June 27th, 2010

Justice Ginsburg's husband dies of cancer complications

Martin Ginsburg was the outgoing, jovial opposite of his soft-spoken, diminutive wife, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Washington (CNN) - Martin Ginsburg, husband of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, has died of cancer at age 78.

A statement from the Supreme Court said Ginsburg died Sunday at his Washington home, due to complications from metastatic cancer. The court said a private ceremony will be held at Arlington National Cemetery, but no date was given.

Ginsburg, known as Marty to his friends and family, was the outgoing, jovial opposite of his soft-spoken, diminutive wife, but the couple maintained a strong, happy marriage over 56 years.

Their wedding anniversary was four days ago. The Supreme Court will wrap up its work for the term Monday, and recess for the summer. Justice Ginsburg was on the bench as recently as Thursday as rulings were announced.

Updated: 4:49 p.m.

Full story

1. CareFree

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.....I'm hoping that you will stay on the Court & be the champion of the remaining women on the Court. We are still in the minority, and certainly need our champions in what is turning out to be a continuous shift to the Right, and not toward what the Founders wanted to make available to all.

June 27, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. GI Joe

Sorry for your loss Justice Ginsberg.

June 27, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. ANGY

Condolences to the Ginsburg family.

June 27, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. Hendrik

Our best to you. These must be and are difficult times.

June 27, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. A keen observer

I extend my condolences to Justice Ginsburg and her family.

June 27, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Peace be with the Ginsburg family, my prayers are with you.

June 27, 2010 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  7. ib

Really feel sorry for her; it's tough to lose your soul mate.

June 27, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  8. Steve (the real one)

Sorry to hear. Stay strong!

June 27, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. JWN

Peace and Love

June 27, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  10. Chispter

My condolences to Justice Ginsburg, we must find a cure for cancer in every form it takes. It touches almost everyone's life. Congratulations on 56 years of marriage. May those memories sustain and comfort you. God Bless.

June 27, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. JGR

My sympathy for your family, Justice Ginsberg. God bless you and your family.

June 27, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. greenfish

Sad news. Marty Ginsburg was a brilliant, funny guy.

June 27, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  13. John

Our thoughts and prayers are with Justice Ginsberg and her family at this time of loss.

June 27, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  14. fbysea

Diminutive, surely only in size. You are a very impressive lady and a very classy credit to your office. So sorry for your loss.

June 27, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  15. Frenchbuggler

sorry to hear this news...Much sympathy to Mrs. Ginsburg.

June 27, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  16. Phillip

What very sad news. Many prayers will be needed to ease her grief.

June 27, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  17. Jen

My condolences to the entire family.

June 27, 2010 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  18. normajean

Dear Mrs. Ginsberg, It's always painful to hear of someones family loss. We send our condolences with hope for the rest of your family to be your strength at this time. I say this {with a slight smile} that I truly admire any woman who can live with a man for 56 years .That takes courage...

June 27, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  19. AmyinOaktown

Very sad, especially as Judge Ginsberg herself has been battling cancer for several years.....condolences to the Ginsberg family.

June 27, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  20. Susu

My condolences on your loss.

June 27, 2010 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  21. R Flores

My sincere condolences to You and Your Family.

June 27, 2010 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  22. jamesnyc

My condolences to the family. I am glad that got to celebrate another anniversary...

June 27, 2010 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  23. redhed

Losing your other half leaves you so lonely and sad. I am sorry for Ms Ginsberg and her family.

June 27, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  24. Cheryl

Sorry to hear this news Justice Ginsburg. You have my prayers.

June 27, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  25. mahnomen

Happy Trails to Marty and all Spirits' care to you, sweet woman and kind being. I am sorry you must suffer this loss after all the good you have done, but none of us are exempt. May you rest and find peace, may the sun shine upon you and warm your aching heart.

June 27, 2010 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |