June 30th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards talks Rielle Hunter and more on Larry King

(CNN) - Elizabeth Edwards, who became legally separated from husband John Edwards in January, is again speaking out about the woman who was instrumental in ending her marriage.

Speaking to CNN's Larry King in an exclusive primetime interview airing Wednesday, Edwards took aim at Rielle Hunter – the woman with whom John Edwards engaged in an affair and fathered a child – for posing provocatively in a magazine earlier this year.

"I did see the pictures and I think it's really important when you're a mother to convey that's the role you value and I think she just had too many T's to cross," Edwards said. "She also wanted to be viewed as sexy and everything else. At some point you can be sexy but that can't be your goal.

The photos in question were published in GQ magazine last February and show Hunter in several suggestive positions. Hunter herself was very upset with the photos the magazine ran, telling ABC's Barbara Walters she had wrongly trusted the photographer would make them tasteful.

In the wide-ranging interview airing on CNN at 9 p.m. ET, Edwards also dismisses charges from Hunter that her marriage was dysfunctional even before John Edwards began to have an affair in 2006.

"If that were true, why would John and I have worked so hard, under such difficult and public circumstances to make the relationship work," said Edwards. "I really think we both worked hard in the end to make it work. And I suppose there are a lot of women in her position who like to justify their behavior...by thinking this relationship in which they are thrusting themselves wasn’t valuable to begin with. It was clearly valuable to both of us and something we tried very hard to save."

Edwards' comments come as the paperback edition of her 2009 book Resilience is set to be released. The latest edition includes a new chapter about her separation earlier in the year.

1. Sally

Sorry, Rielle, but if you;re posing on a bed in a man's shirt and nothing else, just how tasteful did you think the photo would possibly be? You are not that big of an idiot, although it is never too bright to start an affair with a very public married man, is it?
    You come from the Palin school of, "Oh, my, the media is out to get me...I NEVER would do anything illegal or immoral, or against God." Right.
    Until you do.

June 30, 2010 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  2. GI Joe

Is she selling another book?

If she was "normal", she'd move into a more modest home, save her money (she has millions), and stay off the gossip shows.

I'm losing respect for the whiners. Lots of women have lost husbands to younger women, and they don't whine about it on TV. They quietly move on. FOR THE KIDS.

June 30, 2010 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  3. Robert

John, Elizabeth and Rielle should disappear.

June 30, 2010 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  4. Hangar 13

I feel very sympathetic for Ms. Edwards, but it appears she still hasn't learned the truth of the old adage, if you marry for money, you earn every penny of it.

June 30, 2010 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  5. Danielle

I watched the Today show this morning and they have Elizabeth Edwards TAKING ABOUT HER MARRIAGE (again) and problems in her life with John and her illness....I think that's enough for trashing the father of your kids...I also got divorce and life did not end there...Stop your self pity..stand up, dress better and do not talk any more about what happened ... that's life and a lot of people have the same story and don't go around , trying to sell yours....Stop already please....you don't look good any more...you never did...people are not interested...

June 30, 2010 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  6. La Piovra

Her marriage was always dysfunctional because her husband was always dysfunctional. Consider his taste in mistresses. If I were a good-looking, charismatic politician with a real chance at the Presidency, I would only jeopardize that for a real dish.

June 30, 2010 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  7. TamarS

Elizabeth Edwards just can't keep quiet, can she? She gets attention as well – just as in a very different way. How often did she use her role as "John Edwards wife" to get herself acknowledged? To get herself a book eal? To get herself on television? She should just remain quiet and maybe (in time – m-a-y-b-e) regain some personal dignity. Lately she just makes herself look angry and vengeful.

June 30, 2010 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  8. Ferret out the BS

Rielle Hunter is afraid of getting old and not being sexy enough for those camaras which will happen in time. John's a fool.

June 30, 2010 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  9. Anonymous

Good for you Elizabeth.

June 30, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  10. Anonymous

Well said Mrs. Edwards.

June 30, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  11. Michelle Harrell

Although I don't condone what happened with this situation, Elizabeth needs to let it go and move on. Set an example for your children and rise above the turmoil to show your children that most people will get theirs in the long run and that it is a waste of precious time to be worried about trash like Rielle.

June 30, 2010 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  12. isabella clark

It is time for Elizabeth to take the high road. Enough. We could use some dignified role models. This continual thrashing about, trying to get the last word, appearing in the media whenever possible, is just over-kill. Stop, already. There is nothing to be won, explained or achieved. It was a political and personal catastrophe. Enough. It feels like she is just milking the tragedy for every last ounce of sympathy. It's embarrassing. Let it rest. Get on with your life.

June 30, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  13. Dis-gusted

Mz. Hunter is full of herself, and looking out for Number One, and that isn't her illegitmate baby OR John Edwards. And to think I would've voted for John Edwards.......what a dufus!

June 30, 2010 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  14. Rob

Who cares? Go away.

June 30, 2010 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  15. Charlie in Maine

If it happened with these two, I guess it really could happen to anyone. I have to say what makes John Edwards behavior worse than some of the others is that his wife had cancer to dea with and instead of being by her side (remember the old in sickness and in health clause?) he was out fooling around. Just goes to show you someone can have great policies and care a lot for people and still be a dirty rotten SOB.

June 30, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. Jane

Elizabeth, you have moved on and have risen above this affair. You are dignified and respectable, which is far more than you can say for John and Rielle. Clearly, you have integrity and strength and character. Your children are lucky. Carry on. Doing well.

June 30, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  17. Dan

There comes a time, Elizabeth, when you reach a point with the public where they don't know whether to sympathize with you or not. That point is rapidly approaching. I think you need to quietly fade out of the public spotlight. I think it is a shame what happened to you and your kids. I think your husband is a shmuck. I also am pretty sure you had a good inkling that he was doing this sort of thing behind your back and turned a blind eye towards it if it would get you to the White House. Stop trying to be a sounding board for every cheated upon wife in America.

June 30, 2010 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  18. reader

Rielle cried for 2 hours after she saw the photos??? What did she think they were going to look like? If you take your clothes off and only put on a shirt and pose in compromising positions, why be surprised when that is what your photos look like? Are we supposed to feel sorry for her? I DON'T THINK SO.

June 30, 2010 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  19. May

Well gee Hunter, how can a photographer make something tasteful out of something that's not? Shame on Hunter ! Shame for everything!

June 30, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  20. Get A Grip

The Edwards deserve each other. Elizabeth Edwards is no.... 'oh, poor me, I've been so mistreated'.

June 30, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  21. AB

No one forced Ms Hunter to get photographed as she did. I do not believe her when she says that she was tricked. I am 100% sure that she wanted it that way.

June 30, 2010 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  22. Hugo

Who cares anymore what this dried up old liberal hag has to say about her lying, cheating husband or his gold digging groupie. These are the type of people that exemplify and define what the liberal progressive elitists are as well as their movement toward destroying our Constitution. Do as I say while I live off your fat and if your a good little socialist or fascist troll that tows the line, I'll throw you a government job, funded of course by someone else's hard work. Where is that Edwards campaign fraud investigation going anyway? Must be tucked right up there on the docket behind the Charlie Rangle and Sestak's case....

June 30, 2010 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  23. Daniel

Hunter is a pig!

June 30, 2010 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  24. LSG

So the lady allowed a photographer to take a picture of her in a man's shirt and nothing else on top of a bed....how exactly did she expect the photographer to make something like this tasteful?

June 30, 2010 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  25. Nancy

Hunter posed for the pictures, how can she possibly be dissappointed?? She and John Edwards deserve each other.
    I do pray that Elizabeth Edwards can fight this cancer and have a fulfilling long life ahead of her.

June 30, 2010 09:43 am at 9:43 am |