June 27th, 2010

Justice Ginsburg's husband dies of cancer complications

Martin Ginsburg was the outgoing, jovial opposite of his soft-spoken, diminutive wife, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Washington (CNN) - Martin Ginsburg, husband of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, has died of cancer at age 78.

A statement from the Supreme Court said Ginsburg died Sunday at his Washington home, due to complications from metastatic cancer. The court said a private ceremony will be held at Arlington National Cemetery, but no date was given.

Ginsburg, known as Marty to his friends and family, was the outgoing, jovial opposite of his soft-spoken, diminutive wife, but the couple maintained a strong, happy marriage over 56 years.

Their wedding anniversary was four days ago. The Supreme Court will wrap up its work for the term Monday, and recess for the summer. Justice Ginsburg was on the bench as recently as Thursday as rulings were announced.

Updated: 4:49 p.m.

Full story

1. Zoe

Peace be with the Ginsberg family. So sorry for your loss.

June 27, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  2. VP in Gainesville

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Justice Ginsburg and the immediate family. While you're praying, say a prayer for those in government and elected positions. Amen.

June 27, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  3. Happy Right Winger

I guess Justice Ginsberg and her husband were fighting cancer at the same time. So sorry to hear he has lost his fight. Fifty-six years of marriage is such a rare accomplishment these days. My heart is with the family.

June 27, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  4. Joyce

Your Honor –

Sincerest condolences on your loss.

Joyce

June 27, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. Alex

On behald of our family, may I offer Justice Ginsburg and her family our condolences on your loss. Obviously 56 years of marriage is both a feat and commentable beyond many things we take for granted these days. I can only hope and pray my wife and I can share love and good fortune for that many years. May God Bless the entire Ginsburg family this in diffuclt time.

June 27, 2010 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  6. Tarl

Justice Ginsburg, please know that there is an Afterlife and that all your dear husband has shed is his physical body. He has now stepped into his eternal spiritual body as we all must at our appointed time. There is no more pain and suffering and he is still with you. One day we will all join our beloved when we cross over. In the meantime, try not to speak of him in the past tense as he is still very much in the present in his new body of light. Some people may try to suppress this information but it is as real as the life we are now living as there is no "death" so the Truth must be known. Death is but an illusion. So, be Strong Justice Ginsburg, and know that you are loved in this country and elsewhere. Above all else, your husband loves you always! May God Be Always With You.

June 27, 2010 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  7. Lesa

My condolences to my favorite justice and her family.

June 27, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  8. Kev

So sorry to hear your lose. God be with you and keep you strong because only time can heal the lose of a love one.

June 27, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  9. rcg

May the GOD of Israel bountifully bless and comfort Justice Ginsburg.

June 27, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  10. S Callahan

I'm sorry for your loss. You sacraficed much in caring for him. Bless you. May the arms of angels give you comfort and the Love of God be all around you.

June 27, 2010 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. Jack Cohan

I am so so sorry for your loss...you and your family are in my thoughts and in my prayers...

June 27, 2010 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  12. D.D. North Carolina

Sorry for your loss Ma'am.

June 27, 2010 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. Neil the carpenter

My sincerest condolences to justice Ginsberg.

June 27, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  14. Edith N

I am sorry to hear of your loss Justice Ginsberg. It is like losing half of yourself. May our Lord bless the soul of your husband Marty and keep watch over you.

June 27, 2010 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. Cassandra

Praying for you and your family. I'm glad you got to spend one last wedding anniversary together.

June 27, 2010 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  16. Gtown Law Graduate

Professor Ginsburg was a legend in the tax world and known to be an excellent professor of Tax Law. Condolences to his wife and their children.

June 27, 2010 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  17. Michael Borik

Our prayers with Ginsburg family

June 27, 2010 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  18. jmr

Best wishes to Justice Ginsberg and her family.

June 27, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  19. Rick Elsie

As a cancer survivor, I know the tough time. You have my blessings and my condolences.

June 27, 2010 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  20. Sofritico

Stay strong. We still need you.

June 27, 2010 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |