June 22nd, 2010

General apologizes for remarks critical of civilian officials

ALT TEXT Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, apologized early Tuesday for a magazine profile in which he and his staff appear to mock top civilian officials, including the vice president. (PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images/File)

(CNN) - Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, apologized early Tuesday for a magazine profile in which he and his staff appear to mock top civilian officials, including the vice president.

The article is scheduled to appear in Friday's edition of Rolling Stone.

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile. It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened," McChrystal said in a Pentagon statement. "Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard."

In the profile, author Michael Hastings writes that McChrystal and his staff had imagined ways of dismissing Vice President Joe Biden with a one-liner as they prepared for a question-and-answer session in Paris, France, in April. The general had grown tired of questions about Biden since earlier dismissing a counterterrorism strategy the vice president had offered.

"'Are you asking about Vice President Biden?' McChrystal says with a laugh. 'Who's that?'" Hastings writes.

"'Biden?' suggests a top adviser. 'Did you say: Bite Me?'"

Full story

Filed under: Stanley McChrystal
  1. Doraine Gordon

It's no wonder we can't win a war in Iraq or anywhere with people like this General running the show. It's good to see Obama call the General home. Kinda reminds me of when Truman called General McArthur to come back home. Won't these guys ever learn to keep their mouth shut. I don't like the General talking about Joe Biden. There is nothing wrong with Joe. He is a good VP and does a great job. So I guess we can look forward to seeing a new General in the middle east. How many does that make? I lost count.

June 22, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  2. Michael in Houston

I am certain that Rush, Hannity, Beck and many other republicans will support the Generals comments. They consider it as being a GREAT AMERICAN to diminsh THIS Commander in Chief as their flag waving patriotism is not extended to a democratic President.
    I assure you not one, not a single one of them will defend this President by distancing themselves from the Generals comments.
    Gutless.

June 22, 2010 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  3. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

When it comes to military strategy, it is time for this cretin to resign. I think the Obama administration has been very tolerant of McChrystal. He can always hook up with Ollie North and other worthless has beens.

June 22, 2010 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  4. Djinn

Time for early retirement or a posting with the National Guard in Wyoming.

June 22, 2010 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  5. RespectOthersAlways

Gen. McCrystal should step down! Mockery is the worst from of criticism! It is the ultimate embodiment of disrespect for the humanity and dignity of others. If McCrystal can organize such a mocking chracterization of Vice President Joe Biden, we can only imagine other silly and disrespectful things has this "leader of men" has encouraged. McCrystal lowers the standards way below what is acceptable. Honor demands resignation or firing!

June 22, 2010 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  6. RespectOthersAlways

Gen. McCrystal should step down! Mockery is the worst from of criticism! It is the ultimate embodiment of disrespect for the humanity and dignity of others. If McCrystal can organize such a mocking chracterization of Vice President Joe Biden, we can only imagine other silly and disrespectful things this "leader of men and women" has encouraged. McCrystal lowers the standards way below what is acceptable. Honor demands resignation or firing!

June 22, 2010 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Despite these questionable comments, how is he doing his military job? If he is doing what needs to be done and doing it well, then I guess that we should count that as poor judgment of what he said.

June 22, 2010 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  8. Jackie

Somehow your comments don't support that you lived your life with principles of personal honor and professional integrity. Instead it strikes me that you'll say whatever you think someone wants you to, in this case it was hot dogging for an interview. Your judgement was so bad that I can't understand how you attained the position you have and it scares me that there are more like you who are in positions that directly affect the safety of this country and people.

June 22, 2010 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  9. Get A Grip

Oh my....one should never have their own opinion unless of course it's the same as our 'Dear Leader'........I say keep General McChrystal and fire Obama......We certainly would be 101% better off.

June 22, 2010 08:34 am at 8:34 am |