June 25th, 2010

GOP's YouCut program hits 1 million votes

One million votes have been cast through the House GOP's YouCut website.
One million votes have been cast through the House GOP's YouCut website.

Washington (CNN) - One million votes have been cast through the House GOP's YouCut website, House Republican Whip Eric Cantor announced Friday.

YouCut, a site launched May 12, allows the public to vote on which programs they think the government should eliminate. Each week, five spending cuts are proposed on the GOP Whip's website. The proposal that receives a majority of votes during a particular week is then brought to the House floor for an up-or-down vote.

"YouCut is an unprecedented online project and the public response has exceeded all of our expectations, to the point where even on the local and state level, versions of the program have organically sprouted," Cantor spokesman Brad Dayspring told CNN in an e-mail. "Technological advancements have rapidly transformed the way that we communicate, and Eric Cantor understands how important it is for Republicans to embrace that and engage with a public who is eager to participate."

Cantor wanted to focus the national conversation on federal spending, Dayspring said. Instead of letting the topic become stale, the GOP Whip created YouCut in order to give people a chance to become engaged on the issue on an ongoing basis.

Related: House Republicans unveil initiative to target gov't spending

Filed under: House Republicans
  1. Limbaugh is a liberal

Where, oh, where were these 'fiscally responsible' republicans for the previous administration's eight years? Oh right, running up record deficits and making excuse why federal deficit spending is actually good...

June 25, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  2. Keith in Austin

Hopefully, this is a template for future action as soon as we put the Liberal spendaholics in the unemployment line come November. 4 and the door for Barry thereafter!

June 25, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  3. Chipster

This is truly funny because I recently attention a Townhall meeting with Rep. Pitts and the room was filled with Pitts supporter demanding cuts in programs. They went on and on about wasteful government programs......and then – one by one the each explained why they needed more government funding for unemployment, job training, farm subsidies, college tuition for their kids, "don't close the National Parks!", more government food inspectors, highway project funding, small business loans.....I could go on and on but I think you get the picture.

Oh, yes – and don't you dare cut their Social Security or Medicare, which they don't see as government run healthcare. Very curious.

June 25, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  4. AmandainTN

I wonder what projects which directly benefit Cantor's constituents he has proposed cutting. I'd like to be shown wrong, but my guess is none.

June 25, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  5. DENNA

No website needed for this. Just cut the salaries of all of the congressmen and the senate and make them pay for their own health care. Cut off any allowances they get and let them make due like the rest of America does. A little living like the 'small people' may make both sides of the aisle, especially the Rethugs, more sympathetic to the American people. I understand the Rethugs got went on a binder and cut off unemployment to the long-term unemployed. Way to spit in America's face. I can only hope that some of the people left hanging are loyal Repub groupies. That would be poetic justice.

June 25, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  6. roro

What really needs to be cut is for the Party of No to stop cutting off any progress in the Congress. They are holding up legislation that needs to be passed, and are behaving like toddlers having a tantrum because they didn't get what they wanted. Real mature, old white guys!

June 25, 2010 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  7. Christopher Good

So, I checked out the website and was about to vote on something when it asked me for my email address. I am not going open myself to republicand drivel. I pride myself on being a middle class independent though I admit that I often vote democrate simply because of them are the lesser of two evil. Anyway, after canceling my vote I checked out other measures that won and I found that week two was the "elimination of federal employee pay raises." Now in a nut shell the website claims this would save the federal government 30 billion dollars by eliminating a 3.4% pay raise that federal civilian employees will recieve. Umm, hold on a second. 3.4%... my pay raise last year was 2.8% and the highest in the company for a "civilian employee" as it were (I work for a telecommunications company, civilian employee constitutes non-executive and non-manager positions) was 5%. A 3.4% raise does not seem like such a bad thing. Here's a suggestion for Mr. Cantor to cut government spending... if we cut the amount that senators and representatives who are already super rich (which is all of them mind you) by say... 20% how much money would the federal government save?

June 25, 2010 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  8. 66Biker

Why am I not surprised that I haven't seen any mention of cutting the funding for anything important to Republicans on there? Could it be because there isn't anything important to Republicans on there? Come on you guys, this is the best idea you've had in years! Don't blow it by being your usual party happy one sided selves. I know being open minded is really difficult for you (and politicians in general), but how about trying it once in awhile? America needs a solid repair job done, and it needs it NOW!

June 25, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. Les Cleveland

What I want to know is why the politions can vote themselves a 4000 dollar raise but can"t the seniors a cost of living raise for social security where"s the respect that"s what I want to know

June 25, 2010 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  10. Kim mpls, mn

Is this just wasteing time at it's best?

Come on Cantor let's do something "good" for the people. Oh that's right you didn't do anything good running up to the 2008 election and now you're on the outside looking in .... we will see if you learned anything, better yet, wether we the voters believe you learned anything. Oh I am sooo looking forward to this fall lets start early!

June 25, 2010 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  11. g

his paycheck and health care and pension should be the first to go

June 25, 2010 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  12. John PA

Wow....they must be so proud to finally be playing with the "Internets"; how very hip of the GOP! Maybe the slogan should be changed from "you cut" to "you tax" so we can make their hair stand on end thinking they'd have to part paying up for the wars they started; not to mention the oil cleanup. Drill on, morons!

June 25, 2010 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  13. key

What the heck is this. They really have lost their minds.

June 25, 2010 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  14. independent

The GOP wants smaller government at any cost. This will mean fewer regulators for us, lower taxes for them.

What about votes on programs needed or needed to be expanded?

Which programs have been voted for cuts up to now?

June 25, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  15. Alex in Wisconsin

seriously, 1 million votes on 5 or 6 topics is pathetic and not really news worthy. that breaks down to at best, 200,000 votes per topic and thats assuming that no-one voted more than once. And if they were serious about cutting paychecks of the federal government, they should set an example and start with their own. I bet if Republicans gave up half of their paycheck and instead put it towards the deficit, either the democrats would follow suit, or they would surge even higher in the polls, either way, it would be win win politically. So why don't they do it?

June 26, 2010 12:10 am at 12:10 am |