. Patsy, Texas

There you have it. Now, can the Republicans work as fast on the
    pressing problems facing America as they did calling for a full
    investigation? Or would they like to investigate the Bush/Cheney
    fiasco. Oh, sorry, we can't talk about that.

May 28, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. OklahomaBound

So I guess the WH gave Sestak a better offer to go along with the cover story they made up to hide their criminal act than they did to try to get him to drop out of the PA Senate race against Spector.

May 28, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. nick

was it even necessary to make this public?

May 28, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  10. ben

And now the story is dead!

May 28, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. Capt. Snarky

Joe – Good to see that you and the Administration could get your stories straight. So- How DOES it feel to sell your soul?

Laws were broken here. Someone needs to be charged......

May 28, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  12. Anonymous

I have nothing to say regarding politics to CNN. I don't like you I don't
    trust you!!! However, I have seen some good totally unrelated programs, I'll give you that . I like Christian Amanpour and host on the
    sunday 12:00noon program, I could look it up but takes to long to get
    around the house – please forgive me, but I do like your program
    usually quite good.

May 28, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. CBR

The whole issue of Congressman Sestak is on the front burner because there our no other issues which the GOP would like to discuss. It is always easier to criticize than to do something productive.

Here we go again – the playing of politics at a time when there is so much to be done to get us going again. Never mind that each investigation costs a lot of money which the GOP complains about spending.

May 28, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  14. Obama the liar

Let's see, Bubba offering Sestak a job in the Obama regime and there is no problem?? Corruption runs deep in the Democrap party.

May 28, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  15. Seth

The Obama administration should ask the AG to appoint a Special Prosecutor to investigate this and George Bush and Chaney's dealings, that would be a good way to put Bush and Chaney behind bars in a non-political way

May 28, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. Tim

Boy, couldn't see this coming, could you.

Whitehouse makes announcement on a Friday before a long weekend. Bubba and the One have lunch yesterday to get their "stories" straight. The One knows the answer to the question when asked yesterday, but doesn't want to answer follow up questions, less he screw something up. Sestak not remembering that Bubba is not a high ranking white house official, Sestak confirming white house report after white house report is released, less he screw up their spin.

Good job press, keep up your fantastic investigative journalism.

May 28, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. FactCheck

Awww.... now, all of those teabaggers have their collective bubbles burst by the truth. Don't you guys hate it when facts get in the way of your ideology?

May 28, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Mesa Mick

Note to rethugliCANTs, Obama haters and neocon pot bangers...

"Nuthin' to see here folks, just keep movin" along"...

May 28, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. becky montgomery

Let's see–if we scale this from 1 to 10 and 10 is lying to go into war for profit and ego while 4,000 men die, then I would say this is a 0.

May 28, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |