June 5th, 2010

Biden drenched by grandkids, Rahm Emanuel

Biden couldn't escape getting drenched by squirt guns Saturday afternoon. (Sam Feist/CNN)

Washington (CNN) - Joe Biden came under friendy fire during a summer-kickoff barbeque at the vice president's residence Saturday.

During the event for White House reporters and their families, the president's No. 2 was attacked with sqiurt guns by his grandchildren and by children of members of the press corps.

Soon, his wife, Dr. Jill Biden, and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel joined in on the drenching ambush.

As part of the event, a quartet of the U.S. Navy band played country music and the Bidens provided clowns, games, and a waterslide for kids.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Lighten up

Amazing bloggers can even make this politically divisive.

June 5, 2010 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. Stand up Chuck

Go have fun Joe. There's nothing much going on in the world right now.

June 5, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. pat

Good grief, will there never be something positive to you grumblers? Why can't you just smile and be glad some people had fun for awhile? As for reading it first, then being disappointed, how could you not know what kind of article it was after seeing the photo? You read it so you'd have something more to grumble about! I love it – it reminds me of when my family was young and when it was easier to have fun doing simple things. A day in the backyard or at the park meant something then. Hooray for the Bidens.

June 5, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  4. K

did he curse at his attackers?

June 5, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. Peter

Steve (the real one) June 5th, 2010 4:32 pm ET

Even after 500 + days of Obama.some liberals STILL have a Bush obsession! I thought you called yourselves PROGRESSIVES! As much as you still attempt to point fingers at the past, REGRESSIVES would be more like it! If you still can't help but hate, at least make you hate up to date!

Sorry Steve but the wrecking of our country and economy by bush and the Republican party still haunts the unemployed here so forgive us for still feeling pain from the 8 years of battering we got from the Bush and Republicans!

June 5, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  6. James

Give me a break, only the truly sick would find fault with this story. The Biden family are a great family and truly a normal group of folks. I think it was great of the Biden's to invite these folks to share in their party and I am glad the kids still feel they can do the kind of kid stuff you should find at such events in spite of the fact that their grandfather is the Vice President of the United States. Keep it up Joe we got your back buddy!

June 5, 2010 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  7. normajean

There have been only a few people in political life that I would love to have known or currently would like to know and Joe Biden is one of them. He seems like someone that is easy going,always good for a joke and someone you would always know was there for you if you needed him. Some of you don't like him but then you like people I don"t,like, so we're even.

June 5, 2010 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. CBR

It is great to read a story that brings a smile to my face. Here is a man who genuinely loves children and people. Bet everyone had fun and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon.

I wish people could just enjoy the story and leave the vitriolic comments out. What a nice change that would be.

June 5, 2010 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  9. tony

I think another photo showing the secret service wrestling the kid to the ground would have been funny.

June 5, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  10. tony

the real funny thing is how a simple fluff piece on the VP can generate so much hatred of the past and current administration. my comment would be if Bush did such a bad job, why is Obama following the exact same policies?

June 5, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. Noah

It's amazing how rude, angry people comment on every thread, no matter how innocent the story. It's very sad.

June 5, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  12. "ANNIE"

People : this could be a happy story if you all just would get off your soap-box for a minute ! We need happy stories just to breathe !! I'm so tired of mean, unhappy, stories. Let's give it a break . I want to smile again, even if it's just for a second. Stop trying to read between the lines - There is nothing there but happy children !! Leave at that !! People don't know how to be happy anymore - No trust in the world..... Very Sad ........

June 5, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  13. Fred

Precious

June 5, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  14. Robert Warner

V.P. Biden should have grabbed the garden hose and got even!

June 5, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  15. No goes

After reading the comments, I see why the story was in the political section. Yes, Bush is still hated, always will be. Cheer up, I'm sure there was a Tea Party somewhere.

June 5, 2010 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |