June 18th, 2010

Kagan note labels KKK and NRA as 'bad guy' organizations

A conservative magazine suggests Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan is 'hostile' to gun owners, based on a 1996 note she wrote in the Clinton White House.

Washington (CNN) - A conservative magazine suggests Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan is "hostile" to gun owners, based on notes she wrote in the Clinton White House in 1996.

The notes were released last week by the William J. Clinton Presidential Library. Kagan worked in the White House Counsel's office in 1995 and 1996. Kagan, 50, was nominated to the high court May 10 by President Obama, and her confirmation hearings begin June 28.

The disclosure coincided with the release Friday afternoon of about 80,000 more documents.

A March 1996 document is likely to stir conservative anger. In it, she labeled the Ku Klux Klan and the National Rifle Association as "bad guy" organizations.

The issue was a pending bill, the Volunteer Protection Act which gave some volunteer workers from a range of nonprofits a measure of liability protection from lawsuits. Kagan expressed concern that certain groups might be included in a "Cumulative List" of tax-exempt groups that would be covered under the proposed law.

Full Story

Updated 5:50 p.m.

Filed under: Elena Kagan • Supreme Court
  1. hobart

The NRA most definitely deserves the "bad guy" label, because for starters, they constantly spread the lie that Obama is going to take away your guns. Earth to gun enthusiasts; guns are not on any part of Obama's agenda, precisely because of the 2nd A. Nevertheless, that doesn't stop the NRA from broadcasting its deliberate lies.

Why is it conservatives think it's OK to violate the 9th Commandment: "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour?" The only rationale I've ever heard from you theocons is that it's OK to bear false witness against your enemy, that somehow neighbors and enemies aren't the same thing. One's us and the other's them. What theological BS.

June 18, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. annie s

Well, she's right. The NRA is a dangerous and far too powerful lobby.

June 18, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. New Age Independant

Obviously liberals are now against some of our most cherished civil liberties. They seem to care little for our Constitution.

June 18, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  4. Get A Grip

shawn June 18th, 2010 4:58 pm ET

The NRA are total fanatic gun nuts, and gun nuts ARE bad guys. They are the worst of America and a total embarrassment. Oh, and most NRA members are total racists, too. Nobody is trying to take away their guns. They're hysterical, paranoid, racist freaks.
    **********************************
    Actually, ignorance that you displayed in your comment "are the worst of America and a total embarrassment."

June 18, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. Two Row

Keep talking about the NRA – membership soars ever time. All my gun safes are full and I have a conceal to carry that comes in handy traveling between homes. Get your guns up – haha.

June 18, 2010 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. Mike in San Antonio

KKK? Absolutely
    NRA? Not in the least...they are no more a bad organization than let's say Congress, the Senate, or this poor excure we have for an administration.

June 18, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Sandra Thorne

In regards to Darth Vadik, I was raised on guns in the mtns. of Ark. and if you didn't hunt you didn't eat. Spent 20 yrs. in the military and I still have guns and like them. My feelings for KKK doesn't even deserve comment. The NRA has done alot in seeing that the 2nd amendment is protected on my behalf. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Not having guns wont stop crime, because criminals will buy them out of the trunk of someones car. I still hunt but I also would use my guns to protect my family from anyone who meant harm. Having guns doesn't make me racist, paranoid, or a freak.

June 18, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  8. jeff jackson, alabama

NRA bad guys? Where did this airhead grow up ?
    KKK , Nazis, Communist, Marxist are bad guys.
    NRA is one of the most standup oldest organizations
    in America. What the heck is going on in Wash. D.C. ????

June 18, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. If you want something ruined let a democratic community organizer handle it

Kagan is an idiotic liberal moron who would enjoy living in the warm glow of Castro's communist haven. I know many law abiding, tax paying citizens who are members of the NRA. These people are far from racists and contribute greatly to society. They pay their taxes on time and follow the rules of society.

I find it ironic that the vast majority of "racists" are the liberals. They use the race card at every opportunity to bully their socialist and communist agendas.

June 18, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. Indiana Voter

Well she obviously is unfit for the job if she id that confused. The sad thing is, most of the liberal Democrats on this website are just as screwed up, and obviously speak without knowing history, and the constitution.

June 18, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Steve (the real one) said, among other things:

The NRA is to gun owners what Planned Parenthood is to abortionists! So, it appears we can add Planned Parenthood to that list as well, right?
    -------------------------------–

Steve your analogy has a Glen Beck aura to it, and to its 'leading' conclusion. You are seeking to insert a whole new topic, Planned Parenthood in the discussion, and in the list of "bad guys". I respectfully decline to take the bait.

The topic is and remains KAGAN'S comments vis-a-vis the KKK and the NRA. My point is, and remains that I see nothing good that can be attributed to the KKK.

June 18, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

New Age Independant: I am a liberal. As with Sandra, I too have been raised with guns. I also care about our Constitution. ALL of it, and not just the portions that benefit me directly.

June 18, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. Eric

"Bad guy" organizations... you know, those who support the second amendment... like our founders. You know, THOSE bad guys.

June 18, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. NVa Native

NRA is not a civil liberties organization. Both the KKK and NRA feed and profit from simple minded people who can be easily manipulated by fear, bigotry, ignorace, and arrogance.

June 18, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. hobart

Oh good grief. Here's the NRA's own website, its own words, all ABSOLUTE LIES, on Obama's stand on guns...

GunBanObama.com

This "bad guy" label is not about the NRA's devotion to the 2nd A. It's about their absolute loathsome dishonesty.

The NRA of today bears no resemblance to the NRA of my youth. The NRA of my youth taught me all about how to shoot, gun safety, etc., and came across as completely honest.

Today's NRA (the leadership, not the members) is one of the most dishonest organizations out there. Add to that exhorting its members to carry their guns to political rallies to intimidate any opposition or threaten government officials, and now you're talking treason.

This has nothing to do with the 2nd A, and everything to do with authoritarian us/them mentality run amok.

June 18, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. Allen in Hartwell GA

Both these organizations play on the fears of white males. The KKK tells them that they will lose their superior status, and the NRA tells them that they will lose their guns. Little do the scared white males know that they are being played. I know, because I am a white Southern middle-aged male and successfully resisted efforts to brainwash me by all the good ole boys. Of course 22 years in the military gave me a different outlook.

June 18, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  17. mms55

i really like this woman.she hit the nail on the head.the nra is bad they are always telling dumb hillbillies the dems are taking away their guns and they fall for it every time.they keep telling people this to help out their gun manufacturing buddies.for me,any group who would support assault weapon ownership for anyone other than law enforcement are "bad guy's" plain and simple.

June 18, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  18. NVa Native

The ONLY people who talk about taking "your" guns away are the NRA and GOPers. And they do it to scare people so they can gain power and money. Pretty simple stuff for pretty simple people.

June 18, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  19. Matt

This woman is an intelligent LOON. I don't care how much education she's had, equating the NRA to the KKK is stupid. And I'm not even a gun owner.

Kagan should not even be considered for the Supreme Court–too out of touch with the general population (and the Constitution).

June 18, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  20. Nathan

Yeah, and. There isn't much difference between an organization who wants white supremency and an organization who wants gun supremency. Both organizations belive in the right to perpetuate violence. The only difference is that the KKK uses the bible in a perverted way to explain their doctrine and the NRA uses the constitution to explain theirs. Neither organization looks at whats best for the country. They're both self serving and dangerous. The only diffrence between the 2 organizations is that one thinks people should die by the rope and the other thinks wee should all be shot.

June 18, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  21. JES

I agree with what she said about the KKK but not the NRA.

We don't need a person like this sitting on the Supreme Court.

June 18, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. GuyinVA

Typical liberal contempt for the constitution regarding her views on the NRA. I wonder if she considers Planned Parenthood a "bad guy" (bad girl?) organization. The wholesale slaughter of innocent unborn children, right up to the moment of birth. Murder defined as choice. How about ELF or ALF? No? I've got a great idea. Babies in newly built housing developments, so ELF can burn them down. Two birds with one stone. How about that Ms. Kagan?

June 18, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  23. Sniffit

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people. "

Facts and evidence don't kill common sense, talking points do.

June 18, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  24. Independant Vet

Just another chip off . Chicago Politics . . MORE LIES Her substance has a bad odor. More like the rest of the Illegals.

June 18, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  25. Peter

New Age Independant June 18th, 2010 5:48 pm ET

>>>>>>>>>>>>>what the same constituitions Republicans are eager to chew up and spit out when a part doesnt fit their political agenda!!! leave the 14th amendment alone!!! The rich in this country have enough power as it is.....leave my constituition alone!!!

June 18, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |