June 13th, 2010

Fiorina expresses regret for hot mic comment

'I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial,' Republican Senate candidate Carly Fiorina said Sunday.

(CNN) – Republican Senate hopeful Carly Fiorina expressed regret Sunday for a recent, unguarded comment about her rival's hair style that was caught on a live microphone as she prepped for a television interview last week.

"God, what is that hair?" Fiorina said of Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California. "So yesterday."

Related: Open mic catches Fiorina dig at Boxer

Appearing on "Fox News Sunday," Fiorina tried to move past the embarrassing moment.

"Well, I was quoting a friend of mine," Fiorina said, according to a transcript. "But look, I regret this whole situation. I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial. And this is a very serious election year about serious issues."

But Fiorina did not directly respond Sunday when asked whether she'd called Boxer to apologize.

"You know, what I think I owe the voters is a commitment to stay focused on facts, on issues and on the things that really matter, and I will keep that commitment to the voters," the California Republican said.

On the issues, Fiorina said that her race against Boxer is about the economy, the need for job creation, and the proper and reach of the federal government.

"We're not just going through tough economic times in California. We are destroying jobs. And we're destroying them because of a government that is too big, taxes that are too high, regulations that are too thick. So this election is about jobs, but it's also about out-of-control government.

"And the reason I am running for the Senate is because so much of the Senate's work impacts every family and every business in California."

In a separate appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," Fiorina sought to play up her outsider credentials during a midterm election year that some political observers see as an anti-incumbent, anti-Washington election year.

"I've never been in politics before. I've never run for office. But I think our founding fathers intended this to be a citizen government. It's what of, by and for the people means."

Fiorina added, "If I am fortunate enough to win this seat in November, it will be because the people of California send me to Washington, not the Republican Party. I am my own person, and I will continue to be my own person."

Two recent nonpartisan polls conducted before Fiorina secured the GOP nomination both suggested that Boxer is leading Fiorina by single digits in a general election matchup.

Both polls also indicated that Fiorina is within striking distance of the Democratic incumbent, with roughly 13 percent of those surveyed in each poll saying they had not decided who they would support in November.

Filed under: 2010 • Barbara Boxer • California • Carly Fiorina • Popular Posts
  1. Jacob

Carly is petty and superficial! and thank you for showing your true colors this early in the race!

she doesn't stand a chance in California!

June 13, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Bill K NY

What's with this phony regret stuff? A simple "oops" should suffice. Carly Fiorina expressed an opinion in an unguarded moment. It's a woman thing to comment on each other's looks. It shows she reguards Boxer as an equal as well as a rival. All she needs say is: "Yes I did. It's a woman thing. I doubt I'll slip like that again. Politics is about values and ideals not looks."

June 13, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  3. Jacqueline

I think she has shown that she is arrogant and two faced....lacking in integrity....I feel that is the last thing our country needs. She is not even upright enough to be sincerely sorry for what she said, only that she got caught. I hope the voters think long and hard about her lack of ethics.

June 13, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  4. Rinkrat

Maybe Carly should be less concerned about hair styles and more concerned about explaining how she's qualified for a senate job after being fired for incompentence from her last job.

June 13, 2010 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. Sunny

Honestly people, look at this face...does anyone honestly think she is up to any good besides POWER!

June 13, 2010 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  6. brian

A failed CEO running in a failed party... Pretty much speaks for itself.

June 13, 2010 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. Rright

Really, seriously, this is who is running?? I bunch of youth obsessed hair devas...

June 13, 2010 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  8. Republicans is smart in the head area

Translation: I regret getting caught. Fiorina is an absurdly terrible candidate. She will lose by double digits.

June 13, 2010 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  9. blue

You are not sorry, you are sorry that you got caught. I saw you laugh and laught about her hair do. It looks better than yours. You look almost bald.

June 13, 2010 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  10. chris

Like a lot of republicans I'm sure she is much more libreral than she would ever announce publicly. A couple of gin and tonics and she's ready to go!

June 13, 2010 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  11. waiting

Republicans regret nothing-they play to their audience! Ummh, let's
    see if this will work! Soon they will regret for raising taxes...but we
    had to because of Obama and immigration!

June 13, 2010 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  12. normajean

"Quoting a friend", well that's one way to pass the buck. Why do politicians find the truth so impossible to deal with? It seems inborn in them to lie when the truth doesn't have to be explained. Actually, this was just her opinion. Do we have to explain our opinions?.Why didn't she just admit she goofed? She didn't because she is a lying politician.

June 13, 2010 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  13. PB

"I am my own person, and I will continue to be my own person."

Perhaps she shouldn't be running for public office then....

June 13, 2010 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  14. Paul R Day

...a "petty and superficial" candidate.
    Not what we need in the United States Senate!

June 13, 2010 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  15. Jon, Palo Alto, CA

Hair today, goner tomorrow.

**************

Thus she attempts to pass the buck. That's worse than being snotty.

Dismal.

June 13, 2010 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  16. Patriot

Ummm....I think it was you Carly, who was talking about something petty and superficial.....

Typical Republican-blame everyone else....

June 13, 2010 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  17. Steve

Regret?!? Regret that she got caught saying something petty... Yet, in typical Republican fashion, didn't really take responsibility for anything. Good luck twit, CA....

June 13, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  18. Jeff Todd

Hilarious – that this is a news item, and that people make it seem newsworthy, and not respect the privacy of side comments made like that. Come on folks... but that's today's politics – thanks 'journalists'.

June 13, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  19. Rachel

"I gave people the opportunity to talk about something petty and superficial." Fiorina said. She forget to add one more crucial word to the end of this statement: "–me." Alaska has one such woman and so does California now. They're coming out of the woodwork!

June 13, 2010 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  20. John

Wake up America – the rich people are buying elections with massive propaganda media blitz. Do we really want to sell our democracy to the highest bidder? Carly is a rich elitist who made her fortune shipping jobs overseas to country's with child labor @ less than substance wages, is that what we want for America?

June 13, 2010 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  21. Jon

File this in the "who cares" section of the site. Although she is right ;^P

June 13, 2010 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  22. Bill

Yes, I would say hair is right up there on the list of things Fiorina should be worrying about as a member of Congress. What a ditz.

June 13, 2010 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  23. Adam

Fiorina looked weak on Meet the Press. It will be very interesting to see if she can withstand being tested during a long campaign.

June 13, 2010 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  24. vwrtb

"we are distroying jobs because of a government to big, taxes too high, and regulations too thick". Ummm, taxes have never been lower in the last 50 years... Ask B.P. How thick the water.. Opps, I mean regulations are... And the most successful administration in reducing government was a democrat's by the name of Clinton. But a sound bite is a sound bite... God help us all...

June 14, 2010 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  25. pinkette

On one hand I think she should appologize to Boxer for her adolecent comments about her hair. On the other hand, if she is truly unappologetic and has no regrets about the comment, she should stick by it. I often get tired of politicians who get caught saying something nasty and then give an insincere obligatory appology. Hey, if Fiorina is truly as petty and imature ad her comment demonstrates than she should stick to her true immature self.

June 14, 2010 07:09 am at 7:09 am |