June 1st, 2010

Palin targets NBC over McGinniss interview

Palin is taking aim at NBC for their recent interview of Joe McGinniss.
Palin is taking aim at NBC for their recent interview of Joe McGinniss.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin is taking aim at NBC over the network's interview Tuesday with Joe McGinniss, the journalist who is writing a book about the former Alaska governor and currently renting the home next door to her.

Calling NBC's actions the "most recent illustration of the untrustworthiness of America's mainstream media," Palin criticizes the network on her Facebook page for not including statements she and her husband, Todd, had provided ahead of the segment.

"We were glad to provide a statement and appreciated NBC's promise to run it," Palin wrote in the post Tuesday. "Todd and I both crafted the statement very carefully because our new neighbor has taken to accusing us of 'inciting hatred' – a charge which we obviously take very seriously … But there was just one problem: NBC broke their promise and didn't run our statements after all."

McGinniss, who previously authored a largely-critical portrayal of Palin for the now-defunct Portfolio Magazine, moved into the Wasilla home last month, prompting the Palins to build a 14-foot fence separating the two properties.

In the nine-minute "Today Show" segment, McGinniss defended his decision to rent the home next door, saying it had more to do with the property's low rent than its proximity to the subject of his upcoming book.

"The fact is I would be living in this house if the Palin's lived on the moon. Fifteen hundred bucks a month for a house in Wasilla. I need to be in Wasilla to do my work," he told NBC's Matt Lauer. "I am not observing them at all. I am here to talk to people who have known them for 40 years in Wasilla."

McGinniss also took aim at Palin for recently posting a photograph of him on her Facebook page and suggesting he was spying on her family.

"Sarah hysterically puts up this Facebook page with all sort of ugly innuendo, which frankly is revolting the things she has caused people to say about me," he said. "I think this is probably a lesson for the American people of the power Sarah has to incite hatred and her willingness and readiness to do it."

McGinnis went on to compare Palin's tactics to those of the "Nazi troopers used in the 1930's."

In the statement, Palin claims NBC chose not run, the former vice presidential nominee says McGinniss "certainly has a right to live wherever he wants, but my family also has a right to expect privacy, and hopefully to enjoy peace this summer … the media sensationalizes the recent McGinniss' tactic so the public will tune in to whatever the latest episode is, always with ratings in mind, and that's unfortunate."

Palin also said that NBC provided "a lame excuse" for not airing her statement and promised to do so Wednesday.

UPDATE: A spokeswoman for the Today Show told CNN, "We were unable to run [the statements] this morning due to a timing issue."

Filed under: Joe McGinniss • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. TamarS

Keep Sarah Palin in the news. Every time she speaks her nonsenical blather people see her a little more deeply (as in she's not very deep)! She made McGinness' move next door public on her Facebook page. Why did she do that? Stupid woman. She causes her own problems and does not learn from them. What a mess she is.

June 1, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  2. Mike

Gee, was it written on your hand by any chance?

June 1, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Untrustworthiness. Now that's a word. Next thing you know, we're going to hear words like truthiness and strategory.

June 1, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  4. Biloxi Oilbamma

Now, While I concur with some comments about Sarah Palin, mainly that it is without fail,laugh out loud amusing to think that "Non-Fans" like myself "Fear" her. She is a trifle of political entertainment, just like her intellectual superior, Bristol Palin.

However, I am not certain what this guy is trying to prove. He is just coming across as an antagonizing dork who is trying to heighten his profile a la Michael Moore antics.

It's rather dull if you ask me. Like a Dominick Dunne routine without the intelligence.

June 1, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  5. Jeff

"Good fences make for good neighbors"

-Robert Frost

June 1, 2010 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  6. juge

Oh "Lady" Get over yourself. BLECH

June 1, 2010 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  7. winglass

I hope you all realize that the reason you hate Sarah Palin is because that's what the mainstream media wants you to do. You're cattle.

June 1, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  8. Livin' the good life

W-AA-A-H-H-H!...-S-S-I-L-L-A! I guess "inciting hatred" is only allowed by the Palin/Tea-party group? No kidding!? I thought that it was not something that was proprietary and anyone could do it. Such is the stance of a bully. They can dish it out, but they can't take it. She thinks the world/US revolves around her...well, only in her, the tea-partiers and the crazy people who follow her...Beau Colby

June 1, 2010 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  9. Roy

Seems as if Palin hate's to have people criticize her, but she loves to criticize others, she is so FLAKE.......

June 1, 2010 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  10. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Sarah and Todd Palin are both illiterates and there is nothing either can say that makes any sense. Neither Sarah or Todd know nothing about the Constitution and if they aren't careful they are going to get all that free welfare money taken from them in a law suit.

June 1, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  11. F.O

Wow, I never knew Sarah expects to dictate what the media should or should not run about her. I am not sure, seeking her comments meant it had to be run. That sounds like some dictetorial tendencies to me– I may be mistaken.

June 1, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  12. Luke

Sarah said, "...most recent illustration of the untrustworthiness of America's mainstream media".

Where exactly do you work again, Sarah?

June 1, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  13. co

She started it, by posting on facebook, for all things! And, this is the lady who could of been our country's vice president! She has thousands of wolfs killed, she leaves office, she points fingers, and now puts this on facebook. She just wants to be in the public eye...
    She needs to stay behind her new fence.

June 1, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  14. Livin' the good life

Oh yeah,...and by the way...the interview WAS NOT ABOUT HER. It was about their neighbor. Maybe she should "QUIT her mortgage" and MOVE to Russia. (It's only one look away and "next door"!)...Beau Colby

June 1, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  15. JON

nbc and the media are the mouth pice, and the communist think tank of our time. i grew up in the cold war and did not understand why the russians were not the wiser to the communist tactics, and in adulthood here we are. i have cut the cable, and will turn off the tv to avoid stupid thinking for me.

June 1, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  16. harleydavidson

Palin trusted NBC? This is the same network that brought you the fiasco between Leno and O'Brien.

June 1, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  17. Get A Grip

This guy is a class A jerk and I bet his book is a major flop.

June 1, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  18. FLEXX

Someone should Blast This pathetic MORON Palin , INTO ORBIT!!!...and stay there!!!

June 1, 2010 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  19. wbbgjr

Just asking, would you guys be upset if someone writing a book about you moved next to you? A guy who had previously written nasty things about you? Forget the liberal vs conservative thing. You guys can't understand why she would be upset? You believe the guy really moved there because that was the best place he could find? Are we all that naive?

June 1, 2010 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  20. Greg

I'm so glad that S.P. is still in the news....it assures our country that Democrats will continue to dominate the elections.

June 1, 2010 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  21. Sean

Maybe he can move into the house on the other side, and then into the one behind her, so she can build walls all around herself and WE WON'T HAVE TO SEE OR HEAR FROM HER ANYMORE !!!

June 1, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  22. ody

if you don't like it, why don't you do an interview, ms. palin -

June 1, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  23. Susie

This women needs to build a 14ft fence round her house and then stay at home. We all need protecting from this lunatic.
    Go home Sarah

June 1, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  24. Nate from Atlanta

It's a free country. Palin, a conservative, should know that better than anyone.

June 1, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  25. myaileyus

I'm no fan of Palin but just how much harrassment do we allow the press to impose on people? Shouldn't investigative reporting be restricted to their public actions and not prying into their private lives?

I think we need to look at restricting freedom of the press similar to the restrictions on freedom of speech (i.e. you can't yell fire in a crowded area when there is no fire). If you publish it, it should be factual. Any fact is fair game. Why is libel ok if it is about a public figure?

I've come to the point where I not only cannot trust our politicians, I can't trust the media to give me the facts. Since when is some reporter's opinion news? Since when is the average Joe's opinion news?

June 1, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |