June 1st, 2010

Palin targets NBC over McGinniss interview

Palin is taking aim at NBC for their recent interview of Joe McGinniss.
Palin is taking aim at NBC for their recent interview of Joe McGinniss.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin is taking aim at NBC over the network's interview Tuesday with Joe McGinniss, the journalist who is writing a book about the former Alaska governor and currently renting the home next door to her.

Calling NBC's actions the "most recent illustration of the untrustworthiness of America's mainstream media," Palin criticizes the network on her Facebook page for not including statements she and her husband, Todd, had provided ahead of the segment.

"We were glad to provide a statement and appreciated NBC's promise to run it," Palin wrote in the post Tuesday. "Todd and I both crafted the statement very carefully because our new neighbor has taken to accusing us of 'inciting hatred' – a charge which we obviously take very seriously … But there was just one problem: NBC broke their promise and didn't run our statements after all."

McGinniss, who previously authored a largely-critical portrayal of Palin for the now-defunct Portfolio Magazine, moved into the Wasilla home last month, prompting the Palins to build a 14-foot fence separating the two properties.

In the nine-minute "Today Show" segment, McGinniss defended his decision to rent the home next door, saying it had more to do with the property's low rent than its proximity to the subject of his upcoming book.

"The fact is I would be living in this house if the Palin's lived on the moon. Fifteen hundred bucks a month for a house in Wasilla. I need to be in Wasilla to do my work," he told NBC's Matt Lauer. "I am not observing them at all. I am here to talk to people who have known them for 40 years in Wasilla."

McGinniss also took aim at Palin for recently posting a photograph of him on her Facebook page and suggesting he was spying on her family.

"Sarah hysterically puts up this Facebook page with all sort of ugly innuendo, which frankly is revolting the things she has caused people to say about me," he said. "I think this is probably a lesson for the American people of the power Sarah has to incite hatred and her willingness and readiness to do it."

McGinnis went on to compare Palin's tactics to those of the "Nazi troopers used in the 1930's."

In the statement, Palin claims NBC chose not run, the former vice presidential nominee says McGinniss "certainly has a right to live wherever he wants, but my family also has a right to expect privacy, and hopefully to enjoy peace this summer … the media sensationalizes the recent McGinniss' tactic so the public will tune in to whatever the latest episode is, always with ratings in mind, and that's unfortunate."

Palin also said that NBC provided "a lame excuse" for not airing her statement and promised to do so Wednesday.

UPDATE: A spokeswoman for the Today Show told CNN, "We were unable to run [the statements] this morning due to a timing issue."

Filed under: Joe McGinniss • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Patrick

I disagree with Sarah Palin's politics with every fiber of my being. But unfortunately, she's absolutely right about our national media, most especially NBC/MSNBC, Fox News, and frankly, CNN. They are all cleary biased in one direction or the other (left or right) and they all do a terrible job of giving us unbiased news. In the particular case of Palin, I didn't celebrate the incredible sexism she was a victim of any more than I did the incredible sexism launched at Hillary Clinton (my candidate). And I don't celebrate NBC's biased coverage of Palin anymore than I celebrate Fox News' coverage of Obama and the left. Let's face facts. This man is harrassing the Palins. And if a right-wing journalist did that to the Obamas or the Clintons, I think more people would be outraged. It's a 2-way street.

June 1, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  2. John VA

Well-deserved and laughable at the same time! Sarah, if you hate the media so much, than try, even for just one day, to stay out of it and keep your ignorant trap shut! This makes me laugh!

June 1, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  3. EdwardfromAz

She is not a private citizen. She spouts off on nFaux News about topics she has little or no knowledge of.

She charges hugh sums of money to give speeches but will n ot talk one on one with gthe national Media. Wonder why that is. She feels safe on FB and will not allow any postings that disagree with her 8 year old nonesense.

June 1, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  4. jooks

She is a fascists for thinking she can control the press like that

June 1, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  5. Recreator

"A fourteen foot fence"! I guess zoning laws do not exist in Wasala. Maybe a cloudy bubble would have been better.

June 1, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  6. Angelica

I think some of you need to take a few deep breaths. Like her or not, Sarah Palin is entitled to live a life without obvious detractors spying in her windows and documenting everything she does in her own home. None of you would want a gossip, or worse, an author intent on writing a book about you, living next door to you. We're all Americans, and we must remember that people have a right to peace of mind in their own home and privacy.

June 1, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  7. Charlie Brown

"The fact is I would be living in this house if the Palins lived on the moon."

But they have been!

June 1, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  8. Ted

Sarah, if you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen.

June 1, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  9. Sharon

Sarah, would you please stop already? How do you expect to ever be taken seriously?

June 1, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  10. ToughLove

Liberals can be such woman-haters when the woman in question doesn't line up and kiss their butts! Hypocrites!

June 1, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  11. jean

everyone has a right to privacy and i certainly wouldn't want someone writing a book about me, living right next to me and neither would any of you.

June 1, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. thomashobbes

Alaska's top exports: gold, gas, fish and outrage

June 1, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  13. John

With that 14 foot fence I bet she can't see Russia from her house anymore.

June 1, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  14. Willow

There are critical and grave crisis taking place around the world today, which will impact on everyones lives...

But the only crisis to Sarah Palin....is Sarah Palins life!

What a mindless, self-absobed twit!!!!

Everytime she opens her mouth I say a prpayer of graitutude that she is NOT in the White House or anywhere near national politics!!!!!!!

June 1, 2010 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  15. Carol

Hilarious that she crafted a statement saying she did not promote hatred. That is all she has done with her lies. I guess she is stupid enough to think that other people have not seen it firsthand!

June 1, 2010 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  16. Rob Johnson

My God, and people think Obama has a thin skin!

Palin couldn't handle one day of being President. If she thinks the media scrutiny she is under now is too much to take, she should do herself, her family and the world a favor and never, ever run for elected office again.

June 1, 2010 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  17. Martin

She's always the victim!

June 1, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  18. Bill

I'm not a Palin fan AT ALL... but someone writing a book about her living right next door...??? This is a bit over the top.

June 1, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  19. Carol

If she does not have anything to hide, she should not bark so loud!

June 1, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  20. Craig

What is it that they are trying to hide behind a 14 foot fence. That is a concern. Ms Palin should not be a significant participant in today's policitical world. She is not qualified to be the dog catcher. She quits or loses everything she attempts. Please go back and hide behind that 14 foot fence.

June 1, 2010 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  21. Mike from Seattle

I guess this rules out any neighborhood barbeques...

June 1, 2010 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  22. Brad Plows

What I love about Sarah the most is the way she exposes the world to
    the true nature of the left. They complain about Palin yet they still allow
    that nitwit Pelosi to be speaker. That's duality. The left flocks to SP like
    months to a flame.

June 1, 2010 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. Mbiggmiike

I haven't heard her mention offshore drilling in awhile. So now a 14' fence and Joe McGinniss is what she will use to stay in the media. She is just sad!

June 1, 2010 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  24. Discernment

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

The "DRILL-BABY-DRILL" lipstick wearing pit-bull Sarah Palin campaigned and pressed President Obama and the rest of America to drill for oil any "any cost".

So why is Sarah Palin concerned about a journalist living next door at a time like this? Many gulf state citizens voted for Sarah in 2008 because they bought into her "drill baby, drill" mantra. Now that "drill baby, drill" has backfired, Sarah's biggest concern is an old journalist living next door.

THE GULF STATES NEED YOUR HELP SARAH! WHERE ARE YOU?

June 1, 2010 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  25. Mike S

Let's see, she's a Fox News contributor, she love the Tea Party podiums, yet she has the audacity to complain on the mainstream media... Last time I checked, Fox News and the rest of News Corp. is a major part of the main stream media. People will forget her and not care about her if she simply shut up. If she really wants peace and quiet, she should really start with her own mouth.

June 1, 2010 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |