June 8th, 2010

Meek campaign gets a 'Magic' boost

Magic Johnson is lending a helping hand to Democrat Kendrick Meek.
Magic Johnson is lending a helping hand to Democrat Kendrick Meek.

(CNN) – Democratic Rep. Kendrick Meek of Florida is getting a campaign assist from basketball hall-of-famer Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

In an email to supporters, Johnson makes the case for endorsing Meek's Senate bid and offers to sweeten the deal for those who donate campaign contributions. Donors who make contributions of five dollars or more "will be automatically entered to win one of my signed basketballs," writes Johnson.

Recent polls suggest that Meek, a four-term congressman and the presumptive Democratic nominee, is trailing Republican turned Independent Gov. Charlie Crist and presumptive GOP nominee Marco Rubio, in a three way general election battle.

Filed under: 2010 • Florida • Kendrick Meek
  1. Get A Grip

Oblamer sure threw Democratic Rep. Kendrick Meek under the bus in favor of Gov. Charlie Chist.. Sure is nice to know Magic Johnson didn't.

June 8, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. ken

Good for him. I like the guy coz he works hard!

June 8, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  3. Monrob

I don't think he will win, but this is a decent, intelligent guy!

June 8, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. gt

magic is a,, has been ,,, meeks would of gotten more money if had labron or kobe... meeks is toast anyway,,,,..

June 8, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  5. Future expat

Meek is not going to win. Best to start supporting Crist NOW or else we'll be seeing DeMint Jr. aka Marco Rubio in the senate next year.

June 8, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  6. Bob

What ever it takes I guess-

June 8, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Tony

Magic Johnson is wasting his time. Meek might has well thow in the towel. Rubio WILL BE THE NEXT US SENATOR!!!

June 8, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  8. Wanda

WOW a football. Who cares what the issues are! A football!!!!!!
    Sad really sad.

June 8, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  9. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

I wouldn't pay $5 to get a hundred autographs from Magic. A nice guy, who unfortunately has a horrible disease, but he is no longer relevant.

June 8, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  10. Justin

KENDRICK MEEK ROCKS! I bet he now can
    possibly get more popular endorsements!!!!

June 8, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. greg morris in jacksonville, fl

Meeks for Senator!!!

Rubio will Fail.

June 8, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. John D

Hey Magic, let's see some and please dissapear!

June 8, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I think more Democrats will support Crist rather than Meeks because they don' really know him.

June 8, 2010 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. Johnny DC

Magic Johnson is a great role model. Except the alleged dozens of times he cheated on his wife and family. And the unsafe activity that landed him infected with a deadly disease.

Other than that, he's great.

Also, I enjoy the basic idea that the DNC in Florida is using gambling to raise funds. Try and explain to me how a raffle for a valuable prize isn't gambling.

June 8, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. ECUGrant

Someone needs to tell Athletes and Hollywood, that I care less about their political views than they do about my acting or athletic talents. If you need a celebrity to tell you who to vote for, then you probably shouldn't be voting in the first place.

June 8, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  16. Bob in PA

Not against helping a politician, but the Signed basketball seems like it should be against campaign laws.

June 8, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. patNY

This is the first time I've seen what Meeks looks like...he has no chance of winning in a state like Florida..its full of "good ole boys" racists.

June 8, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. good gosh

And this makes him a qualified candidate. Who gives a crap about a basketball?

June 8, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. Kosmo @ The Casual Observer

Hmm. I don't care about Florida politics, but I might buy one of these $5 raffle tickets.

June 8, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |