June 1st, 2010

Palin targets NBC over McGinniss interview

Palin is taking aim at NBC for their recent interview of Joe McGinniss.
Palin is taking aim at NBC for their recent interview of Joe McGinniss.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin is taking aim at NBC over the network's interview Tuesday with Joe McGinniss, the journalist who is writing a book about the former Alaska governor and currently renting the home next door to her.

Calling NBC's actions the "most recent illustration of the untrustworthiness of America's mainstream media," Palin criticizes the network on her Facebook page for not including statements she and her husband, Todd, had provided ahead of the segment.

"We were glad to provide a statement and appreciated NBC's promise to run it," Palin wrote in the post Tuesday. "Todd and I both crafted the statement very carefully because our new neighbor has taken to accusing us of 'inciting hatred' – a charge which we obviously take very seriously … But there was just one problem: NBC broke their promise and didn't run our statements after all."

McGinniss, who previously authored a largely-critical portrayal of Palin for the now-defunct Portfolio Magazine, moved into the Wasilla home last month, prompting the Palins to build a 14-foot fence separating the two properties.

In the nine-minute "Today Show" segment, McGinniss defended his decision to rent the home next door, saying it had more to do with the property's low rent than its proximity to the subject of his upcoming book.

"The fact is I would be living in this house if the Palin's lived on the moon. Fifteen hundred bucks a month for a house in Wasilla. I need to be in Wasilla to do my work," he told NBC's Matt Lauer. "I am not observing them at all. I am here to talk to people who have known them for 40 years in Wasilla."

McGinniss also took aim at Palin for recently posting a photograph of him on her Facebook page and suggesting he was spying on her family.

"Sarah hysterically puts up this Facebook page with all sort of ugly innuendo, which frankly is revolting the things she has caused people to say about me," he said. "I think this is probably a lesson for the American people of the power Sarah has to incite hatred and her willingness and readiness to do it."

McGinnis went on to compare Palin's tactics to those of the "Nazi troopers used in the 1930's."

In the statement, Palin claims NBC chose not run, the former vice presidential nominee says McGinniss "certainly has a right to live wherever he wants, but my family also has a right to expect privacy, and hopefully to enjoy peace this summer … the media sensationalizes the recent McGinniss' tactic so the public will tune in to whatever the latest episode is, always with ratings in mind, and that's unfortunate."

Palin also said that NBC provided "a lame excuse" for not airing her statement and promised to do so Wednesday.

UPDATE: A spokeswoman for the Today Show told CNN, "We were unable to run [the statements] this morning due to a timing issue."

Filed under: Joe McGinniss • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. nola

I am begging you, CNN, to Please stop write about this crazy woman. There are many more important issues to write about -

June 1, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  2. Leslie

Palin is an ignorant hate munger! Everytime she opens her mouth she proves it! She is obviously a sick puppy! I kind not for the life of me understand how anyone can think she is anything but ridiculous!
    Why does the media keep her in the "News"?

June 1, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  3. Sean

This just proves that Sarah Palin in fact watches the "lame stream media". How else would she have known if they ran her quote or not?

June 1, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  4. Justin

I guess Sara Palin is the only one allowed to have freedom of speech, the freedom to write a book, and the freedom to do one sided interviews.

June 1, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  5. LC in CA

If I lived next the diva-barracuda, I'd build a fence, and stone fortress, a moat, and a drawbridge. I wouldn't want her children playing with mine- the Palins are here? Hide the silver and there go the property values.

June 1, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  6. Jim

Once again another demonstration of Palin not being able to take the heat in the kitchen. Why are we giving this quitter more attention? This person wants to be President? God save us from this moron.

June 1, 2010 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  7. Linda

McCain, McCain what have you done?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please somebody deliver us from this moron!!!!!!!

June 1, 2010 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  8. Pat in IL

What an idiot. She thrives on trying to make herself a "victim"......never bothering to take the high road or assuming some responsibility. She is a hate monger who needs to keep her stupid mouth shut until she develops some intelligence. Sorry to be so negative, but I'm completely fed up with her mouth and the really idiotic things that come out of it.

June 1, 2010 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  9. tag

never trust the left wing liberal media....nbc is so biased that i refuse to watch any of their news programs....and that my friends is my freedom of speech.

June 1, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  10. Nawal

OMG! Why is this woman being given so much attention. Just tell her to go home.....

June 1, 2010 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  11. stacy

I can't figure out which is more pathetic.... Sarah Palin or the people that perpetuate her celebrity status..... please, let her fade away and give us some peace, we have more important issues to deal with right now!

June 1, 2010 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  12. vicky

Hello shes the one who is talking trash as always she loves to get the spotlight she chose to be out in the open meaning she chose to lose her privacy so she has no reason to be complaining

June 1, 2010 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  13. farmerJeani

if Carribou Barbi is what she says she is, she would welcome her new neighbor, invite him over for barbeques and let him see what she is all about. Instead, she builds a 14 foot fence around her home. Hmmmmmmmmm. wonder what we're hiding?

June 1, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  14. cornell johnson

Why give this woman the time of day. It is obvious she is on the low end of the I Q standard. enough already

June 1, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  15. Jason

BOO HOO .....

Sarah "I Quit ON Alaskans" Palin will never give up!

She'll chastise the media in 1 sentence then use them to incite hatred and racism in the next breathe..

Sarah "I QUIT" Palin, PLEASE go away!

June 1, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  16. Meka

JUST THINK, Palin was a HEARTBEAT AWAY FROM BEING PRESIDENT! wow..

June 1, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  17. doug

There is an ugly rumor floating about which suggests that Sarah Palin might be a homo-sapien.

June 1, 2010 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  18. Pathetic

It's always amazed me how fearful liberals become when Sarah Palin is mentioned! The hatred liberals have for her is astounding. Intelligence is showing respect for your opposition not hatred – deal with facts not emotions and we'll see who the real people are! In the words of Bambi – "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything!

June 1, 2010 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  19. Concerned Citizen

Sarah? You comment wasn't run because you aren't newsworthy. Here's a flash. . . you haven't been for some time. No one fears you, wants you around or even likes you. The party is over, you have stayed too long and you need to say goodbye.
    Let me help you: GET LOST!

June 1, 2010 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  20. JohnBoy

Sarah.....thanks for alerting me about the book. I now will buy it and read it. I was not aware of it until you decided to go nuktty.

June 1, 2010 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  21. JohninTampa

Oh be quiet Sarah. It will come out if it is true or not. I do not care myself as I am too jaded by now. If true and you are embaeassed well you knew better by now. Or should have.

June 1, 2010 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  22. TBA

Sarah is mad because she knows she has some skeleton hidden the closet and this guy will expose them all. So she plays the victim card attacking all news media if they do not support her like Fox News which is now known as GOP Network. Notice majority of those anchors on Fox News are Republicans and they hire former GOP Govs or reps.

June 1, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  23. mims

Why oh why won't the Palins go away...

June 1, 2010 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  24. geddy2112

Drill, baby, drill? If this country ever had enough dumb people to elect her to a high office. I think I'd have to move.

June 1, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  25. Colleen

strange, I suspect just us normal folks would not be able to build such a high fence due to restrictions...even if we lived in Alaska
    ...are there no zoning restrictions what-so-ever there? ...or is Sarah able to do as she pleases no matter the regulations
    ...she is a political Diva...
    ...and a moron too....