June 13th, 2010

Fiorina expresses regret for hot mic comment

'I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial,' Republican Senate candidate Carly Fiorina said Sunday.

(CNN) – Republican Senate hopeful Carly Fiorina expressed regret Sunday for a recent, unguarded comment about her rival's hair style that was caught on a live microphone as she prepped for a television interview last week.

"God, what is that hair?" Fiorina said of Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California. "So yesterday."

Related: Open mic catches Fiorina dig at Boxer

Appearing on "Fox News Sunday," Fiorina tried to move past the embarrassing moment.

"Well, I was quoting a friend of mine," Fiorina said, according to a transcript. "But look, I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial. And this is a very serious election year about serious issues."

But Fiorina did not directly respond Sunday when asked whether she'd called Boxer to apologize.

"You know, what I think I owe the voters is a commitment to stay focused on facts, on issues and on the things that really matter, and I will keep that commitment to the voters," the California Republican said.

On the issues, Fiorina said that her race against Boxer is about the economy, the need for job creation, and the proper and reach of the federal government.

"We're not just going through tough economic times in California. We are destroying jobs. And we're destroying them because of a government that is too big, taxes that are too high, regulations that are too thick. So this election is about jobs, but it's also about out-of-control government.

"And the reason I am running for the Senate is because so much of the Senate's work impacts every family and every business in California."

In a separate appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," Fiorina sought to play up her outsider credentials during a midterm election year that some political observers see as an anti-incumbent, anti-Washington election year.

"I've never been in politics before. I've never run for office. But I think our founding fathers intended this to be a citizen government. It's what of, by and for the people means."

Fiorina added, "If I am fortunate enough to win this seat in November, it will be because the people of California send me to Washington, not the Republican Party. I am my own person, and I will continue to be my own person."

Two recent nonpartisan polls conducted before Fiorina secured the GOP nomination both suggested that Boxer is leading Fiorina by single digits in a general election matchup.

Both polls also indicated that Fiorina is within striking distance of the Democratic incumbent, with roughly 13 percent of those surveyed in each poll saying they had not decided who they would support in November.

Filed under: 2010 • Barbara Boxer • California • Carly Fiorina • Popular Posts
  1. No Name

Her hair style is "so yesterday" what are you 15?

June 13, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  2. Jab

She is awfully catty for someone who has ran a company. It is time for her to grow up and act like an adult.

June 13, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  3. Molly Weasley

Why are all Republicans pathologically unable to say the words, "I'm sorry"? And I don't mean the weasel words, "I'm sorry if I offended anyone."

You do something wrong or something stupid, apologize. We all learned it as kids. No one things the better of you because you're not saying sorry. Instead, voters just think you're a jerk.

June 13, 2010 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. Jim Higgins

What's this nonsense she gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial – she's the one who made the petty and superficial wisecrack. And there was no apology, just a quick two-step and a diversion. Politics as usual.

June 13, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  5. Christine

WOW CNN.com....this is so very important to report. Actually I think this report belonged in the National Enquirer type newspapers, but that is how you people are reporting things now, really sad how you have gone down hill. I will keep checking in here because I have to be aware of WHAT you are reporting!

June 13, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  6. ATL Guy

If anything, her comments were infantile and beyond immature. It also reflects the general level of mediocrity coming from the Republican field: no real ideas or solutions for the problems we face. All we get from them is petty yelling and insults.

June 13, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  7. john

I could say the same about her hair.

June 13, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  8. Joe

OK, let's not talk about something petty and superficial. How about you tell us why you terminated the employment of some 30,000 people when you were CEO and how that makes you an expert on creating more jobs? Hmmmm?

June 13, 2010 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  9. mike

Yeah, Boxer is vulnerable to a point but Fiornina, at HP, outsourced at least 18,000 US jobs to India and China. That was probably great for HP's bottom line but itt will be hard to convonce California voters that she is for creating jobs when all she did at HP was eliminate them.

June 13, 2010 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  10. tried to move past the embarrassing moment.

"Well, I was quoting a friend of mine"

WHAT?

pay attention voters, when she is caught with her own words, she quickly tries to lie even on the smallest thing, she will not own up to words coming out of her mouth

you said, your words, don't try this, it makes you look, if it is possible, EVEN WORSE

Now you have told lies, blatant lies over the smallest thought about someone's hair

you have become from annoying you have progressed to pitiful

you are a sad human being that brought down HP, BUT if you want to waste GOPer money I'm all for it, less money for them to put on a viable canidate

June 13, 2010 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  11. Paul

This is the only part that we saw! Don't you think that she has more in absence of microphone? Every woman out there is beautiful and gift from God. To hear this type of comments from Carly Fiorina is not surprising beacause she thinks that money is everything and she call insult as she wants and will buy the election...

June 13, 2010 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. Dale

Normal Repub. blaming others for their mistake nothing new there, but we do now realize the Fiorina is "petty and Superficial".

June 13, 2010 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  13. Sascha

Carly Fiorina regrets her petty, brainless comment. I regret Carly Fiorina. I think we can put this issue to bed now.

June 13, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. Christine

In fact, I bet you that if it had been Boxer who made the silly statement, it wouldn't even had made it to your news line. Yup, no bias here! That's a laugh!!

June 13, 2010 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  15. Expat American

“…this is a very serious election year about serious issues…"

If this is in fact the case, then why would Fiorina carry herself like some fat pimple-faced jaded junior high girl?

Men may have their faults, but at the very least, political discourse does not include commenting on each other’s hair.

Ridiculous. Let’s all go see ‘Sex and the City 2’, girls!

June 13, 2010 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  16. John J, IN

Just another conservative liar.

*yawwwn*

June 13, 2010 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  17. john

luckily we found out what her priorities are and where her attention is focused before the election...don't waste you vote on this petty woman!

June 13, 2010 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  18. Fulluptohere

Of course she gave people something petty and superficial to talk about, she herself said something petty and superficial. Then tried to downplay it like it was the medias fault she said it.

June 13, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  19. Jersey Wonderfool

First she left AT&T and then she was paid a handsome bribe to leave HP. It must have been superb oh so 80's hairstyle! She says there are lot of important issues but she comments on Boxer's hair! Now we know what is important to Fiorina – it's the HAIR!

June 13, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  20. Dieter Zerressen

Of course she does't apologize – Republicans never apologize – they just "want to move on". And what about the Republican theology of "personal responsibility"? That too never applies. She's blaming someone else for her cattiness. I hope Barbara Boxer makes a campaign commercial out of this petulant, childish, and boorish comment – I'll contribute to the cost of making that commercial.

June 13, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  21. jane

Didn't Fiorina do a terrible job at HP. Didn't she lose a lot of money for the corp & the shares dropped because of her?

June 13, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  22. TOTUS FOR PRESIDENT

What a non-issue! With all that's going on in the world today, like Obama's obsessive golfing amidst wars, enviro disasters, economic collapse, etc., you would think that there would be more important things for MSM and CNN to concern themselves with. Nah...

June 13, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  23. Eddie B.

She was quoting someone else? Give me a break. She already is a liar.

June 13, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. Wade in Alabama

It's not like FOX "snews" is going to press a Republican on an issue anyway. It's really not a big deal, but her butch hair cut isn't a winner, either.

June 13, 2010 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  25. Miriam

Her hair isn't great either.

June 13, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |