June 24th, 2010

Obama takes Medvedev to Ray's Hell Burger

Washington (CNN) - There was more evidence Thursday that First Lady Michelle Obama's healthier eating campaign has yet to win over the President.

Mr. Obama treated visiting Russian President Dmitri Medvedev to an all American lunch at Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, Va.

In the bi-lat spirit, the two Presidents shared an order of fries.

For the "main course," President Obama ate a cheddar cheeseburger, topped with lettuce, tomato and 'bread and butter' pickles. He washed it all down with bottled iced tea.

Mr. Medvedev passed up lettuce and pickles for jalapenos and mushrooms, then tossed back the all American drink, Coca-cola.

A large pool of Russian and American press tagged along on what was an unscheduled lunch stop.

The President apparently enjoys the beef at Ray's. Last year he made another unscheduled lunch stop there with Vice President Biden. He also chowed down on a basic cheddar cheese burger and a side of tater puffs.

President Medvedev is in town for bi-lateral meetings as part of a broad effort to "reset" Russia's relationship with the United States, and to discuss economic concerns.

Filed under: Dmitry Medvedev • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. A little sad

That meal sounds so Clintonesque. :-)

June 24, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. Bruce

He loves getting into bed with the enemy. He just can't help himself.

June 24, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  3. David

Nothing like diplomacy over a burger.

Wow I'm hungry.

June 24, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. independent

This president does more for world peace, economic stability and military preparedness in Afghanistan on his lunch time than most Republicans do their entire lives.

Way to go President Obama.

June 24, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Great American Diplomacy in action. I may head up I-64 to go check out Ray's myself.

June 24, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. Big George in Big D

Aaaaaw – now ain't that just quaint? Who gives a big R's A? I'm sure Nobama had his after eating smoke too! Gee, a president that wife is on a health kick and he just can't seem to give up smoking. I quite after 45 years! What's his problem? (many)

June 24, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  7. Suzy

What, no post-meal jaunt to the local bondage strip club like the Republicans?

June 24, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Debbie

Come on republicans, lets hear it!

Dam if he does and Dam if he doesn't!

June 24, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. Jerry

What so unusal about Obama having lunch with his boss.

June 24, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. Sniffit

Clearly, this means Obama is plotting to destroy America, turn us into a socialist nation and force us all to worship Allah. Just ask Glush Limbeck.

June 24, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  11. Brandon V. in DFW

Gotta love unscheduled lunch stops. It reminds me of the movie the American President when the president jumped out to run into a flower shop to buy some flowers. I hope they had fun.

June 24, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  12. Threat

What the???? Shouldn't he be swimming down in the Gulf trying to "plug the damn hole" with his bare hands????

He should not be eating, sleeping, or drinking until that this is plugged!!

There.....I said before someone else did.

June 24, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. Slick William

Too funny,

I wonder if they both like their burgers RED on the inside?

June 24, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. ajax

Another example of eating properly by our president.Probably ,found a hidding place and smoked a cig.to help him make it through the day.After all it is tough.being the man......!!!!

June 24, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. Pat in Omaha

Sounds like a great place...next time I'm in DC I'm going to look up Ray's place and try a burger there! Has he ever taken Michelle there?

June 24, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  16. T

Yea, he eats...........

June 24, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  17. Shirley in California

Personally, the name of that place would turn me off. Hell is nothing to be taken lightly but enjoy the lunch Mr. President and Mr. Medvedev.

June 24, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  18. Peace

Eating unhealthy once in a while is not harmful. It becomes hazardous when one makes it the habit.

June 24, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. BB

I love our President!!!
    We've never had a better one!!!

GO OBAMA 2012!!!!!!

June 24, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  20. GOP is bad for America

Well, I eat a very health-conscious diet, but I occasionally "splurge" on something that I would not normally eat. Especially when we happen to have company in town :) I am sure President Obama is not any different. Eating a health-conscious diet does not mean that you can NEVER eat a burger and fries - you just don't do it very often. Actually, I have found that after you stay away from that type of food for a while, it starts to not sound so good anymore.

June 24, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. stevegee

How appropriate ... Since Obama took office, the country's been going to Hell Burger in a Handbasket.

June 24, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  22. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

I remember the rallying cry under Bush the younger, "Where's the beef?" Sadly, there wasn't anything but attacks on the constitution, tax cuts for the wealthy, unnecessary wars, and giving big oil the keys to the country.

June 24, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  23. Mesa Mick

That's cool – Arguably two of the most powerful men on the planet "just chillin".

Great photo op and PR, but just try and imagine what the world would be like if our two countries could form a common bond and link political, economic and natural resources like the US and the UK or the US and Canada have.

Granted that is a bit Polly-Anna like but things certainly would be different that's for sure – And for the most part none of the changes would be bad...

But who knows, the US elected a person of color and the Berlin Wall came down so anything is possible...

June 24, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. sifto77

whoop-tee-do–like I care about his high-fat diet!–all he does is eat and play and make up dumb speeches....

June 24, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. norma

Love it! YUM! I hope the Russian president enjoyed the American culture and cuisine!

June 24, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |