June 13th, 2010

Fiorina expresses regret for hot mic comment

'I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial,' Republican Senate candidate Carly Fiorina said Sunday.

(CNN) – Republican Senate hopeful Carly Fiorina expressed regret Sunday for a recent, unguarded comment about her rival's hair style that was caught on a live microphone as she prepped for a television interview last week.

"God, what is that hair?" Fiorina said of Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California. "So yesterday."

Related: Open mic catches Fiorina dig at Boxer

Appearing on "Fox News Sunday," Fiorina tried to move past the embarrassing moment.

"Well, I was quoting a friend of mine," Fiorina said, according to a transcript. "But look, I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial. And this is a very serious election year about serious issues."

But Fiorina did not directly respond Sunday when asked whether she'd called Boxer to apologize.

"You know, what I think I owe the voters is a commitment to stay focused on facts, on issues and on the things that really matter, and I will keep that commitment to the voters," the California Republican said.

On the issues, Fiorina said that her race against Boxer is about the economy, the need for job creation, and the proper and reach of the federal government.

"We're not just going through tough economic times in California. We are destroying jobs. And we're destroying them because of a government that is too big, taxes that are too high, regulations that are too thick. So this election is about jobs, but it's also about out-of-control government.

"And the reason I am running for the Senate is because so much of the Senate's work impacts every family and every business in California."

In a separate appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," Fiorina sought to play up her outsider credentials during a midterm election year that some political observers see as an anti-incumbent, anti-Washington election year.

"I've never been in politics before. I've never run for office. But I think our founding fathers intended this to be a citizen government. It's what of, by and for the people means."

Fiorina added, "If I am fortunate enough to win this seat in November, it will be because the people of California send me to Washington, not the Republican Party. I am my own person, and I will continue to be my own person."

Two recent nonpartisan polls conducted before Fiorina secured the GOP nomination both suggested that Boxer is leading Fiorina by single digits in a general election matchup.

Both polls also indicated that Fiorina is within striking distance of the Democratic incumbent, with roughly 13 percent of those surveyed in each poll saying they had not decided who they would support in November.

Filed under: 2010 • Barbara Boxer • California • Carly Fiorina • Popular Posts
  1. jo an

Florina....the 'Founding Father's ' couldn't have been thinking of someone who ran a company in the ground and behaves like an idiot...Please say it isn't so!!!

June 13, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  2. Patrick A

I would tell her to shove that apology where the sun don,t shine.

June 13, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  3. Scott R.

The comment was true and I liked it. Keep it up!

June 13, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  4. Carla

That is funny...because I was thinking the SAME thing about that dead muskrat pelt on your head...lol

June 13, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  5. Francisco Cardenas

Barbara Boxer can afford the "hairy comment" since she will be re-elected in November. Fiorina and Whitman are just not a good fit for California.

June 13, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  6. JES

Isthis all the press can talk about.

Boxer needs to be replaced like most of the people we have in Washington.

Term limits, balance budget, and many more problems that we have.

Who cares about some nothing like Boxer and her hair.

Give me a breat CNN start reporting the news.

June 13, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  7. Leslie

Carly Fiorina could use a makeover herself in more ways than one, especially regarding her political ideals.

June 13, 2010 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  8. doofus

rofl. appologizing for calling someone on their oldschool wigjam. yeay politics!

June 13, 2010 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  9. constitutionalpatriot

wow this is really not news. Hopefully Boxer, a symbol of the failed and unsusainable status quo in Washington is on her way out though. Her thoroughly failed ideas of yesterday will not bring the change President Obama promised to fruition. Bye bye Boxer guess in November you will realize you worked for us and we are not your subjects, but rather your employer! We are preparing your pink slip "senator"!

June 13, 2010 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. billybob 'n NC

"I was quoting a friend of mine."

Oh, she will be perfect for Washington; she already has the "blame game " down. Now, if she can just learn to say, "NO."

June 13, 2010 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  11. librarian

If I had Ms. Fiorina's hairdo I would bury my head in a big brown bag.

June 13, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  12. Renea

Here we go again say it isnt so! you meant it. it was already in your heart to say it, you are just sorr you got caught.

June 13, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  13. Petty To You

Petty and superficial was the comment on the hair. If she wants serious, not only do not make such comments, but do not think such petty thoughts in the first place.

June 13, 2010 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  14. vegage

She said to Barbara what is that hair, I would say to her what are those teeth? With all the money she has I really do not understand why she has so ugly teeth, she needs bracers urgently.

June 13, 2010 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  15. Rhea

She should be more depressed about what she said on "Meet the Press" today. she is not very intelligent and apparently has not really done the homework. she is better at marketing herself than actually getting things done. remind you of another repub?? Bush?? he pretty much failed at everything before he became President..just like her. She is too full of herself and has no real substance. Her "hair" comment is about as much as you are going to get from her... on any of the real issues she just really doesn't have a clue, and she apparently does not understand. Don't fall for it Cali...it's a great state and you need great people to represent you. Not her!!!! P.S. I don't like her hair!!! ha ha ha

June 13, 2010 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  16. g

If I was Fiorina I wouldn't be talking about someone else's hair when she is walking around with what looks to be a toupee on her head.

June 13, 2010 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  17. Willy Brown

You shouldn’t apologize. The democrats will say far worst things about you and they never apologize. Boxer is a bad hair experience in congress.

June 13, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  18. $50

Meow! Kitty likes to scratch!

June 13, 2010 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  19. Karen Baker

Carly Fiorina is totally arrogant and absolutely unqualified to run for the Senate.

June 13, 2010 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  20. Dan

Someone needs to tell her George Clooney's on the phone and he wants his barber back...

June 13, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  21. marie from michigan

With all the issues facing voters in California, how can she even notice her opponent's hairstyle? Maybe she wasn't paying attention either when H-P was tanking under her leadership.

She reminds me of Sarah Palin ... knows the hot-button phrases and tries to appear folksy, but what has she really done to qualify her for a Senate seat? She made lots of money for herself, but what about those 28,000 people she laid off so she could ship their jobs overseas?

BTW, Carly ... get a new hairdresser – that style you're sporting is pathetic ... looks like you chopped it off yourself.

June 13, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  22. Anna

Do we really want someone in the Senate who plays into the worst stereotypes about women, and is incapable of apologizing to a rival? I've found that one of the great qualities in a leader is the ability to eat humble pie every now and then...and until she calls Boxer she hasn't truly done that.

June 13, 2010 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  23. Hawk in Texas

How can anyone vote for people like her? how about her butch hair cut. she said it and is now saying that she was quoting a friend. now we find out that she is also a liar. every one has a right to be ugly, but she abuses it.

June 13, 2010 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Her hair is nothing to speak good about herself. She nees a new do lherserlf.

June 13, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  25. WAvoter

as a cancer survivor, she should be lucky she still has hair of her own!

June 13, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |