June 29th, 2010

Boehner: Dems 'snuffing out' America I grew up in

House minority leader John Boehner is stepping up criticism of his Democratic colleagues.

(Updates with Democratic response)

(CNN) – House Minority Leader John Boehner is stepping up criticism of his Democratic colleagues, telling the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that "they're snuffing out the America that I grew up in."

Boehner's comments are the latest indication the Ohio Republican is aggressively setting his sights on the November elections as it appears increasingly possible his party could take control of the House.

"Right now, we've got more Americans engaged in their government than at any time in our history," he told the paper in comments published Tuesday. "There's a political rebellion brewing, and I don't think we've seen anything like it since 1776."

But Boehner, who most certainly would become speaker next year should the GOP take control of the chamber, stopped short of predicting Republicans will gain the 40 seats necessary to oust Democrats from control.

"The American people have written off the Democrats," he said. "They're willing to look at us again."

The top House Republican also previewed the GOP's top priorities should he take control of the speaker's gavel, including a repeal of the recently passed health care legislation.

"We are going to do everything we can to make sure that this law and this program never really takes effect," Boehner said. "One option would be to repeal the $534 billion in Medicare cuts, which pay for more than half of the law's provisions. "They're going to need money from the Congress to hire these 20,000-plus bureaucrats they need to hire to make this program work. They're not going to get one dime from us."

Boehner also suggested raising the social security retirement age to 70 for those who have at least 20 years left before retirement as a possible way to finance the ongoing wars

"We need to look at the American people and explain to them that we're broke," he said. "If you have substantial non-Social Security income while you're retired, why are we paying you at a time when we're broke? We just need to be honest with people."

In a statement released Tuesday, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Chris Van Hollen said Boehner's comments are "a wake-up call to the American people about the dangers of turning back the clock to a Republican Congress."

Filed under: John Boehner • Popular Posts
  1. No is not the ANSWER!!!

@Get A Grip June 29th, 2010 12:36 pm ET
    Vote these American destroying Dems OUT!***GRIP this (We will Vote out the party of NO in November****YOU BETCHA!!!!

June 29, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. Barbara Independent in NY

Well, John, the Republicans are mostly responsible for snuffing out the America I grew up in. When I grew up, we were told that we would always have jobs. Well the Republicans made sure that it was easy for corporations to outsource our jobs. So much for the America that we grow up in. Get over it John! You still have a job!

June 29, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  3. FoCo

This guy is the behind of any animal. The America I grew up with doesn't exist largely due to men like Boner. When I was growing up I got a quality education – doesn't exist anymore. I grew up with a country that was on the leading edge of medicine – no longer exists. I grew up before the Reagan years before debt and greed were looked on as being someing to strive for. No, the country I grew up with doesn't exist. I don't believe it will ever exist again.

June 29, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  4. Unbelievable

I'm amazed how many people on this blog are equating the Democrats with the Civil Rights Act… I hate to break it to you, but it was the Democrats who held up the passage of Civil Rights Act:

The Senate passed the bill by a 73 to 27 roll call vote. Out of that, 21 Democrats voted against passage while only 6 Republicans voted against.

Between the House and Senate together, 117 Democrats voted against the Civil Rights Act, and only 40 Republicans voted against it. In the Senate, 69% of Democrats voted for the Civil Rights Act, and a whopping 82% of Republicans voted FOR it.
    Before Byrd died, the Dems had the distinction of being the only political party that had a high ranking member who was once a Grand Kleagle in the Ku Klux Klan.

Wanna go back further in history? Fine: Lincoln stood by the Republican Party platform in 1860, which stated that slavery should not be allowed to expand. The Republicans' original founders were opposed to slavery and called for the repeal of the Kansas-Nebraska and the Fugitive Slave Law.

Not sure how the progressives/Dems co-opted the whole civil rights movement when history has always proven that they've been on the wrong side of that issue. I think it's high time the Dems found some other lie to shove down people's throats. Or at least get educated on the facts.

June 29, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. AmericanMe

Doesn't he get it? America is tired of the same old politics where the people are forgotten! To BHOABD (your user name is too long): get a real life and face reality! If GOP party members are anything like you, they don't have a chance! Make an intelligent comment next time pardner! You are the communist! You will probably be arrested with the other 11 soon!

June 29, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. Who Cares?

Sorry that you can't own Slaves anymore John!!

June 29, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. Eric in Manhattan

Listening to this man ramble on, it's apparent that the Republicans are mired in the past, and PREFER it that way. To be a Republican, according to Boehner, is to dream of the ways things used to be. Nostalgia is most often found in those who no longer can live in the real world because they are either out of touch, or just don't understand that progress is the way of the world. These obstructionist Republicans should be ashamed of themselves. Wake up people! We can see right through you (even though you're painted orange).

June 29, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. Jeffrey

The America I grew up in consisted of Reaganomics. First, reduce government spending. The Republicans (W) got us into two wars without figuring out how to pay for them. Second, Reduce income tax and capital gains tax rates. Third, reduce government regulation of the economy. They were done, and now we have the worst economy since the Great Depression.

I was born during the Carter administration, but obviously don't remember him. But I do know we've had 8 years of Reagan, 4 of Bush I, 8 years of Clinton, 8 of Bush II and now 2 of President Obama. I've seen enough to know the Republicans are not looking out for me and have no idea how to fix an economy. The best years of any administration were under Democrat Bill Clinton, a balanced budget and a surplus. Thanks to Bush II, all that went away. Sorry Republicans, I'm not voting for a party that puts themselves and their party oath above the greater good.

June 29, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Marcus

Mr. Boehner, I know that the 50s are regarded as a 'pure, just and glorious' period by most Americans.
    Sort of a Golden Age...
    That could not be far away from the truth.
    Segregation was starting to realize that its days were numbered, and wasn't happy about it. Mysoginism was so great that the whole war effort made by the women during the WWII was diminished, ridicularized or forgotten. The government (or its agents) was always right, no matter how much wrong the facts proved that it was.
    And on and on and on!!!
    It's a hard time the days we live now?
    As hard as it was back then.
    But at least the lies that sheltered the people from the reality are just that today, LIES.
    Go live in your delusional world if you want...

June 29, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  10. Jim

Nice tie Boehner. How could anyone take this rabid fool seriously when he's wearing a pink tie. The Republican party is old and outdated. I am surprised they don't wear wigs when in session. Hopefully the good people of Ohio will send Howdy Doody to the unemployment line. He is a disgrace and a liar. Hmm let's see if his insurance company gives him the boot if he gets cancer from his tanning bed. Your a joke Boehner please climb back under the rock from which you came from.

June 29, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  11. Who Cares?

Just more Conservative code to all their fellow racists out there :

Translation :

"During my youth, we never would have elected a Black man as President"

June 29, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  12. Henry Miller, Libertarian

The number of spineless, whining, wimps in these fora is truly discouraging. So many of you seem to be perfectly willing to surrender your rights and your wallets to Big Brother.

To be honest, I wouldn't much care except that in surrendering your rights to the Nanny State, you're attempting to deprive me of my rights, and most of you losers who want "government" to take care of you want to tax the hell out of me to pay for it all.

June 29, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  13. Teena

Boehner wants to take the country "back"–back to when women, blacks, and any other ethnic minorities were viewed as second class citizens. back to the time white men ran things and everyone else knew their place. Or when the "ole boys" club allowed the little lady to do something as long as THEY controlled her!
    Hey Boehner, I grew up in Ohio in the same time as you and I remember the civil rights era–did you forget??
    So don't tell me about going back. I have worked too hard to ensure a bright future for my grandchildren, male AND female. You will have to drag me back kicking and screaming.

But then you and your oil buddies might just have enough money to drag ALL of us back.

June 29, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  14. PORAY

Boehner and flys I do despise, one spreads germs the other spreads lies, the more Boehner speaks the more I like flys.

June 29, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  15. EqualPolitics4Everyone

The democrats have put our nation's security and economy in jeopardy.

For one thing, there are more people with their hands out demanding the government give them welfare, free insurance and other things. Heck, the democrats even allow illegal aliens to pay lower tuition rates than American taxpaying citizens.

In addition, the democrats want to grant amnesty to all 13-15 million illegal aliens. Do you liberals understand how much that jeopardizes our national security? I cannot believe you would actually be for this. What is wrong with you? A lot of you need to take basic economic and basic political courses and make decisions on your own rather than listen to the mainstream media or vote for Obama because he "looks cool."

Congressman Boehner, I applaud you in your fight and support you.

June 29, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  16. Stephan

That would be the Ohio where innocent college students were gunned down by the National Guard – right?

June 29, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  17. AEK

So Bush and the Republicans can spend eight years running the economy in the ground, sending our jobs overseas, and running up the debt with their wars, but President Obama only has 18 months to fix everything? Wow! Quite a feat for anyone. Maybe the Republicans should take a moment to look inward before spewing their vile hatred and tired policies.

June 29, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  18. Tom in Wheaton

To: Barack.Hussein.Obama-America's-Benevolent-DICTATOR,
    Today's Republicans are trying to "balance the budget" in the face of 10% unemployment. The last guy who tried that was Herbert Hoover. It's idiotic. And you're an idiot.

June 29, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. ChristopherM

If the America Boehner grew up in is the place that gave him the attitude that makes it seem like he'd rather be kicking puppies and evicting widows rather than legislating, then I'd say it needed to be snuffed out to make a better place. Perhaps a place where legislators don't look like human tangerines.

June 29, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  20. DAW NC

that may not be a bad thing when you think about the man and his world.

June 29, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  21. jnapoli@hansonbridgett.com

A lame leader for the party of NO. Offers nothing of substance and only partisan criticism. Hey Boehner were is the armagedon you crowed about reagrdin g the health bill. You do not live in a real world, just your political world. Power and greed.

June 29, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  22. Jack the Vet

Here we go folks, out comes the fear-mongering GOP'ers led by "Boner" himself spewing their snarky sound bites to scare the masses. The have the nerve to blame Obama for "spending" when there was no choice, just cracks me up. Who's suppose to pay for the wars we got in to? What was the plan then, Boner? Thanks for leaving the bill and bitching about the deficit. What went on the 8 yrs. prior to "evil" Obama that was heading down the path of success? Oh right, not a damn thing! Are memories so short that anyone with half of a brain can forget what the GOP has done to this country? Only idiots would vote GOP; sadly there are a lot of them here. Remember, "mission accomplished"?

June 29, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  23. Limbaugh is a liberal

I can't stop lughing! Does this guy have so little respect for Americans that he thinks we've already forgotten the crimes he and his party committed? Americans aren't that stupid! Current polls show that Americans still overwhelmingly remember that our current recession was the fault of republicans!

June 29, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  24. Darth Vadik, CA

Tim – Wilmington, DE

Well put Tim, as good a comment as I have read in a long time

June 29, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  25. Me

The Republican campaign talking points–

If I can't win votes with facts, I'll win them with charm.
    If I can't win votes with charm, I'll win them with lies.
    If I can't win them with lies, I'll win them with fear.

June 29, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |