June 24th, 2010

Unemployment benefits extension nixed for nearly 1 million

New York (CNNMoney.com) – Nearly a million people have lost their unemployment benefits because the Senate failed for the third time Thursday to extend the deadline to file for this safety net.

Hoping to overcome deficit concerns, the Senate trimmed down the bill yet again on Wednesday night so that it would only increase the deficit by $33.3 billion over 10 years, instead of $55.1 billion. The main changes were to scale back additional Medicaid funding for the states and to reallocate some stimulus and Defense Department spending.

The legislation failed by a 57-41 vote.

The bill will now be pulled, according to two Democratic leadership aides. This leaves many groups in flux, including the jobless who have lost their safety net, companies who are waiting to learn what tax breaks are extended, and governors who were counting on the additional funds to balance their budgets.

The grab-bag legislation pushes back the deadline to file for federal unemployment benefits until the end of November, renews expired tax provisions, lengthens a small business lending program and adds to infrastructure investments.

Full Story:

Filed under: Senate • unemployment
  1. pennywizer101

if they could cut some of the foodstamps from reciptants like 40 dollars each that could pay for it. the people can well make up for it in the lost of foodstamps by clipping coupons.. i myself has turn 155 dollar food purchase and only paid 55 dollars... if i can do it.. ANYONE can. I know it sounds heartless to take from others to help us.. but i say its time to to start sharing what some have with the one who dont... US HURTING UNEMPLOYED AMERICANS wont be able to survive without it... YOU Cant get any help from the government if you dont have an address to send the paperwork to. PLEASE HELP US>> IF YOU CAN!! YOU figure.. Manufactures makes the coupons, the newspapers distributes the coupons, the stores accept the coupons, the consumers purchase food using coupon,,, hence JOBS, ECONOMY STEADY, EVERYONE SATISFIED!!!!!!!!! THINK about it..;)

June 24, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  2. Dan, TX

I feel very sorry for the people who have been out of work for a long time and will be in dire straights without the renewed unemployment benefits. But many of these folks are the same people who are mad at Washington for the big deficit, so they'll be OK with not extending the benefits. I think most of them will be happy we aren't extending the benefits.

June 24, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  3. Anonymous

What are you going to do? Don't forsake us?

June 24, 2010 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  4. Nelson Torres

These Republicans senators are causing a lot of pain to hard working families. We have to get them out

June 24, 2010 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. amy..brentwood, ny

I am one of the 99ers and I have no money at all except my unemployment. I have been unemployed for almost 2 yrs and have sent out well over 50o resumes...it seems that jobs want entry level employees not the people with experience...I truly don't know how I am going to survive!!

I worked 20 yrs on one job, company downsized, got another job and kept it moving. How dare these republicans think like it's welfare when we worked this money. if their Pres Bush had not brought this recession on our country maybe i would still be working....

June 24, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  6. M.Jarvis

I don't understand how anyone in government could vote no to this bill. When the banks went under we helped them. The Taxpayers will pay for that. When the car companies were going under we helped them. The unemployment benefits are for taxpayers!

I just don't understand how they can commit to something and just decide not to follow thru. If I did that I would be in trouble. Tell me how fair that this week I didn't get my unemployment benefit I had know idea that it was not going to be there. When I called Unemployment and asked where it was they said the charts say you have more weeks left but the government is not funding those weeks? Now I have bills to pay and grocerys to purchase. I am not on other programs. What am I supposed to do. I have looked for work and I have had a few interviews but do you realize how many people apply to just one opening?

They are hurting the voters and they need to remember that! We will remember who voted yes and no when we go to the polls!

June 24, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  7. Jim

Nice work, Republicans. "What's good for Americans is what's last on our mind!" is clearly your motto...

June 24, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  8. Where's the laser beam?

Apparently more jobs are being created as we speak.
    Any day now...

June 24, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  9. rob

will i wouldnt believe any poll done by nbc against a GOP anyhow nbc is obama network like cnn was clinton news network before

June 24, 2010 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  10. alan

I have an idea. How about extending unemployment benefits and cut 30B from other parts of the government. Lets stop increasing the deficit even a nickle.

June 24, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. Cynthia - Arkansas

The Republicans are the biggest hypocrites to ever come down the pike. NOW all they worry about is the deficit. Where were they during the last 8 year? They were voting for every tax break and payout to their corporate sponsors, that's where. They spent like there was no tomorrow. But you let President Obama try to do something to help the little guy and they vote a resounding NO! What a bunch creeps. I can't beleive people are dumb enough to keep electing them. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE FOR YOU?

June 24, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  12. LacrosseMom(the real one)

We can thank the Party of NO. Remember, America, when you go to vote in NOvember that the Republicans voted against continuing unemployment benefits, even though ALL those unemployed PAID for it in advance!

June 24, 2010 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  13. AndyG

The legislation failed by a 57-41 vote.

Let's say that again

The legislation failed by a 57-41 vote

Nearly a million people just lost their unemployment benefits because of a minority of US senators.

This is completely insane.

June 24, 2010 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  14. phoenix86

Wait until Obamacare, then America will really see cuts in unemployment and medicare benefits.

Change you bought into.

June 24, 2010 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  15. ATL Guy

Now people are going to feel what the Republicans mean by no more spending. We are going to fall back into the recession so much more quickly if you just cut off all spending. The Republicans can care less because the government pays their salaries.

June 24, 2010 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  16. Anonymous

If Senate is trying to decrease the deficit, they whittle at unemployment compensation, medicare, health care and social security. But the military just got a 8% raise.
    They also voted themselves a raise which was vetoed by Obama.
    Schizofrenia double standard.

June 24, 2010 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  17. Shannon

Republicans are for big business, big oil, and big banks. What did you expect.

June 24, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  18. Dan A

You can thank the Republicans for screwing the American worker that has lost his/her job !! They defend and coddle BP and fill their own pockets with oil money and show their concern for the average American who has lost their job by voting down the extension of unemployment benefits !!!!!~!!. REMEMBER THIS PEOPLE WHEN THESE SLEAZEBALLS COME UP FOR RE-ELECTION AND VOTE THEM OUT OF WASHINGTON AND FAST !!!!!!

June 24, 2010 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  19. austerityatitsbest

Good, its about time that we stop the spending!

June 24, 2010 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  20. Anonymous

What should we do now? The jobs are scarce, the applicants are desperate and there seems like no way out of this mess. Politicians are so out of touch. They haven't a clue.

June 24, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  21. vera 'k madison, tn

June 24, 2010 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  22. GI Joe

Maybe we'll put some of them on unemployment in November. Tho it wouldn't matter because the still get money from big oil, big insurance, big banks, etc.

June 24, 2010 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  23. ZB

The nation has been in an economic crisis and once again Republicans fiddle as the nation continues to be buried under years of their policies, mismanagement, mistakes and incompetence. Our constitution protects people's right to be stupid and ignorant but why do Republicans have to exercise that right all the time.

All they seem to know how to do is shoot their mouth off but not how to actually do anything with other then give tax brakes to the rich and protect the right of big companies to exploit our people and our environment. zb

June 24, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  24. Tina in PA

President Obama,

I can't find a job, I managed to pay June's rent, there is no more unemployment weeks for me, what am I suppose to do. Just be come homeless?

This is why I don't like the republicans. Republicans give all their energy to big corporations, ( BP is being shook down) and they love funding wars at any cost (5 billion a month) but when it comes to helping the people of this country they turn there backs every time. And just because America has a democratic and black president it's all out war on how can we go against everything President Obama tries to do to help the people of this country. Anytime you say no to the people of this country and yes to wars and big business it's all about money and lining your own pockets. If the republicans are not in it to help the people of this country lets vote them out. All they do is complain but have no answers, unless it's to help big business of course.

I live in delaware county PA if any one out there has a job for me let me know.

June 24, 2010 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  25. Rebecca S.

The republicans do not care about working americans. Those of us who are not lucky enough to have money up the ass simply don't matter. Now for millions who are depending on checks each week that are only a few hundered dollars, they going to lose that. Thanks republican senetors. I never wish bad things on others, but your fucking with peoples lives Karma is a bitch..Each and every single person who voted no is denying american citizens the money needed to live. Its not like people don't want to work. What do you do if you can't get hired? If your senator is voting no, send them an email. Don't give them your vote. Let your voice be heard if your outraged.

June 24, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |