June 18th, 2010

Kagan note labels KKK and NRA as 'bad guy' organizations

A conservative magazine suggests Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan is 'hostile' to gun owners, based on a 1996 note she wrote in the Clinton White House.

Washington (CNN) - A conservative magazine suggests Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan is "hostile" to gun owners, based on notes she wrote in the Clinton White House in 1996.

The notes were released last week by the William J. Clinton Presidential Library. Kagan worked in the White House Counsel's office in 1995 and 1996. Kagan, 50, was nominated to the high court May 10 by President Obama, and her confirmation hearings begin June 28.

The disclosure coincided with the release Friday afternoon of about 80,000 more documents.

A March 1996 document is likely to stir conservative anger. In it, she labeled the Ku Klux Klan and the National Rifle Association as "bad guy" organizations.

The issue was a pending bill, the Volunteer Protection Act which gave some volunteer workers from a range of nonprofits a measure of liability protection from lawsuits. Kagan expressed concern that certain groups might be included in a "Cumulative List" of tax-exempt groups that would be covered under the proposed law.

Full Story

Updated 5:50 p.m.

Filed under: Elena Kagan • Supreme Court
  1. MAC

For those of you who state that Obama does not want to take our guns away did not watch him early in the primarys when he stated he believed the 2nd amendment only allowed guns for the organized state malitia.

June 18, 2010 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. ConstitutionalPatriot

I'll renew my NRA membership tonight just for all you fanatical lefties. Just cause you are hoplophopes doesn't make guns or the people who own them bad. That is the most hateful thinking i've ever heard. How can you denounce the KKK when you display the same ignorance and thought process they do with your wrongheaded stereotypes. It's a constitutional right which means you can't touch it so grow up and move on. Do something useful like try to end the wars. Oh yeah the anti war left dissolved once Obama got in. Liberals don't stand for anything but picking fights and placing labels on those who think freely and happen to disagree. I'm gonna go buy another gun just to make all you haters get your undies in a bundle. Hahaha have a great day!

June 18, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  3. Blah blah

Liberal posters just keep showing ignorance. I doubt any of you kids know any NRA members. You just make stuff up or spout lies that you've heard from the other crazies on the left. Obama supporters are getting a bit scarier every day.

June 18, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. mar

Good for her. They are bad guy organizations

June 18, 2010 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. Blah blah

She's crazier than I thought.

(I'm surprised that CNN doesn't edit some of the crazy stuff some of these lib posters write. I guess they only edit the conservative viewpoints)

June 18, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  6. rk

most of the people here who come to the defense of the 2nd amendment are the same ones who want to:

-deny the 14th amendment to americans born in the US to illegal immigrants

-deny 4th amendment rights to anyone who looks Hispanic in the state of arizona.

June 18, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  7. Limbaugh is a Liberal

The NRA is nothing but a front for gun manufacturing multi-billion dollar corporations. They use every excuse to advertise their stuff and make more billions. They even scared people into buying guns at the start of the Obama presidency even though Obama has not at any point moved to take away guns. In fact, under Obama now guns are allowed in National Parks. Obama gave them more freedom. And yet they'll use him still as an excuse to scare people into buying billions of dollars worth more guns.

June 18, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. ysidero

I'm a former NRA member, and current gun owner, who enjoys target shooting and chooses not to hunt. I let my NRA membership lapse a few years ago when it became clear that their political agenda went beyond defending 2nd Amendment rights. I will never give up my rights to own guns, but I'm not going to support an organization which has become synonymous with paranoia and xenophobia. I'm not sure the NRA is a "bad guy", but I would agree that some of their official positions are "bad", and many members have dangerously paranoid and unsubstantiated fears about government and society.

June 18, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. ib

no way this woman should be on the Supreme Court. NO WAY

June 18, 2010 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  10. rs

She isn't hostile to gun owners like most of us, just the nutty, brown-shirted NRA. Shoot, I'd put 'em on a terrist watch list. Even GHW Bush tore up his NRA card over their antics.

June 18, 2010 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  11. Mike

all guns should be banned and ANYONE found possessing one should be IMMEDIATELY thrown in jail. No trial.

June 18, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  12. mike

NRA is a joke all I hear is these clowns going around and telling
    uneducated air heads with rifles that they are going to take there guns
    away if these idiots would stop and listen instead of stroking there
    rifle maybe just maybe they would realize that there rifle well be there
    soul mate instead of there wife and they could keep stroking there rifle without anybody taking it away from them use plenty of lube

June 18, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  13. Kelly G in FL

In my area, home invasions are unfortunately on the rise, and all the cops/alarms/dogs etc wont stop a hardened criminal from taking what he wants. There are crazy, desperate people out there who think they are entitled to what you have (be it your bigscreen TV or your teen daughter).

After your home is invaded, and your family gets beaten or worse because you had NOTHING to defend them with, (and the cops don't always get to the scene in time) tell me then you aren't a fan of responsible homeowners legally having guns in their homes.

You are so ignorant if you that things like that wont, or cant, happen to YOU.

If guns become illegal, do you think all the criminals are just gonna say, "Aw, shucks! Better get rid of these." ? When cocaine became illegal some years ago, did all the cokeheads turn in their cocaine to the authorities? Taking away our right to bear arms will take guns away from responsible adults who are protecting their families and homes, while the criminals still brandish.

It's a scary world out there, and I'd rather be as prepared as possible.

If you choose not to have a gun, that's your business. I choose to be a gun owner.

June 18, 2010 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  14. Guess Who

Even though one has no facts to back this up, point is:
    Not all NRA members are in the KKK
    All KKK members are in the NRA

June 18, 2010 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  15. ThinkAgain

I believe in the right of people to legally own guns. It's a right, but also a responsibility.

What I don't like is when the NRA blocks legislation to close the loophole that allows unlimited purchasing of fire arms without background checks at gun shows.

I think people should pass a background check before purchasing fire arms, and for the life of me, I don't understand why anyone needs to carry a concealed weapon in a National Park or a displayed weapon into a Starbucks.

Protect guns rights, yes – but reasonable limitations and requirements for ownership are necessary in a society our size.

June 18, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. Gil

Bert, I'm not a gun owner and I've dealt with a family member killing 4 family members with a gun to be used to protect that family. I hate guns and I don't care about criminals with guns. My uncle was a law abidding citizen that became a criminal and killed his family!

June 18, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  17. charlie from the North

I hunt. When the NRA called on me to join I told them I"d never seen a moose or a deer that I would need an assault rifle to take down and that they would not get a dime from me as long as they were against a ban on them. I agree that the NRA is misguided at times and I also agree that the other 9 amendments are as important as #2. However, lumping them in with the KKK is neither fair nor justified I would like to hear her explanation of this one.

June 18, 2010 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  18. WHAT

Both groups are instigators for the weak mind.

June 18, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  19. RICK FROM PA

Let's get the story straight – she never said that she was against "gun ownership" but simply that she considered the NRA an "outlaw". Any organization that condones the "home ownership" of automatic weapons such as AK-47's and such should be considered "bad guys"! Would I be protected by the 2nd amendment if I were to have a SAM missile in my garage? I don't think that our Founding Fathers would approve of any weapon beyond a pistol, rifle or shotgun!

June 18, 2010 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  20. really?

Rick McDaniel June 18th, 2010 5:26 pm ET

Considering the current trend in Washington, towards dictatorship, on the part of the Democratic Party, I doubt that the NRA would consider themselves bad guys.
    ________________________________________________________
    Rick, do you know what a dictatorship is? Please give me one example in support. You are a fool. It's scary people like you can vote.

June 18, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  21. George of the jungle

Boy if you knew some of the NRA guys I know you would agree with her. Bunch of beer drinking red neck shoot anything that moves bunch of guys kind of like our ex VP Cheney!!! HA HA

June 18, 2010 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  22. Hendrik

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people". That is true you idiot. It is the people who use the gun to kill people.

Mention the NRA in a negative light and the GOBP just gets up in arms because they fear that everybody is coming to get their guns.

I like the comment by the poster that his/her gun safe is full. What kind of moron are you? Paranoid schizophrenic (sp). Typical stupid "small" American.

June 18, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  23. George of the jungle

They are blowing smoke. Read the whole artical. Just repo propaganda.

June 18, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  24. Phil Whitehead, Prescott Valley, AZ

Wow...
    There are too many of you who "Don't Get It", to even list your partial names. Fortunately the First Amendment gives you the right to be publicly,openly, and obviously wrong. Those of us who actually wore the uniform of our country would still give our lives to protect that right. Just remember...be careful of who you vote for and what you wish for...you just might get it. Look around yourselves, you fools...you are "getting it" as we speak.
    That hurt to say...but it had to be said.

June 18, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  25. Debby

Yeah and what about the guns on the street Kagan you know like in GANGS. Are those OKAY????????

June 18, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |