June 3rd, 2010

Larry Craig falls victim to the Daily Show

(CNN) – Former Idaho Sen. Larry Craig is the latest politician to experience firsthand the pitfalls of granting an interview to Comedy Central's The Daily Show.

The Idaho Republican did not run for reelection in 2008 following his 2007 guiltily plea for disorderly conduct in an airport restroom. Craig, who is married, was accused by an undercover police officer of soliciting sex in the men's restroom at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport. A later effort by Craig to withdraw his guilty plea was rejected by the Minnesota Court of Appeals.

Daily Show correspondent John Oliver said that Craig agreed to sit down for the interview as long as he was not asked about the incident. But in a story that aired Wednesday, Craig could not escape talk of airports.

"What was your favorite perk in your time in the Senate?" Oliver asked the former senator.
"When I was rushing to National Airport to catch a plane to Idaho, because I became a very aggressive commuter, I came back to my state a lot, that parking slot at National Airport to me was a big perk," a smiling Craig said.

"There aren't a lot of perks left," he cluelessly continued. "I don't have to rack up three-quarters of a million miles of air travel to stay involved helping citizens do certain things they need done."

The former senator also said he no longer missed his days in the Senate, but had difficulty adjusting to life as a private citizen at first.

"In the first couple of months, every time I'd have that feeling, I'd run, lay down on the couch, cover myself up with a blanket, take deep breaths and it would pass."

Filed under: Larry Craig • Popular Posts
  1. thenine9

Sad guy, lies to himself and others.

June 3, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. Dave

Something the left seems to never realize: no one watches the Daily Show. The ratings are horrible.

The only thing people watch with great ratings on Comedy Central is South Park

June 3, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  3. Alex

My only problem with Craig is that he just refuses to admit he's gay. It's been an open secret in Idaho for decades. He was a good senator, and I was so proud of him for (initially) standing against that odious Patriot Act.

June 3, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. really livin

There are more hypocrits in Idaho than potatoes.

June 3, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Dj

Good on him to do the interview, I thought it was quite funny. I'm sure he knew what he was getting himself into, good job Craig!

June 3, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. GI Joe

Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay

Just admit it – we're not prejudiced any longer (ONLY the hypocrits in the GOP are left to educate).

Maybe in a decade or two – when the old white southern hypocrits are gone – this country can move forward. I certainly hope so.

June 3, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Jayne

What a pathetic moron ! Kudos to the Daily Show, the best channel.

June 3, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  8. TO

Idaho, this is who you voted for? a perp. a spoon? a dipper? ha ha ha alt the way to the stall

June 3, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. Jeff Spangler

"Every time I have that feeling" I just make sure no one is looking and ...

June 3, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  10. jeff jackson, alabama

Give the perv a break. He's just the Republican
    party's version of Barney Frank.

June 3, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  11. Eric in Indiana

Seriously CNN?? This article title makes it sound like something evil or sinister happened on the Daily Show last night. I watched this episode and thought it was hilarious how Larry Craig was conducting the interview. It appeared to me that he was delighting in torturing John Oliver. He danced all around the issue that they were not allowed to talk about. Maybe I just missed the "Victim" portion of the interview.

June 3, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  12. Evan

Way to distort the facts CNN. When Craig made the comment about covering himself up with a blanket and taking deep breaths, he was referring to a tactic he used to help overcome the urge to have a cigarette while quitting smoking.

Sure this isn't some world changing story, its about a fake new show, but when you view other articles posted on your website in the same light, it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth (something that Larry Craig is more than familiar with).

Have some journalistic integrity and don't grossly take statements out of context. That is Jon Stewart's job and he is much better at it than you.

June 3, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. Deb

Only in America.

June 3, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. BeverlyNC

Another selfish, self-centered Republican who committed adultery and only misses his Senate perks

I thought he was elected to serve the People – guess like the rest of the Republican Party – he cares nothing about the American people and our working families. As long as they keep their perks, free govt run healthcare, and sit around and do NOTHING but criticize a very successful President who is delivering SOLUTIONS for our nation.

Republicans only protect their large arrogant corporations like BP and could care less what happens to the middle class workers. Let's get the Republicans out of office and bring in real leaders who want to help restore our country. The old white men GOP can go get a job with Cheney's oil companies or the health industry or the banks who have bought their votes for years.

It's time for the People to come first!

June 3, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. ?

I can't tell if his comments are sarcastic or serious. He wouldn't mention his own scandal if it wasn't done in a sarcastic fashion, would he? Hard to believe anyone would lack that much common sense...

June 3, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |