June 14th, 2010

Etheridge: Confrontation occurred at end of 'long day'

Rep. Bob Etheridge is shown in a video, posted online, getting into a physical confrontation with two young men.

(CNN) – North Carolina Rep. Bob Etheridge reiterated his apology Monday after an online video surfaced showing he was involved in a physical altercation with two young men who approached him on a Washington, DC street and asked the Democrat whether he supported President Barack Obama's agenda.

"The truth is I had a long day, it was the end of the day, almost sunset," he told reporters on Capitol Hill. "But that's not the issue. The issue is I apologize for my actions and the people of North Carolina know me well and I apologize to these young men as well."

Etheridge declined to say whether more words or actions were exchanged beyond those that were shown in the edited video posted anonymously online Monday.

"I've been spat at, pushed on and threatened before and that's no excuse for my not walking on by," Etheridge said while declining to disclose if more words were exchanged. "Just no excuse."

The six-term congressman also said he still does not know who the young men – who identified themselves as students in the video – are.

Full story

Filed under: Bob Etheridge • Popular Posts
  1. Chris (Sacramento CA)

He is a pathetic moron who should be kick out of office for assaulting an individual. Hey liberals where are you in calling for his resignation?

June 14, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. TCM

He should be jailed; just like anyone else that agrees with the Obama agenda

June 14, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. RetiredSSG

Ah, the long day excuse, gotcha. Besides they were standing in the way to the bar.

June 14, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. martin

just because you had a long day doesn't give you the right to assault someone

people are allowed to film anyone else in public – and you don't have to stop if someone asks you a question.

its not like the kids prevented you from going in your way – in the video – you actually turned around and grab one kid and try to slap the camera out of the kids hand

June 14, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. Jerry

I have a long day most days and if these were my actions there would be hand cuffs on my wrists. He may may not know the young mans name today but will soon at the trial. Typical democrat jerk

June 14, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. Sarge

"Almost Sunset?"

The shadows in the video seem to say otherwise, but that is no excuse for criminal behavior.

Live under the laws you place the rest of us under, Congressman; resign and turn yourself in to the police.

June 14, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. Angus McDugan

I always like to rough up some teenagers after a long hard day too. It makes me feel like a big man!

June 14, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. 20yearvet

Why is his face blurred out? What is the cameraman trying to hide?

June 14, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Pragmatic

after the slimy "pretend" journalists that invaded & lied to the Louisiana governor ...trying to shut down her phone system, elected officials are jumpy.

Not an excuse ... but where has civility gone? Are you proud of yourself, Mr. Rove?

June 14, 2010 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. martin

I also wonder – if it was the end of a long day (friday June 11), then was this after going to the bar for happy hour?

June 14, 2010 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Democrats are so darn lovable!

Would an apology be enough if this guy was republican? Would the "Long day" excuse,be enough?You know it wouldn't be!And I say its not enough for this guy,either!Haul his butt into court!

June 14, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  12. witt

Where is the outrage on this? Is this tool going to get a pass? I mean this was physical assault!

June 14, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  13. Norman

"...the people of North Carolina know me well...". They may have thought so but they know you much better now. You should remove yourself from public office.

June 14, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. mj

Picture is worth a thousand words. He grabbed this young man and was in his face. " No excuse" is correct. Any other non-politician would have been arrested. May be that it is time to seek other employment.

June 14, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  15. demmie

doesnt matter who they are, what mood you were in, etc... you criminally assaulted a citizen.

June 14, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Mark from Louisiana

That loon needs to be fired today

June 14, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. thor

This poitician needs to take some classes on anger management.But then again he was just following the manual passed out by their leaders on how to treat people that disagree their views.There is no excuse for the Congressman's behavior !!!

June 14, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  18. LIP

When people intentionally approach a politician or anyone for that matter, with the clear intent of posting the results on U Tube, no apology is required. U Tube should be held accountable for their actions in not making these obvious attempts to discredit good people from happening.

June 14, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Mama Bear

Obviously, we have yet another politician (regardless of party affiliation) who is unfit to deal with the harsh realities of the common public – let alone those who don't speak out, and have NOBODY to represent them.

Your time is expired, Etheridge. Just please leave now!!!

June 14, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  20. Ace

If that was a Repblican he was toast by now but since it was a Democrat he can slap 120lb kids around with pure love from the DNC. The pride of NC. I can tell you it won't go over well in his district.

June 14, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. Katy

Unless there is a political coverup or influence peddling, the police are obligated to pursue a criminal investigation into Mr. Etheridges actions. Here, Mr. Etheridge can be clearly seen assaulting a child.

In any other city or state, Mr. Etheridge would have been quickly arrested.

What kinds of low-lifes are we electing these days? Anyone who would assault a child should be locked up NOT sent to Washington. No matter how long their day was.

June 14, 2010 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. Augsbee

He should resign, he got physical, that is a no no.

June 14, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. Obama the liar

Obama stress fatigue.

June 14, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. Bink

Ooooooo – these kids should come forward, and dear old Bob should be voted out of office.

He does NOT have a "right" to know who these kids are!

June 14, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. Micah Thomas

It's okay if you commit battery if it's at the end of a long day. I know that I personally like to smack my kids around if they get smart with me and I'm tired. Because I'm tired, it's okay right? Right? Hey, I'm not asking, I'm telling you that I'm right!!!

June 14, 2010 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |