June 18th, 2010

Thompson: My 2008 bid faced 'insurmountable object'

Former presidential candidate Fred Thompson was on Comedy Central’s ‘The Daily Show’ on Thursday.

(CNN) - Fred Thompson, the actor and former Tennessee Republican senator, says he knows why his failed 2008 presidential campaign didn't make it past the first few primaries.

"I had an insurmountable object to overcome in that presidential bid and that was the wisdom and the inherent good judgment of the American people," Thompson told John Stewart Thursday on Comedy Central's "The Daily Show."

"So it worked out for everybody," Thompson said after the audience's laughter and applause subsided.

The former "Law & Order" actor was on Stewart's show to promote his new book, "Teaching the Pig to Dance."

Filed under: 2008 Election • Fred Thompson
  1. Rick McDaniel

There's a good sense of humor.

June 18, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  2. Mike Moderate

It sure did work out....I am from Tennessee and we all know how LAZY ol Fred really is. He used all his strength chasing women. He sure as heck cannot run a country.....all mouth and no substance

June 18, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  3. carlos

Fred Thompson, the former "Law & Order" actor was on Stewart's show to promote his new book, "Teaching the Pig to Dance."

does he mean that that palin woman does not know how to dance?????

June 18, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------–

Good one Fred! And you're right: "So it worked out for everybody,"

The good judgement and wisdom of the American people DULY elected President Barack Hussein Obama. We made the right choice, and look forward tohis re-election in 2012.

Thank you for NOT wasting your, or our time unlike Palin/McCain in running for office. We've already had one actor as President. Now we have an intelligent, compassionate, hard-working ex-Senator, and yes, proudly, community organizer as our Commander-in-Chief. The wisdon , and judgement that you spoke of in the American people elected him and wouldn't trade him FOR THE WORLD!!!

Obama 2012

June 18, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. Bill from GA

Was that an earthquake, or did a politician actually tell the whole truth.

I hope we can count on more of that inherent good judgment of the American people.

June 18, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  6. EBC

What a LIAR. Thompson lost because he SUCKED!!!! The only insurmountable obstacle was HIM!!!

No one believed this clown, he's an actor and NOT a very good one either. I love how he continues to blame everything else but himself. LMAO.

June 18, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  7. Shane

Aside from the fact that you're a hypocritical moron, Mr. Thopmson?

June 18, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  8. Dennis in AZ

I'd like to think Sen. Thompson's book would be inspiring if I decided to give him my money to actually read the book. Unfortunately, I'm still plodding through a host of other celebrity biographies and waiting to be inspired. I lied–I wouldn't spend money on trying to read anything written by celebrities or about celebrity lives. All these celebrity books are premised on "It could happen to you, if you just did this" logic, which has never been a canon of truth nor semblance of reality.

June 18, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  9. Jackalope

Why should we care about this loser? He wasn't even a very good actor.

June 18, 2010 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. Sniffit

Just another actor hollywood-type the GOPers have in their party. Makes sense. You'd have to be either a trisome or faking it to claim you believe half the crap that comes out of their mouths.

June 18, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. Don of Iowa

Finally a Republican who has to admit he has no brains and no original ideas, he is just a stuffed shirt with no accountability and no brains, now if the rest of all the Republican candidates would be as honest we could finally see that NOT ONE Republican has a brain or any intelligence, something the whole world has suspected for many years now.

June 18, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  12. Actors

He would have made a good president, even though he was an actor, lot better than the professional actor we have in there now.

June 18, 2010 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  13. GI Joe

His brain is the object, and he's the pig trying to learn to dance. Typical republican.

June 18, 2010 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  14. snow

To bad it did not happen to nobummer. A ham sandwich would be better than the current occupant of the White House. I do not accept him as the President.

June 18, 2010 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  15. Larry

I never liked Thompson when he was trying to be an actor/politician but that was a pretty good interview. Looks like he's wised up a bit.

June 18, 2010 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Joe

Wow, a book about giving Sarah Palin dance lessons.

June 18, 2010 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  17. Minnesotan

He came off a a nice guy on Stewart's show last night. Quite the opposite of the thuggish, Republican dolt with his head in the sand image he had while running for office.

June 18, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  18. Debbie from Arizona

During his run for the Republican Presidential nomination, I thought this guy was nothing but a stuffed shirt. After watching him on Stewart's show, I found I really like his sense of humor. I still think he would have made an awful President, but as a person my opinion of him went up several points. I think I'll buy his book.

June 18, 2010 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  19. Four and The Door

It might have worked out for him...

June 18, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  20. Bertina

Um really CNN you chose this one instance to have a Jon Stewart clip?

June 18, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. TEXIZZ

From the moment that Fred Thompson announced his candicy for the office of the President, he was my first choice. His record as a Senator proved that he clearly had the integrity, the will to serve the people and the leadership to serve the people of the United States. It was his reluctance play "politics as usual" that would not allow him to succeed.

June 18, 2010 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  22. Monrob

No sir, you failed because you played yourself and not your character on TV.

In reality YOU STUNK like a SKUNK!

June 18, 2010 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |