June 29th, 2010

Kagan: I've only cried once during process

Kagan said Tuesday she did break down during one part of the confirmation process.

(CNN) – Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan has largely remained stoic during her appearance before the Senate Judiciary Committee, but the potential top court justice said Tuesday she did break down during one part of the confirmation process.

Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy read Kagan an op-ed from former Harvard Law graduate and Marine Captain Robert Merrill in which he praises Kagan's controversial dealings with the military when she served as dean at Harvard.

"Senator Leahy that was... this has been a sort of long process, this process and sometimes an arduous one," said Kagan. "I've only cried once during this process and I cried when I woke up one morning and I read that op-ed from Captain Merrill. It meant just an enormous amount to me. He is a magnificent man doing great things for our country and his praise meant more to me than anybody's."

In the op-ed, Merrill writes, "if Elena Kagan is anti-military she certainly didn't show it. She treated the veterans at Harvard like VIPs. She was a fervent advocate of our veterans association."

Kagan has faced fire for her attempts to block military recruiting from the Harvard Law School campus because of her opposition to the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy.

Filed under: Elena Kagan • Popular Posts • Supreme Court
  1. Give Respect When Its Due

I saw an interview with the solder about Kagan, and his words were enough to convinced me. Partisan opinion should out weigh real life situations. She has shown to me, at least, that she is willing to be open minded despite her political opinions.

June 29, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. bj

All the best to Ms. Kagan. On the other hand, Sessions wouldn't know the truth if it slapped him upside the head. That goes for the majority of the Republicans. They lie, lie and lie and never give a straight answer about anything. It is unfortunate that CNN does not really push these folks during interviews like MSNBC. It almost seems like you are supporting the dishonesty. Does Sessions believe that Palin lacks professional integrity? She hasn't told the truth about anything yet.

June 29, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. Paul E

The anti-military meme from the right is just a bunch of smoke-blowing. They won't be satisfied unless the nominee is another Roberts or Alito. Kagan is supremely qualified. Carry on.

June 29, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. Fred Riek

I am so sick and tired of Republican obstructionism. This nominee is so obviously qualified and of such high quality. Yet, Republicans are blind to anything other than obstructing anything that the President wants to do for the Country. To Republican, the Country be damed if they can prevent any success for Obama. I hope people remember when they vote this November the extreme disservice that Republicans are perpetuating against our government, the people and our Country.

June 29, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. Jim

There is a difference between fighting against the "don't ask, don't tell" policy and being anti-military. The whole Republican plan is to turn her confirmation into a mud-fight, just like they have tried to turn everything into a mud fight since President Obama was elected. They just want to waste time so they don't have to stand up and be counted on issues like financial regulation and energy policy.

June 29, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. Shirley in California

Personally, I don't like this woman but I know our president gave this considerable thought.

June 29, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  7. Steve

What was Merrill promised for the letter?
    Seems very strange and what a joke that this brought her to tears.

June 29, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  8. Martin Costello

Ms. Kagan is a very classy woman. I look forward to reading her opinions when she is confirmed a Supreme Court Justice

June 29, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. Bob of Lompoc

Left wing crazed Liberal here and I don't like this woman as Surpreme Court Justice. She is a slightly Right Wing thinker. This will come back to haunt the Dems. Bad, bad idea. Sometimes I wonder about President Obama.

June 29, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |