June 1st, 2010

Al and Tipper Gore decide to separate

ALT TEXT

The Gores, shown here at President Obama's inauguration, have decided to separate after 40 years of marriage. (Photo Credit: Getty Images/File)

(CNN) - Former Vice President Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, have sent an e-mail to family friends announcing a mutual decision to separate, a longtime family friend told CNN.

"We are announcing today that after a great deal of thought and discussion, we have decided to separate," the message said. "This is very much a mutual and mutually supportive decision that we have made together following a process of long and careful consideration. We ask for respect for our privacy and that of our family, and we do not intend to comment further."

Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider confirmed the authenticity of the e-mail but declined to comment further.

The couple, married for 40 years, has four grown children and three grandchildren.

Al and Tipper Gore's dramatic kiss on the podium of the Democratic National Convention in 2000 was credited for giving him a more human image in his presidential run.

"The sheer carnality of the kiss - the-can't-wait-to-get-back-to-the-hotel-room urgency, the sexual electricity flowing south - was riveting," Time magazine's Lance Morrow wrote at the time.

CNN Senior Political Analyst Gloria Borger described the kiss as "one of the most memorable moments of the campaign."

"For those of us who have watched political couples over the years this is sad," Borger said. "They are a genuine couple."

Since losing the 2000 presidential race, the former vice president has been active in environmental causes, but he has also pursued business interests.

He co-founded Generation Investment Management, a company that promotes "a new approach to sustainable investing." Gore is also the chairman of Current TV, a cable and satellite television network he co-founded. He also serves as a director for Google and Apple Computer.

His best-selling book about global warming - "An Inconvenient Truth" - was the subject of an Oscar-winning documentary film.

After leaving Washington and returning to Nashville, Tennessee, Tipper Gore considered but decided against a run for a U.S. Senate seat in her home state in 2002.

Read the full e-mail below:

Hi,

We wanted to share this personal news with you because we care so much about you as a friend:

We are announcing today that after a great deal of thought and discussion, we have decided to separate.

Hope to see you soon.

– Al and Tipper

Updated: 2:38 p.m.

Filed under: Al Gore • Popular Posts
  1. Jasmine

Bill and Hillary, Cheney and Lyn, Bush and Laura...YES! I would not have blinked, BUT Al and Tipper Gore???? I am totally shocked and sad.

I wish them both happiness and peace in the next chapter of their lives.. I love Al Gore and really like Tipper as well. I am very shocked!

June 1, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  2. Scudbuster

Wonder if she is getting the new house in California?

June 1, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  3. Karl in Charleston,SC

Didn't Al Gore invent divorce?

June 1, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  4. how2fish

Best wishes to both of them , I've been married half the time they have and understand how tough it can be at times still its just a shame. Still glad we didn't elect him Pres, but this is still sad news.

June 1, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. RJH

Welcome to Hollywood, Mr. and Mrs. Gore.

June 1, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. Stephen

First the election now this, its all Bush's fault!

June 1, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. Ge0ffrey

Bet there's a pretty young thing involved.

June 1, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. CaribbeanJah

Marriage can be hard... I salute Al and Tipper for a long run...

June 1, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  9. Chris

So, the high priest of Global Warming is back on the market, eh?

June 1, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  10. GoCards

Such a brave thing to do after so much time together. Our family wishes the Gore family a peaceful process as they dissolve their marriage. They are amazing and generous people and we are sorry to read this announcement.

June 1, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  11. My Heart is broken

My heart is broken. I can't imagine what could break up such a beautiful couple. My parents celebrated their 50th anniversary. I'm sorry their children won't experience that. It's special. I wish happiness for both of them and will secretly wish they get back together.

June 1, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  12. Tony T

How would you like to be married to that lunatic???? Still waiting for him to DEBATE with a scientist on the global warming scam, instead on just do speeches with his mad up facts. Glad Tipper is dumping him, now she can go listen to some heavy metal!!!

June 1, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  13. Interesting

Funny Al..Tipper.. that is the name of my dog too.

June 1, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  14. Mama

While I personally have never cared for either of the Gores, it is always sad when someone's longtime marriage ends. 40 years is a quite an accomplishment in an age when hardly anything lasts that long. How sad for them and their family.

June 1, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  15. Gore's left footprint

Now she no longer has to worry about her carbon footprint.

June 1, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. Diane

I've been wondering when we would be hearing about this....

June 1, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  17. Anonymous

"therefore liberal logic, ban all heavy metal music."

The ideas that liberals (think of the various definitions of "liberal") would illogically want to ban a form of music is itself a ludicrous claim.

Who, by and large, champions the rights of individuals, and the right of free speech? Liberals.

Who, by and large, would allow the power of the state to submerge the individual (think "torture")? Conservatives.

Tipper's stance, for liberals, was in fact an embarrassing anomaly.

June 1, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  18. gayle

Ahhh boo hoo. Who in their right mind would of stayed married to a bozo like him, if he lies about global warming what does does he lie about.
    didn't like either one of them anyway.
    it does not take 40 years to figure out you are unhappy. They just had to put on the happy front for the media.
    I have been very happily married for almost 40 years so do not say it does not happen anymore.

June 1, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  19. Paula

I thought they were happy. No one knows what goes on in someones marriage and behind closed doors for 40 years. Some suffer in silence . The Clintons are still together and seem happy after all they have been through. Life is a mystery that we don't understand.

June 1, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  20. Guntown Johnny

There are some funny comments in here, particularly the "breaking news" observation. Keep them coming. Any bets on when his young, new hotty will make an official joint appearance?

June 1, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. Tom Jeffers

Al must have been up too late counting the votes.

Al must have slipped and said "Global Warming" instead of "Climate Change" one too many times.

Al must have made her flush too little, too late.

June 1, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  22. Isatou

Wow, I am deeply saddened by the whole thing. After 40 years however the decision is theirs to make. I wish both all the best of luck.

June 1, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  23. DanTex

Al bears no resemblance to the man (physically or intellectually) that he was when he was a Senator from Tennessee. Today, he couldn't get elected dog catcher in TN. Tipper: Buy a Hummer, get your own show on Fox, and sell your tell-all on Oprah. Al deserves all of it.

June 1, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  24. Larry

At least you know this will never happen to the bushies. They're both such losers, they surely realize they've found the only mate who would have the other.

Isn't that hateful? Of course it is, and it was meant to be. But how childish! Sounds like so many of the previous posters.

Seriously, folks, the dissolution of a marriage or partnership or friendship after 40 years is sobering to say the least. I have been through this, almost, but luckily I stumbled onto some good advice before I went through with it. Just remember, when you sever a union of 40 years you're also divorcing a big part of yourself. So unless the circumstances surrounding the split are absolutely irreconcilable.

June 1, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  25. Marc

I don't agree w/ Al & Tipper when it comes to politics, but I know all too well about the pain that comes with divorce and it is something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. I wish them and their children the very best in the future.

June 1, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |