June 24th, 2010

Unemployment benefits extension nixed for nearly 1 million

New York (CNNMoney.com) – Nearly a million people have lost their unemployment benefits because the Senate failed for the third time Thursday to extend the deadline to file for this safety net.

Hoping to overcome deficit concerns, the Senate trimmed down the bill yet again on Wednesday night so that it would only increase the deficit by $33.3 billion over 10 years, instead of $55.1 billion. The main changes were to scale back additional Medicaid funding for the states and to reallocate some stimulus and Defense Department spending.

The legislation failed by a 57-41 vote.

The bill will now be pulled, according to two Democratic leadership aides. This leaves many groups in flux, including the jobless who have lost their safety net, companies who are waiting to learn what tax breaks are extended, and governors who were counting on the additional funds to balance their budgets.

The grab-bag legislation pushes back the deadline to file for federal unemployment benefits until the end of November, renews expired tax provisions, lengthens a small business lending program and adds to infrastructure investments.

Full Story:

Filed under: Senate • unemployment
  1. thor

But we have been told over and over again that we are in an economic recovery so why do we need to extend unemployment benefits?

June 24, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  2. Republicans Are The American Taliban

The Taliban is happy we lost a bid for the olympics....and happy that millions of Americans have lost their unemployment benefits. Remember unemployed citizens of Arizona, that John McCain has voted to let you die!

June 24, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  3. ajax

James Carville said in an earlier interview on CNN that the job picture will improve greatly by Nov. 2012 in time for the reelection of Obama.Americans are you willing to give him that much time to straighten the economy out.I think we were told that if we passed his stimulus bill unemployment would top out at 8 %.oops.......????

June 24, 2010 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  4. sue baier

my husband worked for 25 years in a welding shop, he has been out of work for two years, he has applied to fast food places, shops and misc jobs. no one has called him. myself I worked for 20 years in a plastic shop that closed down three years ago, they offer TRA for me to go to college, I graduated in 2009 with a associates degree, I can not find employment for that so I went back manufacture jobs, I had to sign up with temp services for that (I did everyone of them) so I was working weeks here and there, we are both out of unemployment. My husband is pushing his lawn mower around to get some cash. Our house is in foreclosure, we have sign up for social services, and we go to free food depots. But in July my plates on our one car run out and we have no insurance and no money for any of it.

June 24, 2010 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  5. HELP!

The "small people" need help too Republicans. Why dont they see that? Why do people keep voting for them? They will never be on the side of the working man. People please remember that at the polls this Nov...

June 24, 2010 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  6. Tom

Hey unemployed- looks like the Republicans don't care about you and think you're lazy.

June 24, 2010 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  7. DENNA

I'll just bet those overfed Rethug gnomes are responsible for this. If you are unemployed now you won't even have this to see you through. Remember the Party of No in NOvember and vote NO. The Republican party, through Bush, caused this mess we are in, now they don't even want to help the people who are hurting. Thanks for nothing.

June 24, 2010 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. JR

When I pray GOD, I am not sure if I have to ask HIM to protect me against the Devil or against the GOP.
    Both are equally nightmare for middle class and poors in this country.

June 24, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  9. Jeff Spangler

Since the Cingress can't do jack anymore, is it too late in the first term of a one-off one-termer to start some C-SPAN entertainment with an impeachment diversion?

June 24, 2010 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  10. Discernment

BUT THE PATHETIC PART OF THIS WHOLE MATTER IS . . .

The same Christian Conservative GOP leaders like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and FAUX News that has threatened Republican Senators and Congressmen to block unemployment benefits for over 1-million Americans . . . .

. . . . are the same Christian Conservative GOP leaders who will 'easily' bamboozle 1-million unemployed Americans to vote against their own interest, and put the same Republicans back in office, even though they are the ones that started this national economic crisis.

June 24, 2010 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. Roger

I don't understand....Since when in the U.S Senate does a majority vote mean 60 votes for anything. This is the most rediculous system.
    Why is it I don't remember every vote in the Bush administration at 60 votes. I guess the party of NO uses a new math.

June 24, 2010 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |