June 1st, 2010

Al and Tipper Gore decide to separate

ALT TEXT

The Gores, shown here at President Obama's inauguration, have decided to separate after 40 years of marriage. (Photo Credit: Getty Images/File)

(CNN) - Former Vice President Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, have sent an e-mail to family friends announcing a mutual decision to separate, a longtime family friend told CNN.

"We are announcing today that after a great deal of thought and discussion, we have decided to separate," the message said. "This is very much a mutual and mutually supportive decision that we have made together following a process of long and careful consideration. We ask for respect for our privacy and that of our family, and we do not intend to comment further."

Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider confirmed the authenticity of the e-mail but declined to comment further.

The couple, married for 40 years, has four grown children and three grandchildren.

Al and Tipper Gore's dramatic kiss on the podium of the Democratic National Convention in 2000 was credited for giving him a more human image in his presidential run.

"The sheer carnality of the kiss - the-can't-wait-to-get-back-to-the-hotel-room urgency, the sexual electricity flowing south - was riveting," Time magazine's Lance Morrow wrote at the time.

CNN Senior Political Analyst Gloria Borger described the kiss as "one of the most memorable moments of the campaign."

"For those of us who have watched political couples over the years this is sad," Borger said. "They are a genuine couple."

Since losing the 2000 presidential race, the former vice president has been active in environmental causes, but he has also pursued business interests.

He co-founded Generation Investment Management, a company that promotes "a new approach to sustainable investing." Gore is also the chairman of Current TV, a cable and satellite television network he co-founded. He also serves as a director for Google and Apple Computer.

His best-selling book about global warming - "An Inconvenient Truth" - was the subject of an Oscar-winning documentary film.

After leaving Washington and returning to Nashville, Tennessee, Tipper Gore considered but decided against a run for a U.S. Senate seat in her home state in 2002.

Read the full e-mail below:

Hi,

We wanted to share this personal news with you because we care so much about you as a friend:

We are announcing today that after a great deal of thought and discussion, we have decided to separate.

Hope to see you soon.

– Al and Tipper

Updated: 2:38 p.m.

Filed under: Al Gore • Popular Posts
  1. fay

They should be like the Clintons – lead separate lives – pretend to be together and try like hell to get back in the WH.

June 1, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Rick Donovan

A sad thing to see after a union of 40 years.

In other news... Regardless of how you view the Gore family, please show a little respect and quit posting hateful comments. Peace.

June 1, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. fester

Al Gore? who is he?

Oh yeah, the guy who made a fortune peddling alarmist nonsense.

I though he died of Dutch Elm disease a long time ago. Is that kid who played Alfalfa in Our Gang still living?

June 1, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  4. Bakarr

The Clintons are next.

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. InNY

I could imagine ever being married to someone like him. its like listening to finger nails on a chalkboard....eeeeeeeeek!

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. tffl

There are a substantial number of people posting here who apparently think they are funny or politically astute. A clue – you are not...

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Never voted him, but I still find this sad. I wish them well and hope they reconcile at some point.

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  8. RomanSMK

So, did the man who invented the internet actually email the kids with this one? Why is reporting the end of the warmist in cheifs marriage news anyway? You mean he is not perfect? I thought he was the Goreacle.

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. brad

Nice personal, sensitive way of handling the announcement–an "email" to family and friends. Would have been easier to Twitter it...

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  10. Been There

Anonymous, doesn't anyone stay married? Alot more marriages would still be strong if men could keep their zippers shut! We don't have to put up with your little adventures anymore, we can support ourselves. Times have changed, but men haven't.

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  11. Roseann

So happy for Tipper Gore – to be free from THAT man.

Free to be. I cannot imagine a worse hell than being married to a hypocrite like Al Gore – who made a living off of lies, lies, lies.

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. Mr. Zippy

Typical mealy-mouthed, watered down Gore, even to end of his marriage - why doesn't have the courage to use the word "divorce" instead of the euphemism "separate"?

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. jujumn

That's too bad..40 years is a lot of history to discard. I feel awful for their kids, too. Even though they are adults with their own families, it's still going to be hard to see their parents separate. Even harder when family gatherings start to come around, and mom/dad-grandma/grandpa show up separately, possibly with someone else. Certainty and stability traded for unease and fragile family ties. It's unfortunate that they can't move beyond the issues and stay together..

June 1, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. Memphis

Very sad to hear this news!!!!!

June 1, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  15. Kate

What a shock. Every year of marriage is a challenge, a lot of work, and much compromising. Longevity is no guarantee it will last til death do they part. It's sad when any marriage fails.

June 1, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. GC

I would expect a comment like this from a guy from California. Nice one Gary. I just wonder what better shape the country would be in if Obama was back in Chicago

This is a sad reminder that we are all human and sometimes things just don't go the way we would like them to. I will forever remember "the kiss"............I was really touched by that at the time. Had we elected this man in 2000 instead of Bush, one can't help but wonder if our country would be in better shape now.

June 1, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. Kim

I am sooo sorry to hear this. The Gores always seemed to be happy and in love. I hope they can work out whatever differences they may have and find their way back to each other. Good bless them and I will keep Al and Tipper and their children in my prayers and thoughts. Another thought I would like to share is that I believe in Gore's Global Warming and to those who do not believe in it – What is so wrong with taking care of our planet. My son is 22 years old and the landfills still have his disposable diapers waiting to desolve into non obscurity. I also don't have a problem with labeling video games, music, etc. with the appropriate age level. This couple has the most important resources of this country on their minds. Our children and our planet. I wish you much luck in your decision. Remember you can always work back to each other later on.

June 1, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. Rita

Accually the last 40 years should be the hardest , and now you should be relaxing together and be best friends, husband and wife , father and mother sharing your life with the joy of your growing fruits your own children and each other.
    I wish I will be hearing that this is a false news and the Gores are love birds and nothing else. Life is too short , please think about your 40 years together, I am sure there is a lot of good memories that you will never forget and you will be living in it for the rest of your life.

Good luck to both of you from all my heart.

June 1, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  19. SWR

Imagine all the hippie global warming cult girls he will get with now. He is a strange man. Maybe his lies have caught with him. Karma.

June 1, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. charlie

His torrid affair with the earth finally caught up with him.

June 1, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. Peace

This is the business between the two. After all we were not there when they started their relationship!

June 1, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  22. Steve

Nice move Al. You shouldn't have any problems hooking up with some college coed that is smitten by your sensitivity and heartfelt concern regarding our changing climate.

June 1, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Sandy

It seems like all marriages come to an end. My parents celebrated 59 years together, and would have kept going if my dad did not die. I believe in getting married and staying, what happend to working it out.
    However, I wish both of them well, I like the Gores,. I hope the news media does not bother them. And, people stop being so mean, there is no love in this world anymore... God is love.

June 1, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  24. Larry

Continued from my first post: unless absolutely irreconcilable, don't do it.

June 1, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  25. rdg

I couldn't be married to a liberal either. They make me sick just being around them.

June 1, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |