June 17th, 2010

Barton retracts apology to BP

Rep. Joe Barton apologized Thursday for using the term 'shakedown' regarding the the $20 billion fund BP agreed to establish for damage compensation, and retracted his apology to BP:

"I apologize for using the term 'shakedown' with regard to yesterday's actions at the White House in my opening statement this morning, and I retract my apology to BP. As I told my colleagues yesterday and said again this morning, BP should bear the full financial responsibility for the accident on their lease in the Gulf of Mexico. BP should fully compensate those families and businesses that have been hurt by this accident. BP and the federal government need to stop the leak, clean up the damage, and take whatever steps necessary to prevent a similar accident in the future.

"I regret the impact that my statement this morning implied that BP should not pay for the consequences of their decisions and actions in this incident."

Filed under: BP • Energy • Joe Barton • Obama administration • Popular Posts
  1. cjr

typical republican! time for him to go! maybe he's looking for a job at BP! No retraction – apology not accepted.

June 17, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Annie, Atlanta

Some of us are foolish enough to believe this "apology," and some of us know this corporate shill spoke the truth the first time around. But what really matters is his constituents, and whether they're paying attention at all. My experience is that most people don't. They're either D or R and nothing – NOTHING – will change that.

June 17, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Turnabout is Fair Play

And yet another false apology from a bought and paid for neo-con who let his mouth run before his tiny brain could think. Too little, too late Republican tool, the damage has already been done, see you in November! :-)

June 17, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Too little, too late!!! You said what you said because you meant it. "Once you're in hell, onl th devil can help you out."

June 17, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  5. jim

how do you "retract an apology"?

June 17, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. josephine

He obviously was hoping that it wouldn't cause the furor that it did but since it had he is now retracting it. Don't worry Mr. Barton, I'm sure that the mere fact that you tried to make BP look good and the President look bad, even if it failed so badly, you still will be compensated by the oil company. By the way, the morons saying that the President got contributions from BP are absolutely right. What they are not saying though is that McCain/Failing Palin received three times more from this oil company. Enough said.

June 17, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. Geshrwh

OK- Barton has "rescinded" his apology to BP...guess that's enough? A congressman from Georgia was just on the news saying Barton is a "good guy" and he made "a mistake" in judgement. Barton didn't use the typical response-"I was taken out of context! This man's initial comments stand in my book, his rescinded comments do not. Thank you Congressman Barton, I hope your original apology to BP runs in lots of ads this November to show American taxpayers just the side most Republicans are one and it's not the American taxpayer!

June 17, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. JES

Why would you have to apologize we are acting like a bunch of THUGS and everyone knows it.

Stop complining and find some solutions.

Obama is not a leader so someone needs to step up to the plate and get this mess heading in the right direction.

June 17, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. PalmReader

Translation: I used my status as a United States Congressman to try and smack down the President of the United States. I regret that it impacted on me personally.

June 17, 2010 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Steph

I regret that my statement implied...implied??? Sir, please go back and review the three basic steps of an apology. This is not an apology!

June 17, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Larry

What a two-faced maggot.

June 17, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. Aliens For Earth

When comments of such determined and clear opinion are carefully prepared and then projected with such clarity in an environment of judicial and public disclosure, an apology after the fact can be nothing but a lie. Final: the original comments are Rep. Joe Barton's belief and intention.

June 17, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. WI Liberal

Ah, yeah right, I believe your apology as much as I believe republicans stand for the american people instead of greed.

June 17, 2010 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. Dignity Restored

Crow tastes like chicken, eh Barton? Mmmmm.......

June 17, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. El Gordo

Conservatism in action:
    Washington needs to know that this increasingly pervasive embrace of bailouts must be stopped before it drowns us in debt and destroys our national tradition of self-reliance. Add your voice to a growing chorus of Americans who are fed up with Washington by sending a simple message: “STOP!” When billions of taxpayer dollars are carelessly dispensed with little or no oversight, Americans must express their outrage in ways that are civil yet effective. America must stand up against the attack of liberal socialism. The Conservative movement has a new energy, a new feeling and a new hope. Get the government out of our lives! Let the free market remain free! End oppressive government regulation. Tell the tree-huggers to shut up and let Americans earn a living. Let those who fail, fail. That’s what bankruptcy is for. Nobody said life would be fair! Why do I have to support welfare loafers? Give us our country back!

KA-BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is our federal government at this time when we desperately need help?!! Our lives have been ruined, our livelihoods stolen thorough no fault of our own! We need help NOW! Stop the spill NOW! Why was our federal government not ready for this kind of disaster? Where are the federal regulators? Why did they not stop this from happening? What am I going to do? What is the government going to do to help me put my life back together? You can’t trust these oil companies. They will do anything for a buck. My catfish taste oily now? Where can I get a government debit card? Why hasn’t BP sent me another check? Doesn’t any body care? What is wrong with you people? We are suffering here! Give me my life back!

June 17, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. NVa Native

Joe the bummer knows very well what a shakedown is, he's a corproate lobbyist (republican) of course.
    Even if it were a shakedown, at least it's for the good of the people and not for the good of the corporate mafia that is the oil cartel.
    The repubs are just pissed that they aren't getting a cut.

June 17, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. w l jones

It appears!!! we need to out law all union and office worker and go back to straight labor where men make $1.25 cent a day women $1.oo and children .5o cent so every body will stop crying. In this way BP would be let off the hook for their neligent.

June 17, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  18. ldt

Yes, I would have to disagree with him. He appears to be out of touch with the situation. I am proud of our president. He is doing the right things and contrary to media push to make something negative out of nothing, I think President Obama is handling this very well. I give him an A+. It was right to put money in excrow and separate the claims processing from BP. They are majorly busy trying to solve a major oil gusher leak and the addition of claims processing that they normally would not be doing would be difficult at this time and potentially interfere with the most pressing need at hand at this time. So it is a great thing that they agreed to put the money in escrow and have an independent party take care of all that paper work and processing. It was a smart move all the way around. It improves BP's image. It makes everything fair for both parties involved (BP and the victims.)
    President Obama is awesome. The republican media pushers have tried so hard to find something to slam him about and then spread that negativity across the US. Do a little comparing. Think about Katrina and the slow response that occured under the former President. And think about the former Presidents declaration from the navy boat saying the "war was over." And think about President Obama's response here. It has been thoughtful, smart, heartfelt,
    and majorly involved from day one. I have been to his web site from day one and he has been on top of it. He makes a lot of sense and I agree with his views. Thanks for listening.

June 17, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. ed fl

Poor Barton did one of his pocketbook donators get chewed out. He is just another of Texas's big mouth BLOWHARDS that lets his mouth overload his A–. State is full of them Brown eye texans. they all know what the comment refers to. Hope the congress looks into donators of the members to see just how many of the GOP'ERS receive huge amounts from the oil companies. They do not like it when a Chicago politician puts the screws to their benefactors.

June 17, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. Lost in Texas FOREVER

so you mis-spoke there eh Mr. Barton? Well let's look at the WHOLE picture...just last week GOP and the far right wailed that President Obama was not being tough enough with BP (except for Rand Paul who claimed he was being too tough) Now with the 20billion that BP is going to pay he's "shaking down the industry" Barton did NOT misspeak he just did what a lot on the right have done since Obama took office...FIND FAULT IN EVERYTHING HE DOES!! Now the GOP has eggs on their faces with him and the lot like Bachmann. Someone in the GOP forgot to pull these guys ovr to the side and whisper..."no this time guys..save the put downs for something else"!

June 17, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. Jan

Why do the Repug say these things and then think that if they come back with an apology that everything is going to be fine. This jackass should be removed from his office. This really makes us look really stupid and BP is thinking that they might be able to get out of this.

I am really disappointed in the people who WORK for us,. I never in my life ever thought that our politics would get so bad and that people would say some of the HORRIBLE things that have been said in the last year and a half

June 17, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  22. MartiM, TX

A bit like slamming the barn door after the horse has left...

June 17, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  23. Sean

"I supported BP before I didn't support BP."

June 17, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  24. tony

He should also issue an apology to the Republican Party. He just killed their chance in the midterm election. Just imagine this ad: "the Republican Party apologized to British Petroleum for causing the oil spill in the Gulf. Whose side is the Republican Party on, BP or the American people?"

June 17, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  25. JohninTampa

Barton, you give me the choice of thinking you are:

A. unbelievably stupid, insensative, and out of touch with anyone but the industry that obviously owns you; or

B. unbelievably stupid, insensative, and out of touch with anyone but the industry that obviously owns you, AND a cowardly liar who won't stick to your word when challenged.

June 17, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |