June 30th, 2010

California congressman calls activist 'wacko'

California Democrat Pete Stark had a spirited discussion at a recent town hall.
California Democrat Pete Stark had a spirited discussion at a recent town hall.

(CNN) - Rep. Pete Stark must like going viral, at least amongst his conservative detractors.

"Who are you going to kill today?" is how he solicited a question from a self-proclaimed Minuteman - the volunteer organization, which tries to prevent illegal crossings of the U.S. border - at a recent town hall meeting in Fremont, California. It went from there.

The questioner continued, seen on a video posted by The Golden Gate Minuteman on Youtube, questioning the California Democrat over what the government will do to "to seal our borders so that we're a solvent country again."

Stark's answer: "We can't get enough Minuteman armed. We'd like to get all the Minuteman armed so they could stop shooting the people here," Stark said.

The questioner defended himself: "That's not our job – we're just citizens looking for the United States government to constitutionally protect us."

"We'll try to get you some more arms and get you down there to shoot people," Stark responded.

The back and forth continued. Other attendees joined in asking the congressman to provide his "smart answer".

"Our borders are quite secure, thank you," the congressman stated. The questioner continued, stating many undocumented immigrants cross the border every year and that it would then not be secure. Stark asked the questioner what he would do to secure the border.

"I would send about 25,000 troops down there for one thing. I would build a wall," he said.

The congressman asked how high a wall and how long and then said "we'll go start a ladder company" and "I'll sell a whole lot of ladders."

"This is a very serious matter," the questioner continued, "and you're making fun of it."

"I don't have to make fun of you, sir, you do a fine job all by yourself," Stark retorted later referring to the questioner as a "wacko."

Stark's office had no comment on his statements.

This is not the first time Stark has spoken his mind during a town hall. In September of last year he told a man he wouldn't "waste the urine" to pee on his leg.

Filed under: 2010 • California • Immigration • Pete Stark • Popular Posts
  1. Rickster

This guy needs to get his rotund rear end kicked. Unfortunately, this is today's democrat party. Remember Pete Stark in November.

June 30, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. Allen in Hartwell GA

If I lived in California's Representative Stark's district I would be hoping another Democrat would run for the seat Stark now holds. Who is this guy trying to impress? Does he want Democrats to stay home and not vote? Surely his most ardent supporters must be embarrassed. If I had his bumper sticker on my car I'd be gnawing it off.

June 30, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. Augsbee

I think it's time Rep.Stark retires, he's from the old school of don't ask, none of your business, I'll answer with sarcasm so that I don't have to answer.

Frankly, we don't need this old style politicians anymore. We need people that communicate with us not mock us and send us on our way as if they owned Washington.

June 30, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  4. phoenix86

Stark is a prime example of an elected representative that no longer cares what his constituents think. I hope he gets defeated in November and ends up homeless.

June 30, 2010 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  5. valwayne

People in CA should look at the arrogance and dishonesty of the people they have representing them, and make up their minds to make a change in Nov. This man is suppose to be a Congressman and a Representative of the people? He clearly doesn't live next to the border with armed drug dealers going back and forth every day and shooting down anybody who gets in their way on either side of the border. Congressman Stark is a disgrace!!!

June 30, 2010 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  6. Mike Cooper

If the circumstances of the story above are accurate; if the Minuteman asked his question politely and sought a straight answer, while Stark responded with sarcasm, ridicule, and disgust, then I would have to say this Democratic Congressman is a Tea Party-esque fool who doesn't deserve his seat.

Kind of weird to see the shoe on the other foot, but I have no problem calling out uncivil BS where ever I see it.

June 30, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. phoenix86

Everything wrong with policians is on display with this walking nightmare.

June 30, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. kimberly

hes right, these right wing nuts have absolutely lost their minds, and are dangerous and unhinged. They are a scary group of wackos!

June 30, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  9. Randall

Like stupid, you can't fix whacko. Can't even embarrass them with satire. That's way over their heads.

June 30, 2010 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. democrat no mas

I would make fun of the border violence too if I was a well protected Congressman. Those of us who live an hour and a half from a real war zone find it less funny. Stark's flippant attitude is proof to me that nobody in DC has answers to this problem. Nor do they care. Let them eat cake, Congressman, let them eat cake.

June 30, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  11. Eric in Denver

Typical liberal hack. On the bright side it opens up an opportunity for republicans. Tell me he didn't say the borders are secure!! Even a blue state like California needs to realize this guy is NUTS. The sad part is that a number of people on this forum will agree like Sniffit the socialist genius.

June 30, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. all of america

Another STUPID and IGNORANT remark from a dumacrat ! Sounds they get their speech lessons from pelosi the loser. We need political clensing, remove them from the U.S. !

June 30, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. Bill May

I just heard the comments Congressman Stark made when asked about securing the border. To me, that was the most ignorant, arrogant, insensitive remark that I have ever heard an elected official make regarding this subject. He was asked a fair question politely and he belittled the gentleman asking the question. Pete Stark is an ignorant SOB and should be voted out of office. I do not live in California and frankly could care less about that state and most of it's elected officials but this moron struck a nerve. Wake up America. Bill May, Palm Coast, Florida. I am not ashamed to openly state my feelings regarding this idiot.

June 30, 2010 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. thor

This so-called Congressman's behavior speaks volumes about what has upset most Americans.To mock and make fun at people that are upset because illegal immigrants are pouring across our nation's borders while idiots like this Congressman sit on his posterior and does nothing to stop this invasion is mind boggling to say the least !!.I hope the voters will send this guy packing whenever he comes up for reelection as he has demonstrated his lack of competentcy to hold the position for which he was elected.

June 30, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  15. Floyd Scott

Another Democrate who can't take the heat. Why can't he provide an answer. The press will not hold any Democrate to the heat to give answers but let them get away with answers like Biden and this other idiot give

June 30, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  16. Hendrik

Oh, boy, the Minutemen again. I thoughts these idiots were long gone. They just had to get their face back in the discussion. "Me, teacher, me, me, me, me".

Republicans are clowns, all of them, no exceptions.

June 30, 2010 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  17. Louise Clymer

Who is running against him? I need to know where to
    send my support. He is disgusting.

June 30, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Mike

what else would you expect from a left wing nutjob. i guess he forgets who he works for. with an attitude like his he wont be working for us anymore when it comes time for reelection

June 30, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  19. Anonymous

What a typical Lib. No answers so attack the questioner. He is lucky he didnt get punched in the face for disrespecting the people there. Glad I dont live in his district. Whether one might agree or not they still deserve respect. He is infintile and a typical Lib.....

June 30, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  20. Patrick

Wow a congressman basically admitting to being an open border anarchist. Good job people of California for voting him in.

June 30, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  21. NancyLV

This congressman is scum he should not be a representative of the people of his district but what do I expect it is California after all. I listened to this and i would have gone balestic if he would have talked to me the way he talked to this crowd. Who the hell o does he think he is. If his district had any sense they will vote him out.

June 30, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  22. Dan Parker

Even leaving aside for the moment his more juvenile commentary (he looks to be about 60, but speaks like a spoiled 12 year-old)...

– "Our borders are quite secure, thank you,"

What color is the sky in Stark's world? Or is he referring to the local Border's Bookstore?

The childish, insulting voicemail he recently left for a National Guardsman further illustrates what a low-class piece of offal this clown really is.

June 30, 2010 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  23. Bob of Lompoc

The Republican Minutemen show up at these Town Halls and other meetings just to ask these silly questions. They are silly because Republicans can't understand something that is simple – their allies, the American Businessman/woman have dangled the high wages (compared to what the border jumpers could earn in A N Y Nation south of the Rio Grande), in front of the Aliens, basically sucking the Aliens into the USA, and then, after taking advantage of the dirt cheap labor they get from the Aliens, send their allies such as the Minutemen to these meetings to be disruptive. More than that, their intent is to pretend that "Illegal Immigration" is a Democrat idea and the Democrats fault.

June 30, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  24. Aaron

If Stark thinks the southern border is secure, he is way out of touch with reality. If he's just being a smart aleck when questioned about how he would handle serious issues, he should go home and post his own whacked out videos on YouTube.

June 30, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. RT

Stark is the wacko and one of the rudest politicians out there. I'm glad they're stuck with him in Northern California. It tells a lot about the mentality of the voters up there that would continue to vote to keep this embarrasment to even lowly politicians in office. As one who lives a lot closer to the southern border than he, the border is NOT secure.

June 30, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |