June 14th, 2010

Democrats want investigation into surprise Senate primary winner

(CNN) - As political newcomer Alvin Greene calls on South Carolina's Democratic establishment to get behind him, party leaders are calling for an investigation into his surprise win in the state's Democratic Senate primary.

Greene, 32, is an unemployed veteran who came out of nowhere to win last week's election. Despite running no ads, Greene toppled former state legislator Vic Rawl with almost 60 percent of the vote. He'll face Republican Sen. Jim DeMint in the general election.

South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn said Sunday that he has no plans to get behind Greene and repeated his suspicions that the Democratic nominee is "someone's plant."

"I know a Democratic pattern. I know a Republican pattern, and I saw in the Democratic primary elephant dung all over the place," Clyburn, the majority whip, said on CNN's "State of the Union."

Full story

Filed under: 2010 • James Clyburn • South Carolina
  1. phoenix86

Democracy is so inconvenient for democrats.

June 14, 2010 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  2. Ryan

Doesn't matter what party you're of, that is VERY suspicious (and telling of our voting process) that someone with zero ads and no job would win anything – not even dog catcher.

June 14, 2010 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  3. dhampton100

I whole-heartedly agree with one writer who said “This guy has a college degree and worked in Army Intelligence, he can’t possibly be this stupid-he’s playing like an idiot” and he‘s quite convincing. He really has missed his calling, he should go straight to Hollywood. As a black man I think he should be ashamed of himself, allowing the Republicans to make him the latest Uncle Tom“Town Idiot” for profit.

June 14, 2010 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  4. GI Joe

You should read his biography and see that he has a degree in political science, was very well thought of in the area intelligence community within our military, etc.

He's not stupid, but I do suspect he is shy.

June 14, 2010 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  5. Peace

I can smell that elephant dung where I am sitting here. Watching the video (interview), Alvin Greene took, it doesn't show he has any knowledge or experience of anything. Is this do or die for the opposition side??? Oh lord! we are in deep trouble more than that of 2000!

June 14, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  6. Angus McDugan

Oops! We can't have someone that is outside of the D.C. establishment get into office. Let's create some controversy and ignore that the people are using the ballot box to revolt against what is going on in Washington.

This "investigation" is the good ol' boys up in D.C. taking care of their own.

June 14, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  7. Steve in North Carolina

Hey he got the vote, let him run. What gives career politicians the right to criticize his credentials! It's not like they are pristine examples of humanity!

I wish more people would start rejecting party insiders and start voting in regular folks.

June 14, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  8. rmillman

The real investigartion should be into the electronic voting machines used inSouth Carolina. South Carolina uses computerized voting machines with no paper record of the vote cast on election day and the results are tabulated using software that is a "trade secret". The discrepency between the votes countedt via electronic means and the paper record of absentee ballots points to electronic vote fraud.

June 14, 2010 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  9. marc christophe

I wonder if the Dems would be as upset if Mr. Green was white? By the way, regarding the (typically) stupid "elephant dung" remark, I would remind the filthy Dems that regardless of whether some political operative gave Green the filing fee, he still would not have won the primary unless Democrats voted for him. The Dems just cannot cope with the blanket stupidity of their own .

June 14, 2010 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  10. Stephen Real

What an obvious political scam this is.
    If the FBI doesn't find out who rigged this,
    I'd fire them and send in the Federal Marshals
    and if they couldn't do the job, I send in the Justice department.
    But anyone can see this is a complete set up
    and this Greene character is a "mark" and a "plant".
    Someone is challanging the authority of the Federal government to monitor a free and fare election.
    I would have my men on the ground today going through the records like a pack of wild dogs.
    I want the fix-it man and I want him now!
    This is no time for political cowardice.

This has the ghost of Lee Atwater written all over it.

June 14, 2010 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  11. Patrish

Scary now! (1). Not only can't this guy communicate, he has no idea what is going on. (2) If he had all that money saved, why are is living at home with 'dad'? (3) Charge with a crime and still won? This need investigation there is something serious wrong here. So glad I don't live in that state. Talk about weird politics!

June 14, 2010 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  12. FM

Where on earth can win 60% without:
    a) campaign contribution
    b) campaign events
    c) campaign website.
    The investigation is essential and compulsory. Who is he fooling?

June 14, 2010 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  13. Gale

Just shows that Dems will vote for anyone with a (D) behind their name!

June 14, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. Hangar 13

If the Democrat voters are no brighter than to nominate a bum facing a felony rap, they need to face up to it, nobody made anyone pull that lever. Democrats are the smart, well-informed voters, and Republicans are dumb, right?

June 14, 2010 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  15. Snow

What a load of BULL. Green is as dumb as a sack of hammers but it was the demorats who voted for him. Representative Clyburn is as dumb as Green, which point is proven everytime clyburn goes on national tv.

June 14, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  16. Slider

Love it.

The Democrat Party: the party of the people is going against 60% of its own constituency.

Clyburn, you are stupid. Your party is stupid. Your ideas are stupid.

June 14, 2010 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  17. MeinBham

I honestly feel sorry for this guy. He obviously means no harm, but he's so far out of his depth, he can barely manage a sensible comment on camera. When Olbermann attempted an interview, you could hear someone off-camera feeding him lines. No ads, no campaign rallies, no meetings – yet he wins by a landslide? Someone set this guy up.

June 14, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  18. njfinest2009

OMG- I really feel sorry for the person that Got this guy to run such an embarrassing scam. This is just taking advantage of one's stupidity and this man is not even smart enough to realize it. I feel sorry for Mr. Greene, but for real even a fool can only hold their tongue for so long. It will not be long before this guy is spilling the beans and tells who hired him. Let this be a lesson to all people. They tried to use this man to insult Obama's intelligence, and to say that Black people aren't smart enough for politics. But he who laughs last has the last laugh. I can't wait to see WHO laughs next... I know I will once the PERSON responsible for this mess is brought out into the LIGHT! Hide now, but once your busted, can't wait to see how STUPID you feel.

June 14, 2010 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  19. JonDie

South Carolina, like Florida, is controlled by Republicans, so I wouldn't be suprised if Republican election officials rigged the results.

June 14, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. Right Leaning Independent

What Clyburn really sees is ignorant voters once again voting in an unqualified candidate!! It is like Deja Vu Clyburn!!!

June 14, 2010 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  21. Right Leaning Independent

Exactly how did the Repubs get all those voters to pull the lever for Greene??? Your own party members put this fool in as the Dem candidate! Clyburn is another old ignorant politician who needs to be shown the door!!

June 14, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  22. .....

I saw this guy's interview on keith Olberman...it is absolutely frightening that the people of SC would elect this guy, my week year old nephew sounds more intelligent that this guy!!! do voters know what the heck they're doing when they go to the polls?!!

June 14, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  23. No Incumbents 2010

No one should second-guess the wise and informed voters of South Carolina. Thank you, SC voters for giving us the best nominee you could find! I agree with South Carolina voters that one is more qualified to be a Senator than Mr. Greene.

June 14, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  24. Lucullus

Hey let's hear it for South Carolina, the state that gave us the first shots of the Civil War! What a bunch of yokels, how could anyone vote for this clown? His opponent was well known, I assume he had an election committee working with him and yet he loses to this bozo? New York State"s government is an incompetent, corrupt mess but we can still say Thank God for South Carolina!

June 14, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. Larry

LOL. That whole state is foul.

June 14, 2010 10:28 am at 10:28 am |