June 13th, 2010

Fiorina expresses regret for hot mic comment

'I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial,' Republican Senate candidate Carly Fiorina said Sunday.

(CNN) – Republican Senate hopeful Carly Fiorina expressed regret Sunday for a recent, unguarded comment about her rival's hair style that was caught on a live microphone as she prepped for a television interview last week.

"God, what is that hair?" Fiorina said of Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California. "So yesterday."

Related: Open mic catches Fiorina dig at Boxer

Appearing on "Fox News Sunday," Fiorina tried to move past the embarrassing moment.

"Well, I was quoting a friend of mine," Fiorina said, according to a transcript. "But look, I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial. And this is a very serious election year about serious issues."

But Fiorina did not directly respond Sunday when asked whether she'd called Boxer to apologize.

"You know, what I think I owe the voters is a commitment to stay focused on facts, on issues and on the things that really matter, and I will keep that commitment to the voters," the California Republican said.

On the issues, Fiorina said that her race against Boxer is about the economy, the need for job creation, and the proper and reach of the federal government.

"We're not just going through tough economic times in California. We are destroying jobs. And we're destroying them because of a government that is too big, taxes that are too high, regulations that are too thick. So this election is about jobs, but it's also about out-of-control government.

"And the reason I am running for the Senate is because so much of the Senate's work impacts every family and every business in California."

In a separate appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," Fiorina sought to play up her outsider credentials during a midterm election year that some political observers see as an anti-incumbent, anti-Washington election year.

"I've never been in politics before. I've never run for office. But I think our founding fathers intended this to be a citizen government. It's what of, by and for the people means."

Fiorina added, "If I am fortunate enough to win this seat in November, it will be because the people of California send me to Washington, not the Republican Party. I am my own person, and I will continue to be my own person."

Two recent nonpartisan polls conducted before Fiorina secured the GOP nomination both suggested that Boxer is leading Fiorina by single digits in a general election matchup.

Both polls also indicated that Fiorina is within striking distance of the Democratic incumbent, with roughly 13 percent of those surveyed in each poll saying they had not decided who they would support in November.

Filed under: 2010 • Barbara Boxer • California • Carly Fiorina • Popular Posts
  1. Wolfy

When Fiorina loses she will be "so yesterday." Corporate-wise, she already is.

June 13, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  2. David

Yeah, right...she regrets it...many days later...just not quite enough to warrant an apology...and of course...she was simply "quoting a friend"...if you actually believe that...

June 13, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  3. Pragmatic

"Well, I was quoting a friend of mine," Fiorina said, according to a transcript. " .... already blaming someone else? Typical republican!

She's not sorry – just sorry she got caught being catty – so yesterday!

June 13, 2010 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  4. There's a shock...

"I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial"... Call it like it is – you were the one talking petty and superficial, bashing your opponents hair when there are critical issues at stake. Don't blame it on the public – grow a pair and own it, Carly.

June 13, 2010 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  5. mdn

I don't think she is one to comment about bad hair! She is right to say that she, "owe's voters a commitment to stay focused on facts, on issues and on things that really matter..." Unfortunately what she does is to be catty and talk about her opponents hair (and prom dress...given the chance).

June 13, 2010 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  6. cspurgeon

What a snarkey witch. Thats what we need to add to an already broken congress. UGH!

June 13, 2010 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  7. mama panda

Fiorina is complaining about Boxer's hair? When hers looks like a bad imitation of a 1920s flapper?

June 13, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  8. Fed Up!

Carly is a hard-nosed business executive. Don't for a minute believe that there is any sincerity whatsoever in her "apology."

What voters need to review is Fiorina's tenture at Hewlet-Packard and the circumstances of her departure.

Then ask yourselves if this is the kind of person you want to represent California? Because there is no chance that she has seen the error of her ways.

June 13, 2010 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  9. Jacob Mc

If that picture is indicative of Fiorina's haircut, then she really needs to sell all of her stones and put up some drapes in her glass house.

June 13, 2010 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  10. Vonnie Gross

ell...look who's talking.....in the video she unconsciously pats her own hair on the left side.Is she blind to her own sqaushed-cabbage coiff??She is too funny looking to talk about anyone's appearance.But she is a typical mean spirited Republican with an agenda.

June 13, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  11. tom

If the hair fits then so does the comment.

June 13, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  12. todd

Carly do not go soft on these poeple. Go for the throat, take no prisoners!

June 13, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  13. jbb

Looks to me like it's the pot calling the kettle black. She sure has no room to talk.

June 13, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  14. Jim in St. Johns, FL

and we all know the "mainstream media" loves the petty and superficial.

They still support Obama don't they?

June 13, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  15. E M Grebe

Has Fiorina looked in a mirror at her own mop – it's very unattractive??!!

June 13, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  16. btap

She mocked someone's hair?

Glass Houses...

June 13, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  17. Corey, Maryland

I don't Ms. Fiorina has any room to make fun of anyones hair considering hers looks like a wet cat with some sort of skin condition. Shut your mouth and stick to the real issues......

June 13, 2010 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  18. nathan

Umm Carly, while we're on the subject of hair...are you kidding with that 'do?

June 13, 2010 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  19. Lance

This is newsworthy? And we're supposed to think that this is something we should take into account in a senatorial race? Let's see.... CNN, a liberal/Democratic organization, is saying it is... and Fiorina is a Republican... okay, I get it. The kingmakers are at it again.

June 13, 2010 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  20. just J

Im so pick of Republicans making stupid comments then say im sorry True colors never change

June 13, 2010 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  21. Vonnie Gross

I love her comment on why she regrets having made the remark "it gave people something petty and superficial to talk about" like HER!

June 13, 2010 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  22. Justin

I don't know why she'd even say that, when she herself has cancer and lost her hair!

June 13, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  23. Jonesey

She was quoting a friend? Wow... amazing. She can't even be accountable when blatantly getting caught making a grade school catty remark about someone's appearance. Perhaps this example of side-stepping is a warning sign for "important issues" in a position of power. Liar, liar...

June 13, 2010 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  24. Donald Fayetteville, NC

She needs to take good look in the mirror at herself.
    A friend's observation? How stupid do you think people are? Your screwed up admit it and move it!

June 13, 2010 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  25. shannon

Fiorina came off as a school girl, allowing looks to be her format.

June 13, 2010 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |