June 23rd, 2010

Spitzer, Parker to host primetime CNN show

CNN announced Wednesday that Kathleen Parker and Eliot Spitzer will host its new 8 p.m. program.

Washington (CNN) - Former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and 2010 Pulitzer Prize winning columnist Kathleen Parker will co-host a new hour long CNN primetime news program starting in the fall as the nation prepares for the 2010 midterm election, the network announced Wednesday morning.

The yet-to-be-named “roundtable discussion” program will air at 8 p.m. ET replacing Campbell Brown.

“Other cable news channels force-feed viewers one narrow, predictable point of view; in contrast, CNN will be offering a lively roundup of all the best ideas – presented by two of the most intelligent and outspoken figures in the country,” Jon Klein, president of CNN/U.S., said in a statement released by the network. “Eliot and Kathleen are beholden to no vested interest – in fact, quite the opposite: they are renowned for taking on the most powerful targets and most important causes.”

Klein made the announcement in Wednesday’s network wide editorial conference call with CNN staff.

Parker, whose columns appear in over 400 newspapers twice a week, in April received the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. She describes herself as a “rational” conservative.

“As a veteran print journalist, I am appropriately respectful of the challenges posed by the medium,” said Parker. “But I'm thrilled by the opportunity to discuss the issues that matter to me —and that aren't heard often enough on television—in a conversation with one of the nation's most brilliant, fearless and original thinkers. With Eliot Spitzer as my co-host, Wall Street and Main Street will finally meet. It can't possibly be boring.”

Spitzer, a Democrat who resigned as governor in March 2008 after acknowledging visiting a prostitute, is a well respected political mind and a take-no-prisoners prosecutor who has been often referred to as the “Sheriff of Wall Street.”

“Kathleen is an extraordinary intellect whose sharp observations and wit are certain to resonate with viewers,” said Spitzer. “I look forward to working alongside her in a discussion that will inform, challenge, and entertain. I am grateful to CNN for the opportunity to co-host a show that will advance the discussion of the defining issues of our time.”

Filed under: CNN • Eliot Spitzer • Kathleen Parker • Popular Posts
  1. Mike in NYC

Spitzer must have some DNA-encoded connections to have pulled that political Lazarus trick.

And I assume "rational conservative" is someone who doesn't let those nasty social issues get in the way. They'll say "LGBT" on a regular basis, while admitting to being "troubled" about the AZ immigration law. In other words, just another liberal.

June 23, 2010 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. Barbara

I LOVE Cambell Brown.....I will not be watching CNN if they put stock in a lying degenerate like Spitzer. Come on CNN, you were a reputable station. Surely you can't be this hard up!

June 23, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. Joe in NJ

I can't believe CNN is giving that egotistical maniac Spitzer his own forum.

June 23, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. Richard Johnston

Congratulations Kathleen and Eliot. We'll now get intelligent commentary at a much needed time.

June 23, 2010 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. ja

it is amazing how some are rewarded for bad behavior, others are ostracized for life, only in America

June 23, 2010 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. Shoshana

I am very exited about this news and am looking forward to this new program. I have always been a great admirer of Mr. Spitzer an can only wish him and his family the very best. This team sounds to be the best of the best combination and promises to bring us some great primetime news. Congratulations to both.

June 23, 2010 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. ruth saperstein

I am greatly insulted by and disapointed in the judgement of CNN in hiring Eliot Spitzer.

I fully understand the need for high ratings to keep sponsors and be a profitable network. But what about ethics and high standards?

If one woman's protest counts, I will not be watching CNN.

June 23, 2010 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  8. Scott

Wow, a far left journalist and a disgraced former Democratic Governor as hosts..Oh yes, welcome to MSNBC 2.

June 23, 2010 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. john in Florida

where is Campbell Brown going? did she really contribute anything of importance to CBB?

June 23, 2010 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  10. Professionawriter

I will not watch Elliot Spitzer.

June 23, 2010 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  11. TonyH

A rational conservative and an irrational centrist who tried hiding his hypocrisy...

One more hour of CNN I won't be watching. C'mon, guys, get your programming house in order.

June 23, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  12. Pamela

After 20+ years of turning to CNN as a legitimate and respected news source, I am going elsewhere. Eliot Spitzer belongs on the trash heap of politicians who have audaciously betrayed their electorate by carrying the torch for a cause in one hand while fondling and groping with the other. Surely CNN could have paired a credible journalist like Parker with a legitimate political thinker and not Client No. 9? Farewell.

June 23, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  13. DJH

A right wing wingnut and a left wing sleazeball. Just what CNN needs.....another loser of a show (like Crossfire) where the debate between the two far ends of the political spectrum boils down to shouting at the top of their lungs, "Is too!" "Is not!" Don't expect anything good to come out of this pairing. They'll just be shooting for ratings so the big paychecks will keep coming.

June 23, 2010 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. nini

He has no credibility and we all know his a hypocrite, and a cheater and a lair , so are you telling me there was no one more qualified for the prime time lineup?

I guess they only criteria was to be an aggressive liberal.
    Wow! I
    wonder why?

June 23, 2010 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. Robert

Rational conservative? What's that?

June 23, 2010 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  16. me in NH

look forward to it.

always liked Spitzer – he was a great for NY

June 23, 2010 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  17. Myron

How is Spitzer just immediately accepted back into respectability?

June 23, 2010 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  18. Jim Bloor

Ugh! Sunk to a new low there, eh CNN? I'm just trying to figure out who's sleeping with Rupert Murdoch, there in Atlanta? Anyway; this is the nail in the coffin for me.... MSNBC; here I come! :)

June 23, 2010 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. Chessnutz of Liverpool NY

Spitzer is a criminal who belongs in jail, not someone making millions in salary from CNN.

June 23, 2010 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Henry 1234

This will boost CNN's ratings out of the tank.

June 23, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. Aneiry Batista

Looking forward to it !!!

June 23, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. mike licavoli

I'm ready to change from the Oreilly magazine show.

June 23, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. Kathy Starr

Eliot Spitzer?? Give me a break. I have do desire to watch him!

June 23, 2010 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  24. W Smith

You know, this might actually work out for you CNN. Good choice of hosts.

June 23, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  25. contrasts

so rather than try for respectable you give us gutter rat and Pulitzer Prize winning columnist Kathleen Parker

June 23, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |