June 30th, 2010

Kirk strikes back with 2 new ads

Senate hopeful Mark Kirk is up with two new ads in Illinois.
Senate hopeful Mark Kirk is up with two new ads in Illinois.

Washington (CNN) – Less than twenty-four hours after his admission that he misrepresented his military record, the campaign of Senate hopeful Mark Kirk has released two ads that slam his Democratic opponent.

Kirk, the Republican nominee hoping to capture President Obama's old Senate seat, admitted during a news conference Tuesday that he had mischaracterized his military record.

"I am not perfect, and I was careless. I will do better and make sure this never happens again," Kirk said.

But now his campaign is striking back at Alexi Giannoulias, the Democrat who earlier this year waged a public relations battle of his own following the failure of a bank owned by his family.

The two ads, titled "Risky" and "Stand," both warn that Giannoulias will raise taxes.

Updated 1:00 p.m.: Read the Giannoulias campaign response after the jump.

But that's where the similarities end.

"Risky" focuses on the failure of Broadway Bank, where Giannoulias was employed before being elected Illinois State Treasurer.

"Alexi Giannoulias is only 34 years old," the ads narrator says." But what a 34 years it's been."

The 30-second spot then turns to loans made while Giannoulias was employed at the bank and his investment decisions as state treasurer before the narrator asks, "Alexi Giannoulias. Trust him with your money?"

"Stand" makes reference to the oil spill currently plaguing the Gulf of Mexico, and highlights Kirk's environmental record, which includes efforts to stem the pollution of Lake Michigan.

"Mark Kirk won praise for helping stop BP when it tried to pollute Lake Michigan," the narrator says.

The Giannoulias campaign shot back Wednesday afternoon, releasing a statement and an ad of their own.

"By his own admission, Congressman Mark Kirk has lied repeatedly about his military record and other parts of his professional life, and now he is lying about Alexi," Giannoulias spokesman Matt McGrath said. "After promising the people of Illinois a renewed commitment to honesty and transparency, Congressman Kirk couldn't even make it a single day before lying again."

Titled "On and On," the Giannoulias ad is a video compilation of instances in which Kirk has stretched the truth about his military record, coupled with news reports detailing the allegations against the five-term congressman.

Kirk and Giannoulias are seeking the seat currently held by Sen. Roland Burris, who decided not to pursue the Democratic nomination.

Filed under: 2010 • Alexi Giannoulias • Illinois • Mark Kirk
  1. doug

Are there any decent kind-hearted people in OBlagma land?

WIth the kind of libs they elect, the answer seems to be no.

June 30, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  2. lolo

Whther Democrat or Republican, if they lied about servicng in the war or anything else. they should lose. Can you imagine them in office lying. All of ypu need to get a grip.

June 30, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  3. doug

"Giannoulias has ties to the Chicago mob"

Isn't that a requirement to be a part of the Democrat party in OBlagma land?

Mob is just short for Democrat.

June 30, 2010 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. @ Riley

Riley June 30th, 2010 12:29 pm ET

Haven't you learned yet? You cannot trust any democrat from Chicago...Blago and Obama included.
    ________________________________________

Riley really you can't trust any politican from any state or city if you are gonna say that

June 30, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. steve

wow... its ok to lie about your military service.. im a vet so its ok. i mean good thing you werent stuck at a airport with a rollingstone reporter or it would have ended your career.. but your a politican who lies.. whats new.. and lieing about your military service.. good for you... your folks should elect you no problem just keep lying and all is forgiven... your another low life smuck but thats ok... ask for nailin palins help... by the way are you a citizen? can you prove it? oh that doesnt matter either. just say sorry you didnt know and you will try harder... have you mentioned if your a teabagger yet? that is the best way to get elected you know...... you do know that right? ask sarah.....

tired of these people ruining our country....

June 30, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. Chicago..the city of mobs and beautiful clean streets

As a chicagoan...our politicians may be dirty but our citys clean and beautiful and the majority of the people are happy. So someones doing something right here. I LOVE CHICAGO!!!!!!!!

June 30, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. tweety

As a Illinois resident, I find his back tracking hilarious. Please, we all know how full of it Kirk is.
    His LIES about his service record are on purpose. Just another ploy by the Republicanknuckleheads to get votes.

I'll tell them I was POW, yeah, and than I'll tell them I won the Purple Herat, oh, and than I'll tell them I was in the movie Heartbreak Ridge with Clint and killed all of kinds of enemies!
    That should appeal to all the old people Republicans who still care about this as part of my platform. Yeah, its a plan! LIES, and more LIES.

Good luck Kirk. You are toast already in this state.

June 30, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. VB Lincoln Park NJ

And people make jokes about New Jersey politics. Sorry, but this one is funnier.

June 30, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. hmmm

The Chicago democrats are too corrupt. Hopefully IL residents will use their heads during this election.

June 30, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. Marty, FL

'Trust'...interesting choice of words coming from Kirk, who just admitted to telling repeated lies.

I'll say it again...
    Too often 3 words escape the Republican mindset:
    Irony, Projection & Hypocrisy

June 30, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. Gil

Just a typical repuglican! The only things that come out of their mouth are lies or the word, "NO."

June 30, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. jae

to riley and other racists I mean republicans,
    out of that state, a republican is the only one in jail right now. also, I just want to say how appreciative we are that we have racists, I mean republicans, showing us Family Values. Some examples: Palin – daughter that had unprotected sex in her home while she was underage and now telling the world that she just dealt with it and that is what everybody should do. Palin – 6/29-I am here for the people of Alaska. 6/30 – I am very sorry to say, that I QUIT. I just cannot give up this great opportunity to be a special commentator for FAUX NEWS. I will always remember you people of Alaska. Cheney – what did you say, "u know what – GO F^$! URSELF" Senator Lott – Man, it is noon but here inside the city, it is awfully dark? Didnt Mr. Thurmond take care of all of these cockroaches? Oh yeah, we didnt follow Mr. Thurmonds advice to us in the 50's and 60's or else we wouldnt have this problem" Senator Bill Frisk – dont worry Just like Jesus took out Section 8 housing in New Orleans, he'll take care of them Dark things or "People that are colored" of course I am not gonna say "colored people" because that would be racist. Bush – dont worry everybody, we will smoke them out!!!!!

June 30, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  13. Fed Up!

I had hoped that Mark Kirk would run a campaign that addressed the issues, but apparently that is not to be.

He has quickly adapted the same old GOP fear mongering tactics that average American voters are rejecting this year.

Mark Kirk is out of touch with the typical Illinois voter.

June 30, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. Chipster

"Haven't you learned yet? You cannot trust any democrat from Chicago..." Obama has done a lot of what he promised and is still trying to overcome Republican blocks to his commitments.

Actually, no, I haven't learned that because we weren't able to trust Bush and Cheney when they lied about Iraq to justify their war. You remember that war, don't you? The one we're still paying for and the one that took the resources we needed in Afghanistan to catch the people who attacked us on 9/11!

June 30, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  15. Sniffit

It's honestly such a parody at this point. "Beware...he'll raise taxes...boogity boogity boo!"

June 30, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  16. Mike

I dont get it... If my family owned a bank and it failed, what does that have to do with me? Even if I worked there? Several banks failed because of what happened in the housing market. At least he hasn't been caught flat out lying. I dont understand how Kirk is even in this. Just shows how amazingly ignorant the American public is. I guess the long term Republican plan to make sure Americans are as dumb as possible is working. Now the Republicans spoon feed the public whatever they want and we eat it up. I just heard a guy complaining about taxes and redistribution of wealth while he was getting his money for unemployment. Idiots.

June 30, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  17. Sniffit

I looked in the thesaurus. Nowhere under "lie" or or "liar" or "lying" or "fibber" or "fabrication" or "mandacity" does it say "careless."

June 30, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  18. Molly Weasley

Putting "Kirk" and "trust" in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Or maybe Kirk is just a moron.

June 30, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  19. Juan Jimenez

Ho-hum. A repukeblican "mispresenting" himself... on military record... on his religious values... on his moral values... on his marriage values... and now he thinks people should believe him, with that ugly 12 foot nose of his. LOL!

June 30, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. cardog

Republicans and the Republican party have no remorse or shame in what they have done to this country. They now have the gall to say that they are working for the American people. What's even worse is that there are Americans (mostly conservatives) who believe thier garbage.

Radio talk shows throughout the U.S. ( mostly conservatives) talk about how the Democrats ( liberals) are preaching hate, and I have to laugh. Has anyone listen to the ABC affiliates on talk radio that broadcasts Michael Savage, Mark Levine,Laura Ingram,Niel Boortz or on T.V, SEan Hannity, Glen Beck????
    The only hope that I see for this country is the young people, people of color, and older people that have minds of their own coming out in droves to vote and tell these right wing nut jobs where to go.

June 30, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  21. D. Bunker

I see that the basic skill known as "compare and contrast" is lost on some of you. Blumenthal did misspeak about his service. However, he many times accurately stated his service record, and the local press confirms this. Kirk on the other hand, never made a habit of telling the truth about his military service. So if you have an IQ greater than a gnat, you should be able to see that Kirk is by far the bigger liar.

June 30, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  22. Sniffit

HA..."mendacity"...my darn typing needs to catch up to my spelling

June 30, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  23. cardog

To: Riley...after 8 long years of republicans in the White House and controlling congress, you have to be kidding to compare Democrats with the party of "NO". For two years now the republicans have done nothing but push misinformation, obstruct any progress that could have been made for our country.
    Between the republican party, the tea baggers and the birthers, you must believe the following:
    1) Our country has been stolen or taken over by communist. ( We need to take our country back?)
    2) Since the enactment of the Health Care law, Gulags are being built for those who disagree with Obamacare as they call it.
    3) Death panels are in place to determine if grandma lives or dies.
    4) Black Ops helicopters are over-head watching all of us
    Need I go on with this utter rediculous nonsense? I list it out because this is not made up crap, it's real in the minds of the right.
    The right wing, the tea party and the birthers do not find it offensive that idiots come to the nation's capital armed with AK47s, that a state like Minn. can elect an idiot like Michelle Bachmann, that groups can hang on to every word spoken by the likes of Sarah Palin who did not know that there are two Koreas....If we do not stand up in November 2010 and again in 2012, this country will slip back into the 1950s...I don't want to go back, I would rather move forward.

June 30, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |