June 16th, 2010

Bachmann not yet ready to back Pawlenty in 2012

Washington (CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minnesota, refused Wednesday to say whether she will back Gov. Tim Pawlenty should he launch a 2012 White House bid.

“He hasn’t clearly made any decision yet,” Bachmann said of her state’s Republican governor in an interview on CNN’s John King, USA. “And I haven’t backed any candidate yet or said that I’m going to be necessarily on their team. It’s very early in the process.”

“If you could pick, who would it be?” CNN Chief National Correspondent John King asked the Minnesota lawmaker.

“Well, we’ll find out,” Bachmann coyly replied, “I think after 2010, it will become much clearer.”

But the conservative Republican did have one 2012 prediction which she was willing to share.

“But I do know as I've been speaking to people, especially in my district in Minnesota, they see President Obama as a one-term president. So I think there is a very strong likelihood that we'll see a change after this election.”

Bachmann also expressed concern about how Obama is handling the economic damage caused by the Gulf oil spill.

The lawmaker made it clear to King that “I’m not here to shill for BP. That’s not the goal.

“BP clearly is at fault here. They need to pay every last dime of damage, and that’s what needs to be done.”

But on the same day that Obama announced BP’s agreement to fund a $20 billion escrow account to be disbursed by a well-known attorney, Bachmann added she was concerned the oil giant might be getting caught up in the politics of Washington.

“We don't want these payouts to become political. And we don't want - we don't think it's a good idea for the federal government to see private industry as essentially a piggy bank for the federal government.”

She added, “And while it's important that all the claims get paid, let's just make sure that this isn't a permanent ATM card.”

The Minnesota Republican explained her concern by pointing to the Obama administration’s multiple, unprecedented efforts to intervene in the private sector since late 2008 when the economy was teetering on the brink of another Great Depression.

“Today it seems like the automatic effort from the government is: let's have the federal government take over private industry,” Bachmann told King.

“We don't want that to be the automatic response of government, because we're a free-market economy. And unfortunately, the Obama administration hasn't been making any efforts to unwind the government out of these private industries. We're still deep into GM, deep into Chrysler, et cetera. And I just think we don't want to have the federal government take over effectively the oil industry either.”

Filed under: 2012 • BP • JKUSA • John King USA • Michele Bachmann • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. ThinkAgain

Bachmann is a loony tune. In one breath, she warns of the Federal government taking over everything; in the next, she berates the Federal government for not taking over BP to clean up the oil spill in the Gulf.

Why anyone would listen to her – let alone, vote for her – is beyond me. She's nuts!

June 16, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  2. bob

Oh my gosh, can it get any worse? She is a nut case hypocrite .

June 16, 2010 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  3. MR AMERICA

8th graders have a better grasp of the BP situation than this loon.

Nothing she said is true, is going to happen, is happening, or is likely to happen.

June 16, 2010 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  4. Get A Grip

Michele Bachmann....what a wonderful member of Congress. This country sure could use a lot more like her!

June 16, 2010 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

Oh my God, this is what I've been waiting for, please oh please Ms MORON, tell us who you are backing, LOL.

Republicans are a joke, and the sad part is they don't even know it. Even a 2 year old know how to say NO to everything all the time and cry when he/she doesn't have his/her pacifier.

Actually it is really sad, but I'm laughing at them either way.

June 16, 2010 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  6. juge

OMG is she for real!

June 16, 2010 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. Daskdflasd

Who gives a flying fig about how Michelle Bachmann feels about some candidate or may or may not run for president in 2012??? First of all, this is a meaningless story and second, Obama has only been in office 17 months. Does CNN ever ask themselves, "Is this really significant enough to put on our Web site?"

June 16, 2010 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. michael Gargiulo

This woman is a complete nut case. Anyone who backs her is just a big a nut case.

June 16, 2010 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  9. Eric

Im pretty sure that Pawlenty will want nothing to do with Bachman's endorsement. Im from MN, and while I disagree with Pawlenty's politics, he is a good man. He isnt on the fringe of the Republican Party, like Bachman is. I dont think you will see Pawlenty going around getting endorsements from ANY Tea Party types. Oh, and I didnt vote for Pawlenty, but I can tell you he is at least a sane, decent man. More than I can say for Bachmen. She is just wacko.

June 16, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  10. Jason

She is right. Get government out of GM, Chrysler, AIG, etc. They need to "plug the hole, daddy".

June 16, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  11. monasterymonkey

This airhead is a disgrace!

June 16, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. Donkey Party

God help us all if ignorant voters keep electing people like Bachmann. On the totem-pole of lunacy, she's right at the top with Palin and Angle.

June 16, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  13. Larry

Bachmann, after your crack about the government being too hard on BP I don't think you'll have to worry about endorsing anyone. Maybe BP will have a nice job for you on an oil rig off the coast of Africa.

So, how's that whole stupidity thing working out for you?

June 16, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  14. Man ... where do they come up with these folks

saw her on CNN tonight – what a pathetic whining pile of drivel – she needs to go back to Minnesota - as per her pick for 2012 ... who cares ... I think it will be Palin - she is not playing with a full deck and her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard ...

June 16, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  15. scott

Bachman's an idiot who isn't qualified to do anything other that fleece the people dumb enough to eat her regurgitated Fox News Talking Points.

June 16, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  16. John

Who cares what this dumb idiot thinks?

June 16, 2010 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  17. Ramon

Give me a break. She is an idiot

June 16, 2010 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  18. Patsy, Texas

I just have to say how sad it is to see the likes of Bachmann and all
    of those like her who are so willing to take down anything President
    Obama has tried to do. There is not one ounce of rationaltiy in her
    statements, and she is a detriment to any attempt to move the
    Country forward.
    Her "concern" over the 20 billion dollar oil escrow account is so
    unreasonable and unfair it is mind boggling.
    The Tea Party has embraced so many strange people, I wonder
    what they are trying to do.
    What they have done, for me, is clearly given me a reason as to
    who not to vote for. While I can only express my opinion in my
    State of Texas, and for the Presidential election, I will most
    certainly avoid any and all Tea Party endorsed people. Guess
    that means I will start with Perry.
    Sorry, CNN Ticker, you will not want to show this, but I will continue
    to read about the clowns you love to highlight, and I will continue
    to listen to the serious minded people, who present both sides of each
    issue, on PBS.

June 16, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  19. James

Anyone but Obama Carter has my vote.

June 16, 2010 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  20. drod

Pretty please pick Sara Failin, we need another win.

June 16, 2010 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  21. CBR

Isn't just a wee bit early to choose the candidates for the 2012 election. Perhaps John King is interested but I think most people would just like to make it through 2010.

At this point there are far more important issues to cover. The Gulf Coast is a disaster area and hurricane season is around the corner. It could get worse before it gets better.

As for Ms. Bachmann, I don't think she keeps up with the news. Perhaps she would like to see more Americans in bread lines – don't provide assistance just let nature take its course. That seems to be the Conservative way. I am not the least bit miffed that the politicians asked for TARP money or that they bailed out certain industries. It is too early to say just how effective this was. I do know that Maine used the money very wisely – doing projects that needed to be done. Mainers do not ask for handouts but when we know it will help to provide jobs for people then we are willing to make it work. Too bad Ms. Bachmann cannot see it in that light.

Oil interests favor the Republican Party so I can see why she does not want the President to push BP. She is not a shill for the oil company but she is wrong about this issue.

June 16, 2010 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  22. svjules

When will people stop asking her opinion? Ms. Patriot is know defending a British company over her own citizens? I don't understand people who defy their own logic. Can we just get over her please?

June 16, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  23. sue

.Bachman must think the money is coming out of her pocket. Maybe it is taking from her from the money BP is giving her, I have heard no solutions from her only whining,

June 16, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  24. snow

I hope nobummer will be 4 and no more. Should not have been given 04 years, now proving he is not qualified to lead this country. Will go down as the worst President ever and being worse than jimmy carter is really getting low in the sewer.

June 16, 2010 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  25. joy

this woman is an idiot!!!

June 16, 2010 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |