June 23rd, 2010

South Carolina drama tops four runoffs on Tuesday

(CNN) – Voters in four states headed to the polls Tuesday, and in one of those states history was made:

South Carolina

South Carolina Republicans made state Rep. Nikki Haley their first female gubernatorial nominee, handing her an easy victory in her primary runoff race against U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett.

Haley just missed out on winning the nomination outright in the June 8 primary, capturing 49 percent of the vote in a four-candidate field. She was short of the 50 percent-plus-one needed to take the nomination.

Once facing long odds for the GOP nomination, Haley rose in the polls thanks in part to endorsements by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Results out of North Carolina, Mississippi and Utah, after the jump:
Full story

Filed under: 2010 • Mississippi • North Carolina • Utah
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------–

Naww. I wouldn't say Tighty-Whities Mittens and Flailin' Quittin' Palin were instrumental in her victory. It's more a result of well-placed attention getting innuendoes, followed by outright bigotted comments aimed at her and designed to solicit the empathy of the voters.

Good job GOP.

Your candidate still sucks though. Yet pitted against everyone else you can foist upon us, she's a beacon.

June 23, 2010 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  2. Washington DC Insider

I tired of the mudslinging going on in this campaigns. It sickens me that people would stoop to dirty politics to win a campaign. On a side note, I fear that 2012 may be an interesting years, because I for one am hoping to see Hillary Clinton run for President. I made a mistake with the current administration, and want to see a more even-keeled (oh God, I can't believe I just said that) one that I know we'd get from the Clintons. At least we'd know we would have an experienced leader in the White House.

Step aside Mr. President, and let someone else lead. There is no shame in following Rahm's lead and realizing you are way over your head. Do it for the good of our Nation.

June 23, 2010 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  3. Pragmatic

the GOP is celebrating ... but remember she is a "tea-party" candidate, not one of their "mainstream" ... wonder what Knotts is saying now ... ??

June 23, 2010 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  4. Angus McDugan

Hope this is a trend against negative campaigning.

June 23, 2010 09:35 am at 9:35 am |