June 13th, 2010

Fiorina expresses regret for hot mic comment

'I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial,' Republican Senate candidate Carly Fiorina said Sunday.

(CNN) – Republican Senate hopeful Carly Fiorina expressed regret Sunday for a recent, unguarded comment about her rival's hair style that was caught on a live microphone as she prepped for a television interview last week.

"God, what is that hair?" Fiorina said of Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California. "So yesterday."

Related: Open mic catches Fiorina dig at Boxer

Appearing on "Fox News Sunday," Fiorina tried to move past the embarrassing moment.

"Well, I was quoting a friend of mine," Fiorina said, according to a transcript. "But look, I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial. And this is a very serious election year about serious issues."

But Fiorina did not directly respond Sunday when asked whether she'd called Boxer to apologize.

"You know, what I think I owe the voters is a commitment to stay focused on facts, on issues and on the things that really matter, and I will keep that commitment to the voters," the California Republican said.

On the issues, Fiorina said that her race against Boxer is about the economy, the need for job creation, and the proper and reach of the federal government.

"We're not just going through tough economic times in California. We are destroying jobs. And we're destroying them because of a government that is too big, taxes that are too high, regulations that are too thick. So this election is about jobs, but it's also about out-of-control government.

"And the reason I am running for the Senate is because so much of the Senate's work impacts every family and every business in California."

In a separate appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," Fiorina sought to play up her outsider credentials during a midterm election year that some political observers see as an anti-incumbent, anti-Washington election year.

"I've never been in politics before. I've never run for office. But I think our founding fathers intended this to be a citizen government. It's what of, by and for the people means."

Fiorina added, "If I am fortunate enough to win this seat in November, it will be because the people of California send me to Washington, not the Republican Party. I am my own person, and I will continue to be my own person."

Two recent nonpartisan polls conducted before Fiorina secured the GOP nomination both suggested that Boxer is leading Fiorina by single digits in a general election matchup.

Both polls also indicated that Fiorina is within striking distance of the Democratic incumbent, with roughly 13 percent of those surveyed in each poll saying they had not decided who they would support in November.

Filed under: 2010 • Barbara Boxer • California • Carly Fiorina • Popular Posts
  1. aproudcitizen

well she doesn't say what millions of other women don't.. what is the big deal.. lol

June 13, 2010 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. Larry

Fiorina has the depth of a puddle.

California, don't you have enough problems already?

June 13, 2010 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  3. Louisiana Man

"Mirror , Mirror on the wall-who has the ugliest hair do of all

Thoust hast oh 'has been diva' of the republican party

Best look at your reflection before throwing stones, OH hag of the rich.

June 13, 2010 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  4. Hilary

Fiorina is a disgusting greedy CEO Republican who thinks it's ok for the government to stand aside while citizens lose jobs, lose homes, lose health care, and starve. With her ties to corporate industry, she will try to further dismantle democratic society. Get CEOs out of government!

June 13, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  5. BB

People are not talking about something petty or superficial. They are talking about your rude demeanor and unpleasant personality in making such petty and superficial comments about someone behind their back. You are running for the Senate, not High School Class President. Please try to be more mature.

June 13, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. Jen

Thank you, Carly, for feeding into stereotypes about women. You are running for office, and you COMMENT on another woman's HAIR??? Then you blatantly LIE and say you were repeating something you had heard? You set women back 10 years with your imbecilic, gossipy and catty comment. Hey, since you've already muddied the waters, why not get down into the mud with you- you are certainly no beauty. That you could allow yourself to comment on someone else's appearance indicates to me that your perception of reality is skewed, and perhaps you are not the correct candidate to deal with the harsh realities of our times.

June 13, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. in Cali

Carly Fiorina: focused on the REAL issues, like hair. Good job, thanks for making women look competent enough to hold elected office.

Barbara Boxer has my vote. I don't care what her hair looks like, she can get the job done, without being catty.

June 13, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  8. Johnny Thrill

I'm sorry, Clary Fiorina shhouldn't talk about the looks of anyone. She looks like a man.

In addition, Clary Fiorina did absolutely nothing at HP. The company actually lost its direction under her. Look at the numbers during her term. Lost revenues, lost income and sub-standard products relative to the history of products produced before she became CEO.

So, Carl (man looking) please don't sound like a petty high school girl if you're going to run for office. A childish feminist who thinks she did better than a man at HP. The facts prove differently.

June 13, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  9. Publius Novus

I guess that means Fiorina thinks her own hair is "so today." Just about what I'd expect from her.

June 13, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. Truthlovingman

She's obviously applying the corporate rules of blame shifing here - saying she was quoting a friend. Come on! If this is her knee-jerk reaction to this issue, why do people think she has the character for public office? She got caught revealing her superficial and mean spirited competiveness, and lying after the fact is not going to help her either.

June 13, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. jimbo

Fiorina berates her opponents hair as "so yesterday" but she wants to represent "the people." How can she represent everyone when we are all a bit different. Some are living in yesterday others are trying to live at the cutting edge and the rest are somewhere in between.

Fiorina can be dropped into that stereotypical group I call the self appointed A-listers. They are the people who group up in select snobby packs of people who look down on everyone who isn't a member of their cliques. She is truly an elitist who is so "not yesterday."

June 13, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. Republicans Are The American Taliban

She regrets that the mic was on...

June 13, 2010 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  13. mary t

Ms.Fiorina: From one woman to another and with all due respect....I am shamed by your comments. What were you thinking...mary

June 13, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. Riley

This is a NON-ISSUE. The big issue is that Barbara Boxer has been in the senate for far too long. She needs to take a hike.

June 13, 2010 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  15. Ruby Gumshoe

Fiorina must have brass huevos tobe dishing on someone else's hair. This old broad's best years are far behind her.

June 13, 2010 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  16. DENNA

LOL. I can't believe SHE was laughing at Barbara Boxer's hair. Seriously Carly, did you even look at your own hair. You are a disgrace to women in politics. Stick to the issues and forget the dumb fluff!

June 13, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  17. John

Fiorina is bad news

June 13, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  18. CTSadler

She's the last person who should be talking about hair.

June 13, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  19. Broadpath

She was quoting a friend. God damn these politicians who think we are fools. Carly was forced out of HP because she brought the company to her knees. Now she can't even navigate around an open mic. Sounds like exactly the type of idiot Republicans will vote for.

June 13, 2010 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  20. Darth Vadik, CA

I regret to inform Carly that she has no chance in Hell of beating Boxer. Well actually I don't, I take great joy in crushing evil peoples dreams of grandeur.

Maybe the people in India will vote for her since she took all the HP California jobs and sent them to India.

June 13, 2010 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  21. Broadpath

She was quoting a friend. God damn these politicians who think we are fools. Carly was forced out of HP because she brought the company to its knees. Now she can't even navigate around an open mic. Sounds like exactly the type of idiot Republicans will vote for.

June 13, 2010 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  22. larry

she never called Boxer to apologize......this will be remembered

June 13, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  23. Jeff Spangler

A dykish babe who was fired for trashing HP is hardly in a position to diss her opponent's hair, or represent citizens in Congress.

June 13, 2010 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  24. AnneP

Carly, your shallowness showed loud and clear. My only hope is that those who were nuts enough to vote for you in the first place can see through the corporate veneer. You were fired from HP so I can't understand why anyone would vote for you at all. You can't successfully manage a company and we're suppose to entrust you making decisions that affect the people of CA? I think not; most of us have our eyes open and are not impressed.

June 13, 2010 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  25. Louis in Los Angeles

Cancer survivor or not, such personal attacks are niether warrented or deserving of the California electorate. It just shows you her lack of character. But then again what do you expect from yet another nutjob that the Queen of Nuts herself Sarah Palin has openly endoresed?

June 13, 2010 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |