June 1st, 2010

Arizona Gov. to Obama: We'll see you in court

(CNN) – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer made clear Tuesday she's not worried about a potential legal challenge from the Obama administration over her state's controversial immigration law.

"We'll meet you in court," Brewer told CNN's John King when asked how she would respond if President Barack Obama's justice department decided to challenge the law. "I have a pretty good record of winning in court."

The American Civil Liberties Union is currently leading a court challenge and Attorney Gen. Eric Holder, who met with a delegation of police chiefs from Arizona and elsewhere this week to discuss the law, has not indicated whether the federal government would file a legal challenge.

Obama, who himself has called the law "misguided," will meet with Brewer at the White House on Thursday, a White House official told CNN's Ed Henry. It will be the first time the two meet one-on-one since Brewer approved the law in April.

But Brewer strongly defended the law on CNN's John King, USA, saying she would not suspend it even if Obama sharply increased the number of U.S. troops at the Mexican border.

"I think what we've done is mirrored a federal law," she said. "The people of Arizona, certainly people throughout America agree that it is the right thing to do. We've been down this path before with securing our borders in Arizona. And nothing was finished."

"So we need to move forward," Brewer added. "You know, it's trespassing when you cross the border into Arizona into the United States. It's trespassing. We need our borders secured."

The new immigration law, implemented last month, allows police officers to check the residency status of anyone who is being investigated for a crime or possible legal infraction if there is reasonable suspicion the person is an illegal resident. Critics, including Holder, have said the law will promote racial profiling.

But Brewer said Tuesday the law does not target an individual's specific race.  She also made clear driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship.

"It wouldn't matter if you are Latino or Hispanic or Norwegian," she said. If you didn't have proof of citizenship and the police officer had reasonable suspicion, he would ask and verify your citizenship. I mean, that's the way that it is. That's what the federal law says. And that's what the law in Arizona says."

The Arizona governor also said the White House has not adequately communicated with her about Obama's recently announced plan to dispatch 1,200 National Guard troops to the border.

"I'm sitting here with no good information. It would be very helpful, I might say, if somebody would give me something in writing telling me what they're sending to Arizona, how will it be distributed?" she said.

Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • JKUSA • John King USA • Popular Posts
  1. jbraxston

The more she opens are mouth the more she's justifying that she is definately suffering from constipation of the brain and diaherra of the mouth....Well done Jan....I guess you got tired of always saying," It's all about Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!!!"

June 1, 2010 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  2. Get A Grip

WOW....I LOVE THIS ARIZONA GOV. BREWER....Now that's a woman not to mess with.

What this country needs is less politicians like O'blamer and more politicians like Gov. Brewer.

June 1, 2010 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. IBMMuseum

Governor Brewer doesn´t know that most U.S. citizens don´t commonly carry proof of that citizenship, that naturalized citizens don´t have to carry proof within the United States, and that minor Legal Permanant Residents don´t have to carry proof of residency...

She misrepresents Federal immigration law...

She doesn´t understand the common police action of a ¨Terry Stop¨ applied to vehicles...

But she keeps plodding along...

Plum crazy...

June 1, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  4. Navy Vet

"I think what we've done is mirrored a federal law," she said. [sic]

What she fails to realize repeatedly is that she is Not the Federal Government and does not have Federal Powers. She has overstepped her powers and the law is not Constitutional.

June 1, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  5. sara

Governor it would have been very helpful if you had of communicated with the President of the United States BEFORE you suceeded from This country with your "rogue" laws. During previous administrations you didn't hear a "peep" from you or the other wealthy as..... who have used these illegal immigrants for nothing less than slavery. I wouldn't bet with you, Missy.

June 1, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  6. Ray

My concerns surround the many ways illegal immigrants can be used and abused – once for example when the landlord finds out....What kind of force can (both legal and illegal) he bring to bear? Building owners can force them to live in substandard housing? American employers of illegal immigrants can force them to work for little money. What sort of bullying goes on – in work places, homes, streets and schools of Arizona? Who can illegals complain to? Oh, I forgot, Arizona doesn't care. I know Arizona is in a tough spot – but oppression only divides the country. You were right in addressing the problem as it pushes the Feds to do their job. The solution you chose may cause violence – especially if the immigrants feel trapped and we offer no reasonable alternative to expelling millions of undocumented people. People in small ways, break the law everyday. It isn't fair or useful to decide which law is enforced to the max when there are alternatives. Amnesty is a useful concept when trying to reach workable compromises. Anyway, good luck Arizona.

June 1, 2010 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  7. jp,michigan

There are and have been federal laws on the books for many years, but the federal government has failed to enforce those laws regarding illegal aliens entering the USA. So state whom are most effected by the crossing of these individuals have to protect law biding citizens born here and naturalized citizens, those who became citizens the proper way. It have been reported that Arizona is second in the kidnapping and killing of American citizens , next to Mexico. Would the Mexican government allow people to enter their country illegally without some sort of reprimand? NO!

June 1, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  8. If You Want Something Ruined Let a Democratic Community Organizer Run It

Obama the Logo President is having trouble with them folks in Arizona. I guess the desert dwellers are tired of all the kidnappings, home invasions and murders and decided to actually try and deal with the ILLEGAL immigration problem.

Besides is going to have to reconcile his inability to deal with the BP Oil spill. Whay to go Barry.

June 1, 2010 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  9. Grace

WOW! The Fed wants to sue AZ just because AZ adopted and intends to enforce an immigration law which is already a federal law!! Obama Adm. is taking cues from Mexico gov't.. Great!! If he has U S best interest at heart, stop apologizing and start supporting what's good for the nation he is suppose to lead and protect!!

June 1, 2010 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  10. Bud

I just wonder what Gov. Brewer would say if she were pulled over and asked for her citizenship papers? What would she show? Do we all need to carry a certified birth certificate when in Arizona?

This governor and all her followers are a huge joke. I am certainly glad that I have no business in Arizona.

June 1, 2010 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  11. Ann

She will not get very far. She will have to answer why she fired her Attorney General Terry Goddard. There is a tiny little stipulation in the federal law giving the Attorney General of a state the authority to allow who he/she deems capable to enforce/take into custody persons who might be illegal. No wonder Jan Brewer got her out of the way, she will fire anyone who is in the way if they do not go with her legislation. That's one detail she overlooked... minor details.

June 1, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  12. Karine

I have traveled all over the world and lived in several countries and never did I mind showing my travel documents , passport or proof of residency when asked.
    Why have borders if you fail to secure them , why have laws when you allow them to be broken.
    I admire the Governor of Arizona and think she is a gutsy woman.

June 1, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  13. shooter

Holder should resign since he does not know US Immigration laws.

June 1, 2010 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  14. phoenix86

The majority of Americans support Arizona. it's the left fringe that has been vocally against a state upholding the law.

June 1, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  15. bob

Really. But, I am white and I know I won't get stopped. And, my driver's license isn't sufficient? The Board of Elections says it is. Hmmm. What an idiot for a governor.

June 1, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. dwh

The other southern states bordering Mexico need to follow suite. It is about time for someone to step up and protect our borders. We cannot continue to foot the bill for all these illegal aliens. They cross the border, and end up with more and better benefits than the tax paying Americans get. Enough is enough. I'm considering a move to Arizona myself, and I can prove citizenship.

June 1, 2010 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  17. Joe

I thought the governor presented herself well until she used the term "Democrat party" instead of Democratic party. Only right wing hacks do that to denigrate their opponents instead of coming up with rational arguments as to why their own ideas are valid. It's childish, and reveals that there is less to the governor than meets the eye.

June 1, 2010 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  18. Jerry

We are behind you Ms Brewer, never mind what BHO has to say or does as he fails to enforce the law.

June 1, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  19. Get Real

This woman is a lunatic.

June 1, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  20. Don

Why is ANYONE still listening to this STUPID AIRHEAD????

June 1, 2010 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  21. Jon

A license isn't enough? I'm screwed then. How many people walk around with their passport or whatever will pass her absurd test? If I had a free few weeks I'd go down there and try to get arrested for not being able to prove my citizenship. If it's really not race-based they should have no problem arresting a white guy wearing an "I'm an illegal immigrant, arrest me." t-shirt.

June 1, 2010 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  22. mk

"I have a pretty good record of winning in court." said Jan Brewer.

I am guessing it is because she is used to paying off people to do her business.

June 1, 2010 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  23. Ken

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Everyone wants to criticize Arizona but no one wants to help them or address the real problem of illegal immigration. Come up with real solutions; not just left wing philosophy, which isn't practical or realistic.

June 1, 2010 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  24. Voice of Reason

"...She also made clear driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship..."

WHO goes out with more than a driver's license for ID? So what does it take? A passport? A Birth certificate (mind you, this is the state that still doesnt buy that the President is a citizen)? Fingerprints? More likely it takes having the right kind of accent; the right kind of clothes; the right color of skin.

Gov. Brewer cant seem to see through her fog of "border-control self-righteousness" to see that she has re-enacted Jim Crow laws in the 21st century. She can spew her 'bring it on' bravado bit all she wants, but this IS the Great American Melting Pot, and this ridiculous law will be overturned.

June 1, 2010 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  25. JES

It's about time someone had enough balls to do what's right.

We are theonly country in the world that doesn't ask for proof.

If our courts follow the law you don't have anything to worry about and I am very proud of you stance nd state.

I plan on coming to spend my vacation money in your state.

Thanks for being an American.

People like you are one reason peoplelike me enlisted to protect our rights as Americas coming in the front door not under it.

June 1, 2010 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |