June 15th, 2010

Palin hopes to meet Thatcher during possible trip to U.K.

Sarah Palin said she hopes to meet one of her 'political heroines', former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, when she visits London.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin may be going global in her effort to connect with prominent conservatives. The former Republican vice presidential nominee said she has received an invitation to visit London and included in that was an offer to meet former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, she wrote on her Facebook page.

In the Monday posting, she described Thatcher as "one of my political heroines."

"Baroness Thatcher's life and career serve as a blueprint for overcoming the odds and challenging the 'status quo.' She started life as a grocer's daughter from Grantham and rose to become Prime Minister – all by her own merit and hard work. I cherish her example and will always count her as one of my role models. Her friendship with my other political hero, Ronald Reagan, exemplified the Special Relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom," she wrote.

Palin, who did not detail who has extended the invitation to visit, said she hopes to arrange the trip "in the future."

A spokeswoman for Thatcher told CNN her office has not been contacted recently about a possible meeting although the two women's staffs did speak last year. Asked if the former prime minister would want to meet Palin, the spokesman said "she would be very happy...if it is feasible." The spokeswoman said the possible meeting seems to have generated a lot of interest in the U.S.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. ray

for thw love of god, tell me someone , doese this woman has a brain????? tell me please. this woman is na idiot to the highest.

June 15, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Intelligent Voter

Ron,

Why do you assume everyone who does not ike Palin is a "lefty"? I include myself with millions of other intelligent, thoughtful, reasonable Republicans who are terribly embarrassed by someone like Sarah Palin pretending to represent all Republicans. She is definitely only the choice of the very far right whose actual numbers, in reality, are not very high..

And truly, no one is scared of her – she's just a very embarrassing national joke. It is common knowledge that Margaret Thatcher is in a state of deepening dementia and,in all probability, has no idea who Sarah Palin is.

June 15, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. forrestoak

Anagram–
    Palins message for the past 10 years has been, 1) Balance the budget. 2) Grow the economy 3) Stop corruption in government. 4) Love of country and God.

June 15, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. John J, IN

Funny how all these wanna-be Conservatives tout "Ronald Reagan" as their political hero. Reagan was a centrist Republican in every way, and would not pass the modern "Conservative Doctrine". Heck, he wouldn't even be Conservative enough for the Tea Party to support him.

Just goes to show you – dumb is, as dumb does.

June 15, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Ted

I guess Sarah Palin is trying to find someone that doesn't know her and doesn't know she is ignorant. The world already knows what a sham Palin is.

June 15, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. C Smith

Do you repubs actually think us libs are afraid of Palin? No one is afraid of her. We are just continually in awe of her ignorance. She has no chance of making it to the White House. I actually pray that she runs in 2012. It will be even easier for us to win than it was in 2008.

June 15, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. Squigman

I hope the United Kingdom, and the people therein realize she does not represent the feelings, and desires of many of the people in the United States. This person is a poor example of American politics, and a poor representive of the human race. Why she makes the headlines is beyond belief.

June 15, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. Mesa Mick

The former UK prime minister has more class awareness than that.

Margaret Thatcher would never meet with a low rent, Wasilla trailer trash pop culture fake like Sister Sarah who's only good thing she ever did for America was to quit her government day job to go sell books and be talked about on TMZ...

HEY Sister Sarah! Give your lame "word salad" stump screed – I mean "speech" – at any drive by Tea Bagger lynchings – I mean "rallies" – lately?

June 15, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. anagram_kid

Forrestoak,
    OK, here are some things I oppose.
    Having women pay for their own rape test kits.
    Removing books from libraries because they oppose your personal beliefs.
    Collecting a per diem while living in your own home.
    Using gov't funds to pay for your children's travel.
    Seeking political office and appointments only to quit when greener ($$$) fields were elsewhere.
    Politicians who offer no solutions, just childish criticism.
    Turning a budget surplus into a $25,000,000.00 deficit for a town of less than 10K people.

These are just a few that came to mind. I could go on, but I challenge you to tell me one thing that she has done on a legislative level, that was not socialism, that improved the lives of her constituents?

June 15, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. Intelligent Voter

Forest Oak,

Please enlighten us on Palin's Policies – did I miss a press conference?

The only thing I've ever heard her say i s " Obama is a community organizer" (like that's a bad thing? She always forgets he was a Senator) and Drill Baby Drill. Oh yes, I forgot – she also stated she does not have breast implants.

June 15, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  11. anagram_kid

Forrestoak,
    She left Wassilla in the red by 25 million and she is as corrupt as they get. As for loving God and country, she only loves what she calls ‘real Americans’ and does not even adhere to her own franchise of Christianity. She believes in witches, spoke at an Alcohol convention as was pregnant before she was married. These are just a few.. Please just admit that there is no logic to your admiration and that she just makes you ‘feel good’. At least that would be honest.

June 15, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  12. Brian

Palin plays to the most ignorant portion of the population. Sad that there are so many!

June 15, 2010 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. american patriot

Our Country and Society is breaking down really bad and I wonder if American is really suffering from mental illness???

Anyone that would pay this airhead of a woman a 100K for an hour or pay her knocked up daughter 30K an hour to talk, has obviously lost their minds and have more money than commen sense.

Then there are all the woman and the other half of America thats supports this BAFOON and then the Media that gives her FREE air time DAILY.

For what, quitting her job half way through due to SCANDALS.
    Or being picked as VP by the Maverick and used as a gimmick and ploy to make the American People thank Johnny Maverick is electible.

The whole thing frightens me and I think alot of people in theis country are just a smig away from being cult followers.

This place is getting wierder all the time.

June 15, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

Watch out B.HO – Sarah is smoking hot! Her momentum keeps on sailing, while Obama's is sinking like BP deepsea rig...

June 15, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  15. normajean

I really wish "Intellegent Voter" was in every news entry every day. This is a thinking person. This is someone not looking to just put the other party down, nor to throw around "facts" that are not factual.but someone who has taken the time to read, think and listen. This is someone worth reading. .....Please come back..You are appreciated.!

June 15, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  16. yana

CNN.....please get back to being a professional station!!! You pump up lying Sarah with no real degree and common sense. However, it seems to me that you always comment negative things about our President. I noticed that when some one you are interviewing say sometihing positive your reporters always follow up with something negative and ask the person in question to make a comment in agreement with the reporter. This is becoming a trend with all your reporters. Why would Margaret Thacher's aides ask her to meet Plain Sarah. I'm sure you won't miss me for NOT watching CNN Sunday-Sat.. Today is my last day tuning in to CNN!!! And I'm sure if other viewers continue to watch and see how you place much doubt in viewers mind they too will soom exit CNN and start watching and getting the best from MSNBC!!!

June 15, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  17. Stephen in Bedford, TX

Sarah Palin, the brain from nowhere. Margaret Thatcher should say "thanks but no thanks, you betcha"

June 15, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  18. Jacob

how embarrassing for the U.S.!

June 15, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  19. Simon

As a Brit., although I never agreed with Thatcher's political stance, I am APPALLED that she might be subjected to the affront of a visit from a totally uneducated woman who cannot even construct a coherent sentence in the English language. Before entering politics, Thatcher read chemistry at Oxford University before going on to train as a barrister. Palin took 5 or 6 years at umpteen unheard of colleges to obtain an undergraduate degree in journalism. I thought journalists had to be able to write coherent sentences. Did Palin skip the English writing classes? Poor Thatcher is going to need a professional interpreter to interpret the meandering speech pattern of Palin. Also, I understand Thatcher is suffering from Alzheimer's and, if so, the LAST thing her doctors would recommend is the undue stress induced by a visit from a screeching woman who cannot even speak what Thatcher would call "English". Palin should be stopped at the UK Immigration desk at Heathow Airport and deported back to the States as an undesirable alien! We certainly don't want her here! She's going to be disappointed here, because Londoners regard her with total scorn.

June 15, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  20. Evil Hollywood Liberal

Does Palin know that Thatcher is no longer Prime Minister? Or is that 'new info' for Sarah? SP is so delusional, she might've thought she was taking a meeting where policy could be discussed/made. If Sarah wants to do something constructive, tell the Brits to send the British Navy over to help with the oil spill (if BP is THAT imporant to all the UK Pensioners & their economy).

June 15, 2010 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. Karen

I agree with Dano, betcha she didn't know who Margaret Thatcher was either!

June 15, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  22. sara

Thatcher sooooooo yesterday. Wasn't she Reagan's girl. Didn't Reagan start the DOWNWARD SLIDE of America! Run Sarah Run!

June 15, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. Lorie

Will this women please go away. If I have never seen anyone so full of themselves. She is the devil herself. By the way who is taking care of her kids? What a mother, glad she isn't mine.

June 15, 2010 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  24. beth mobley

and HOPE springs eternal , doesn't it??

June 15, 2010 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  25. Donnatella

My god now she is going to make us the laughing stock of England, those snooty people are going to freak out on how stupid she really is, if they can get past her annoying voice. Palin stay here where you have your ignorant teabagging cheerleaders who are just as dumb as you.

June 15, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |