June 1st, 2010

Al and Tipper Gore decide to separate

ALT TEXT

The Gores, shown here at President Obama's inauguration, have decided to separate after 40 years of marriage. (Photo Credit: Getty Images/File)

(CNN) - Former Vice President Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, have sent an e-mail to family friends announcing a mutual decision to separate, a longtime family friend told CNN.

"We are announcing today that after a great deal of thought and discussion, we have decided to separate," the message said. "This is very much a mutual and mutually supportive decision that we have made together following a process of long and careful consideration. We ask for respect for our privacy and that of our family, and we do not intend to comment further."

Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider confirmed the authenticity of the e-mail but declined to comment further.

The couple, married for 40 years, has four grown children and three grandchildren.

Al and Tipper Gore's dramatic kiss on the podium of the Democratic National Convention in 2000 was credited for giving him a more human image in his presidential run.

"The sheer carnality of the kiss - the-can't-wait-to-get-back-to-the-hotel-room urgency, the sexual electricity flowing south - was riveting," Time magazine's Lance Morrow wrote at the time.

CNN Senior Political Analyst Gloria Borger described the kiss as "one of the most memorable moments of the campaign."

"For those of us who have watched political couples over the years this is sad," Borger said. "They are a genuine couple."

Since losing the 2000 presidential race, the former vice president has been active in environmental causes, but he has also pursued business interests.

He co-founded Generation Investment Management, a company that promotes "a new approach to sustainable investing." Gore is also the chairman of Current TV, a cable and satellite television network he co-founded. He also serves as a director for Google and Apple Computer.

His best-selling book about global warming - "An Inconvenient Truth" - was the subject of an Oscar-winning documentary film.

After leaving Washington and returning to Nashville, Tennessee, Tipper Gore considered but decided against a run for a U.S. Senate seat in her home state in 2002.

Read the full e-mail below:

Hi,

We wanted to share this personal news with you because we care so much about you as a friend:

We are announcing today that after a great deal of thought and discussion, we have decided to separate.

Hope to see you soon.

– Al and Tipper

Updated: 2:38 p.m.

Filed under: Al Gore • Popular Posts
  1. doug

Once agian it Seems Al misread the global cooling, this time in his own bedroom.

BTW, for a good laugh think about what the lib comments would be if it were Bush who was getting a divorse.

Then again these are the people who support creepy old men peeking into the window of Sarah Palin's young daughter.

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. JV

Look, I hate to see any couple break up, especially if they had invested 40 years together. But WHY is this BREAKING NEWS. When BREAKING NEWS is sent out and arrives in my Inbox, I expect to see something that is culturally or globally significant, be it a catestrophic natural event, a political blowout nationally or internationally, or even the death of a significant person in history. Certainly Al Gore is a significant person in history, but his separation with Tipper is not. In any event, I wish them well.

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  3. FrankZ

Guess inventing the Internet took toll

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  4. Sam

June 1st, 2010 12:38 pm ET

"I'd like to congratulate Tipper for finally coming to her senses and dumping this loser who has never worked a day in his life."

Umm.... what? Never worked a day in his life? That's quite a bold and erroneous statement.

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. 4Gore

Hey omit,

You are WRONG. Al Gore and his wife lived in a trailer while he was in the army and after wards while he WORKED as a journalist at the Tennesseean. He also spent summers in Carthage working in the tobacco fields. So while he didn't dig ditches (as I assume you've done?) he has actually WORKED. Unless you don't count journalism as work?

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. azpete

Whether you agree or disagree with Al Gore, it is pathetic to leave politically motivated, mean-spirited comments. It shows the immature mentality of those who are unable to treat a politician as an individual when it comes to their private lives. The idea that someone who disagrees with one's opinions is not worthy of respect and consideration is a truly sad reflection on many people's outlook these days.

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. tom

My Best to both of them,
    I am sure it was a very difficult thing to do.

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. RS

Wow ! I never saw that one coming. And I like Al. He's a good person, and I hate to see this happen. Hope his friend Tommy Lee Jones has been keeping in touch to keep his spirits up during this trying time. I know it's rough, because I'm at that point right now. Good luck Al ! You'll be alright.

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  9. ig

Each of them stands for something disrespectful: Al with his global warming scam, and Tipper with her censorship campaigns. They deserve far worse than just a rocky marriage.

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  10. DD979

Maybe she got tired of his lies one would have to think if you are in the habit of lieing all the time then it would spill into the marriage. I wonder why they really bought the Beach House!!

June 1, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. Frank Lloyd

Global warming comes before family, family falls apart. Tipper's future just became brighter.

June 1, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. Steve Gledhill

The hole created by this sad process will be huge in all lives of their family & friends. If you pray, pray for them. Politics aside I hope they can work things out. There is an answer, but selfishness & self-interest is a powerful obstacle.

June 1, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. migtex1234

Mr Dull wife finally could not stand husband's huge ego & stuffy persona. Not many folks could bear to be in "the wooden man" presence. Mr. dull has zero content. Lies & playing about finally cancelled their union. Good for her. She might finally get out and enjoy life for a change.

June 1, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. Shermani

She must be tired of defending his lies about global warming! Sounds like Al's gonna have to chill with one of his girlfriends........ oops, cat's out of the bag now.

June 1, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. me

After 40 years, I,m sure she has a few wrinkles around the neck and else where. Time to trade her in. Seriously though, I'm sad to hear this and I wish they could work it out and I wish the best to both.

June 1, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. alanD

Yeah, I agree. Although, there were plenty of times I didn't agree with the policies he put forth, it is just scary. And sad.
    You'd think after 40 years you'd have it figured out...... But you can never take it for granted that your home free.

June 1, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. IS

To California Gary: we did elect Al Gore to be the President. Others did not agree with us and stole the election.

June 1, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. Len

Just because they were married for 40 years doesn't mean they had a happy marriage. If they needed to get divorced, so be it. Who cares?

BTW, she is more a nutcase than him...and he's pretty out there.

June 1, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  19. Lili, FL

I heard they started fighting because Tipper wanted a Hummer for her birthday.

June 1, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. crappiefisherman

I would bet that Tipper will be the winner in this, hope the best for her
    and her children.

June 1, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  21. harold beirne

A case of too much hot air?

June 1, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  22. Jefe

I wonder if she said: "You censored son of a censored! I knew you were censoring that censoring censor!"

June 1, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. Bill Harris

Al Gore is a retard.

June 1, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. Geoff

Hey Tipper, I hear John Edwards is available

June 1, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. Anonymous

This must be the work of Man-Bear-Pig!

June 1, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |